People in glass houses should not start throwing stones

Go to 2:45 - that's the voice that I decided to say it in :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    People in glass houses should not start throwing stones

Go to 2:45 - that's the voice that I decided to say it in :awesome:

Shoosht you.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here worked in a karting place before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    Not really, more the sign of middle class teenagers whose parents have more money than sense. Most teenagers don't have the opportunity to splash money around let alone have portfolios of shares to mess around with.
    Having shares isn't that different from other luxuries a middle class teenager might have. Someone might have bought them for him/her.
    Plus it's absurd to say that the teenagers (or the person(s) who bought them for said teenager) have more money than sense because of it, especially when your only reason for saying that is

"Most teenagers don't have the opportunity to splash money around let alone have portfolios of shares to mess around with."

Cars are a luxury, if a 17 year old willingly has a driving test and then passes and happily spends money on petrol and insurance and then other things like furry dice does that mean they have more money than sense?

I'm guessing you wouldn't, even though the two aren't that different.

ReputationRep:
    I am tempted to get some shares, although I think I might need the money for University :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Having shares isn't that different from other luxuries a middle class teenager might have. Someone might have bought them for him/her.
    Plus it's absurd to say that the teenagers (or the person(s) who bought them for said teenager) have more money than sense because of it, especially when your only reason for saying that is

"Most teenagers don't have the opportunity to splash money around let alone have portfolios of shares to mess around with."

Cars are a luxury, if a 17 year old willingly has a driving test and then passes and happily spends money on petrol and insurance and then other things like furry dice does that mean they have more money than sense?

I'm guessing you wouldn't, even though the two aren't that different.
    If a 17 year old living in London with nowhere to commute to bought a car, i would say they have more money than sense.

Then again, i've lived off almost nothing a few times.

(Original post by ajp100688)
    Not really, more the sign of middle class teenagers whose parents have more money than sense.
    Please explain to me why this is the case? would it not actually be quite sensible as it will teach the teenager about handling money which will be useful for the future in general as you'd be better at budgeting and what-not, also it should help them with math skills and with making decisions on the spot that will work out best for not only themselves but when they have a job in the corporate world for their bosses thus increasing chances of rising up through the ranks.

You do realise that the minimum that you need to start dealing in shares is £100 which means that anyone with a job that pays them minimum wage... even below average teenagers can play the market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Please explain to me why this is the case? would it not actually be quite sensible as it will teach the teenager about handling money which will be useful for the future in general as you'd be better at budgeting and what-not, also it should help them with math skills and with making decisions on the spot that will work out best for not only themselves but when they have a job in the corporate world for their bosses thus increasing chances of rising up through the ranks.

You do realise that the minimum that you need to start dealing in shares is £100 which means that anyone with a job that pays them minimum wage... even below average teenagers can play the market.
    I disagree that having shares teaches someone fiscal responsibility, tbh.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    I am tempted to get some shares, although I think I might need the money for University :holmes:
    Same, only have about 200 I could invest and I have heard that's pretty pointless

(Original post by Nothos)
    I disagree that having shares teaches someone fiscal responsibility, tbh.
    In a way it does... when they lose everything they'll have to learn to manage their money to live on and to put back into the market to make money

(Original post by Aj12)
    Same, only have about 200 I could invest and I have heard that's pretty pointless
    Depends on what you buy? study the market for a bit, play with one of those virtual stock markets and see how it turns out then go for the real thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)
    If a 17 year old living in London with nowhere to commute to bought a car, i would say they have more money than sense.

Then again, i've lived off almost nothing a few times.
    I live just outside London and I don't drive, and I've survived just fine so far.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Depends on what you buy? study the market for a bit, play with one of those virtual stock markets and see how it turns out then go for the real thing
    I did that on share centre, over the period of a few weeks I was gradually losing money lol

ReputationRep:
    In a way it does... when they lose everything they'll have to learn to manage their money to live on and to put back into the market to make money
    I fail to see how essentially gambling your money away and then using any new money to continue gambling is fiscally responsible.

ReputationRep:
    Just put 9 essays on coursework. That's another 3 months of being a sub then

(Original post by Aj12)
    I did that on share centre, over the period of a few weeks I was gradually losing money lol
    :lolwut:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    I fail to see how essentially gambling your money away and then using any new money to continue gambling is fiscally responsible.
    It may not make sense now but in future... :lol:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    Just put 9 essays on coursework. That's another 3 months of being a sub then
    Do you get money or is it just credits?

ReputationRep:
    You get 100 credits for every essay you submit.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    :lolwut:

It may not make sense now but in future... :lol:

Don't ask, think I was crap at choosing what shares to buy, just glad it was not real money lol

(Original post by davidmarsh01)
    You get 100 credits for every essay you submit.
    Oh :sad:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Don't ask, think I was crap at choosing what shares to buy, just glad it was not real money lol
    So the whole concept of studying the market went over your head then? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Oh :sad:
    It's good if you want to be a sub on TSR.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.