Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    In your thread you said that "Arm produces billions a year", and in your post that I quoted you said that Arm are a "huge" company.
    Yes sorry, on that I made a mistake

You are definitely implying it in your post.
    Apologies.

And also, why have you ignored all of my other points?
    Because it's kinda pointless but fine.

We are good at it [science, research development etc] << If our economy is so terrible in respect of research and development, why do so many of our companies do it? Just because we "import" individuals, doesn't mean the we aren't good at it. If we weren't good at it at all, the industries wouldn't be here surely?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    dominoes is a piss take. Its cheaper for me to get a large with a garlic bread than a medium on its own. But I don't want a large

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    dominoes is a piss take. Its cheaper for me to get a large with a garlic bread than a medium on its own. But I don't want a large
    Buy a large, fridge what you don't eat for later
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    We are good at it [science, research development etc] << If our economy is so terrible in respect of research and development, why do so many of our companies do it? Just because we "import" individuals, doesn't mean the we aren't good at it. If we weren't good at it at all, the industries wouldn't be here surely?
    Because companies have to do it if they are to continue to develop new technology. Now I realise I might have implied that we are terrible at it when we're not, although I'd hardly say we're "good" at it - certainly not good enough at it to have it as one the pillars of our economy.

Secondly, I doubt how much international companies actually perform their R&D here, or at least any meaningful portions of it. I know my company exclusively performs theirs in Denmark, for example.

And lastly, about imported talent. It means that we are not producing the talent ourselves, which is a major problem if we want to see ourselves as major players in science, technology, research and development. And secondly, what happens if the talent want to go back home where the manufacturing takes place? Why will the future talent that will be developed where the manufacturing takes place want to come here when they can stay in their own countries and set up shop there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Because companies have to do it if they are to continue to develop new technology. Now I realise I might have implied that we are terrible at it when we're not, although I'd hardly say we're "good" at it - certainly not good enough at it to have it as one the pillars of our economy.
    We are good enough to generate quite a substantial amount from it - I never said we were the best, I said we were good.

And lastly, about imported talent. It means that we are not producing the talent ourselves, which is a major problem if we want to see ourselves as major players in science, technology, research and development.
    I agree - I have written on the thread that we need to invest more money in science and technology, mathematics and engingeering - we need to encourage more British students to undertake these subjects and career paths. If we invest more money in reaching children at the early years of education and try and spark their interest, we might start to get more children interested.

We should make it more enjoyable, more exciting, more accessible.

And secondly, what happens if the talent want to go back home where the manufacturing takes place? Why will the future talent that will be developed where the manufacturing takes place want to come here when they can stay in their own countries and set up shop there?
    Immigrants have always come to Britain - if we are a competitive country, we will always be an attractive economy.

ReputationRep:
    BBC Iplayer is really ****ing me right off - it keeps stopping and starting. It's ****ing irritating.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    We are good enough to generate quite a substantial amount from it - I never said we were the best, I said we were good.
    How much do we generate from it?

I agree - I have written on the thread that we need to invest more money in science and technology, mathematics and engingeering - we need to encourage more British students to undertake these subjects and career paths. If we invest more money in reaching children at the early years of education and try and spark their interest, we might start to get more children interested.
    That's all very well, but simply throwing money at it won't solve the problem. We'll never be able to produce good engineers if all we can offer them are modern glass offices in nice parks.

We should make it more enjoyable, more exciting, more accessible.
    That's hardly the problem. The problem is it usually doesn't pay as well as finance and banking, and that is entirely industry's fault.

Immigrants have always come to Britain - if we are a competitive country, we will always be an attractive economy.
    But not necessarily attractive to the talent we'd need if we are to become a major player in technology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    How much do we generate from it?
    That would require research on my part - too busy for that at the moment. Ask me again later please.
    That's all very well, but simply throwing money at it won't solve the problem. We'll never be able to produce good engineers if all we can offer them are modern glass offices in nice parks.
    Create an attractive environment and you will indirectly create more manufacturing jobs - or at least that's the plan.

That's hardly the problem. The problem is it usually doesn't pay as well as finance and banking, and that is entirely industry's fault.
    I wasn't referring to the industry.

ReputationRep:
    BBC Iplayer is really ****ing me right off - it keeps stopping and starting. It's ****ing irritating.
    ITV player is ten times worse! BBC iplayer is generally good perhaps its your internet connection?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    ITV player is ten times worse! BBC iplayer is generally good perhaps its your internet connection?
    I am at a different house, but it's never done this before.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Create an attractive environment and you will indirectly create more manufacturing jobs - or at least that's the plan.
    But we can't create jobs without talent. That's the flaw in the plan.

I wasn't referring to the industry.
    What were you referring to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    But we can't create jobs without talent. That's the flaw in the plan.
    Oh dear God...

Part of the "attractive environment" is the education I was referring to earlier - we need to investment more in education; the sciences, mathematics, engineering and technology based subjects. We need to encourage more children into the sciences but making them more enjoyable, exciting and rewarding.

If that means more of a subsidy for University education then so be it. But we must start at the early years - get in early and really get pupils involved. Science is a great subject - I used to love science, but at secondary school it became boring, hard work but without the rewards or exciting part.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Oh dear God...

Part of the "attractive environment" is the education I was referring to earlier - we need to investment more in education; the sciences, mathematics, engineering and technology based subjects. We need to encourage more children into the sciences but making them more enjoyable, exciting and rewarding.

If that means more of a subsidy for University education then so be it. But we must start at the early years - get in early and really get pupils involved. Science is a great subject - I used to love science, but at secondary school it became boring, hard work but without the rewards or exciting part.
    But what you, for some reason, keep seem to be ignoring is that throwing money at the problem doesn't fix it. You won't create an "attractive environment" unless you still retain at least some forms of manufacturing. This is evident here because there is no shortage of kids interested in STEM up in Aberdeenshire due to the fact that a lot of science and engineering goes on up here that can be seen and experience by kids.

Investment and education isn't the issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    But what you, for some reason, keep seem to be ignoring is that throwing money at the problem doesn't fix it. You won't create an "attractive environment" unless you still retain at least some forms of manufacturing. This is evident here because there is no shortage of kids interested in STEM up in Aberdeenshire due to the fact that a lot of science and engineering goes on up here that can be seen and experience by kids.

Investment and education isn't the issue.
    We already have manufacturing; a fair bit of it! The idea is to build on the already existant manufacturing base. One way of doing that is to make the environment more attractive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesusandtequila)
    The government should not interfere with the press upon freedom of speech grounds, and, whilst agreeing that where laws have been broken, there must be full and proper criminal investigation, that government control and regulation of the press is a very dangerous thing indeed. Thus, the News Corp. takeover of BSkyB should be decided on competition grounds alone, and not as an attempt to win popularity. Does the PM agree, and if not, why not?
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    You know that BSkyB is a privately owned corporation right? Murdoch won't be doing business with the government but the shareholders of BSkyB.

I urge the Prime Minister to not interfere with private business transactions.
    The Government shouldn't allow this BSkyB deal. Murdoch has been pushing for this for a while and I initially supported it because I thought well why not?

The fact is that if the media resorts to such disgusting practices then they should not be dominating any news channel or network.

ReputationRep:
    The Government shouldn't allow this BSkyB deal. Murdoch has been pushing for this for a while and I initially supported it because I thought well why not?

The fact is that if the media resorts to such disgusting practices then they should not be dominating any news channel or network.
    What did you get warned for? :teehee:

You are aware that it isn't just News Corp/International papers that are involved? there are others but as everyone is hating on Murdoch right now they are being let go.

I personally believe that a proper enquiry into the practices of all news outlets is required to be fair and not all anti-Murdoch as it is not just his companies involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    You are aware that it isn't just News Corp/International papers that are involved? there are others but as everyone is hating on Murdoch right now they are being let go.

I personally believe that a proper enquiry into the practices of all news outlets is required to be fair and not all anti-Murdoch as it is not just his companies involved.
    News of the World belonged to News International and Murdoch. A senior figure in News International, Rebekah 'Scum' Brooks, was even the editor of the NOTW when the hackings were made. You seriously expect me to believe that the editor of the paper knew nothing about it? Of course she did; I bet she pushed for it and authorised it and gave pats on the back for people who did well. I bloody hope that she gets exposed for who she is and gets sacked. Innocent journalists are losing their jobs whilst she keeps her healthily paid position despite her hands being as red as her hair.

I hate Murdoch because he is throwing smoke bombs around Brooks and defending her to death. He even closed the paper, I believe, in a bid to protect her.

A proper enquiry should be made and that means arresting Brooks! The BSkyB should be suspended, indefinitely in my opinion, until we find out who knew what but I bet your bottom dollar that Murdoch knew.

(Original post by davidmarsh01)
    What did you get warned for? :teehee:
    I can't remember because I tend not to care. I think it was for something offensive

News of the World belonged to News International and Murdoch. A senior figure in News International, Rebekah 'Scum' Brooks, was even the editor of the NOTW when the hackings were made. You seriously expect me to believe that the editor of the paper knew nothing about it? Of course she did; I bet she pushed for it and authorised it and gave pats on the back for people who did well. I bloody hope that she gets exposed for who she is and gets sacked. Innocent journalists are losing their jobs whilst she keeps her healthily paid position despite her hands being as red as her hair.

I hate Murdoch because he is throwing smoke bombs around Brooks and defending her to death. He even closed the paper, I believe, in a bid to protect her.

A proper enquiry should be made and that means arresting Brooks! The BSkyB should be suspended, indefinitely in my opinion, until we find out who knew what but I bet your bottom dollar that Murdoch knew.
    Congratulations on proving my point that everyone is hating on Murdoch and it therefore willing to look the other way when it comes to non-News Corp/International papers doing the exact same thing.

You also completely missed the point of my enquiry comment, it should be for all news outlets as what is in the UK is happening at nearly all the papers.

Unless you stop on your rant against Murdoch and think rationally I refuse to debate this with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Something has definitely gone wrong. Message RK and have a word:yes:
    Will do :yy:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.