Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    Hmm, I must confess to quite liking the look of 2011 in terms of films: Tintin, X-Men: First Class, On the Road.

I only got around to watching the most recent Harry Potter film yesterday. It was not bad really. Superior to all the recent ones bar Prisoner of Azkaban which is my favourite of the lot.
    Out of curiosity, did you watch King's Speech, and as an anti-monarchist, what was your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    This is less fantasy and more applying realism to Tolkein novels. the sad fact is Tolkein was not actually the greatest writer when it comes down to it. His books in general got to be quite convoluted. The presence of the elves is certainly simpler, it's just unnecessary. Why make such a large change, to make yanks understand it more? It was always a good part of the man's rise thread.
    That particular thread is fairly ill considered in the films because it takes place far more subtly than do the other themes. I think Jackson and co made a conscious decision to avoid drawing too much on that strand and played up the fantastical instead.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm pretty much the same. The cinema is frigging expensive in this country and I tend to watch the non-hollywood stuff anyway so have to find an arthouse cinema to watch them in. Fortunately the Watershed in Bristol fulfils my needs quite happily but it's still not that cheap.
    I only go when friends are going and ask me to to be honest, beyond that I prefer to just watch them online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    Out of curiosity, did you watch King's Speech, and as an anti-monarchist, what was your opinion?
    I haven't and I shalln't for obvious reasons. My gran, who is also an anti-royalist, thought it was "over-rated and boring". To be honest, it's not a film that appeals to me at all.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I got bored and turned it off after a short while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    I hate Daniel Radcliff

The only thing I didn't like about LoTR's... why did Mordor just collapse on itself? what was that about.
    It was to make it clear that all evil had been eradicated, and that good's triumph over evil was the final and ultimate victory.

Or some symbolic **** like that.

*EDIT*: Decidedly beaten to it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Some weirdo (TSR user) just sent me this as a PM: Do the sight of male genitalia make you feel nervous, excited, angry or impartial to nudity?

:lol:

ReputationRep:
    That particular thread is fairly ill considered in the films because it takes place far more subtly than do the other themes. I think Jackson and co made a conscious decision to avoid drawing too much on that strand and played up the fantastical instead.
    Mm, I think you're right there. Gogo Wizard fight!

ReputationRep:
    Mm, I think you're right there. Gogo Wizard fight!
    Yes Penny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Oh. We have Thor this year as well which may be interesting for the so inclined.
    :yy: I will probably be checking that out

ReputationRep:
    Yes Penny.
    Is this me forgetting a LOTR reference?

ReputationRep:
    Is this me forgetting a LOTR reference?
    No, inspector gadget.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    When was Yes penny said in LOTR :lol:

(Original post by thunder_chunky)
    I especially liked how he started off by saying he wasn't racist then later he went on to generalise about African Americans and Muslims.
    He also at one point says:

"Is it racist [to be homophobic]?"

Obviously Im paraphrasing but it made me chuckle.

Also I think it must be a hoax because "Teahad" is far too clever a pun for that guy.

ReputationRep:
    No, inspector gadget.
    Ah. If I'm referencing IG I'll always do the full Go Go Gadget. I use it when I'm directing and the cast are being lazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Something for H+C:

Enjoy
    :cool:
    How hilarious

ReputationRep:
    Spent the day campaigning for the local elections loved it when a fit girl answered the door :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    Spent the day campaigning for the local elections loved it when a fit girl answered the door :sexface:
    When I did a bit of door to door sales last year as a side job I rarely got a good looking lass answering the door.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    How hilarious
    Suit yourself

ReputationRep:
    I thought this was quite amusing:

Spoiler:
    Show

:cool:

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.