Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Adorno)
    Ah but that's the bit that makes Batman much more human. He can die, he can be paralysed, and thus requires his technological advantage and intellect to bring him through situations. That essence of realism is what gets it for me. As much as X Men or Spiderman are great they have gone beyond that.
    They can die though, they just don't (for the most part) - but neither does Batman. I do understand what you mean but for me there is no realism in such things. I watch Sci-Fi for the mock realism/very different context fix and I like it well enough. I've never much liked Superman either though to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14153116

Holy crap! The worst Earthquake for 300 years! After the disaster in Japan, the UK's nuclear plants are going to explode and kill us all. Damn, the Green Party was right, they were a threat!

Oh wait, no just being sarcastic, biggest Earthquake for 300 years and no one even phoned the emergency services - oh dear, the threat and terror is overwhelming.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Russia for only £300, flights and 5* (well its Russia so probs a 3* :lol:) hotel and all :eek: I know what I am doing for my birthday
    Getting your head smashed in at the hands of a xenophobic teenager?

(Original post by paddy__power)
    Getting your head smashed in at the hands of a xenophobic teenager?
    Nah brah although I have no one to go with so it may be well weird :sad:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Ah but that's the bit that makes Batman much more human. He can die, he can be paralysed, and thus requires his technological advantage and intellect to bring him through situations. That essence of realism is what gets it for me. As much as X Men or Spiderman are great they have gone beyond that.
    Why I could never watch a superman film. You know nothing will happen to him really.

I think thats what will make this last film the best. Anything can happen as its Nolan's last batman film

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Why I could never watch a superman film. You know nothing will happen to him really.

I think thats what will make this last film the best. Anything can happen as its Nolan's last batman film
    In general, Nolan's approach has been fairly monochrome: from his choice of Hans Zimmer as the composer to the just frankly boring way in which Batman is presented doesn't really fill me with any kind of enjoyment of the films and this new one looks - from the trailer at least - to be a bit bleh again.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. Part of what made Batman (1989) so much for me was that it was a)the first proper superhero film I watched and b) Danny Elfman's score is such genius. Also apparently both Tim Burton and Danny Elfman are bipolar which speaks to those of us who suffer from it.
    Wait, you're bipolar?

Damn, makes me feel even worse about my dropping out of uni because of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    Wait, you're bipolar?

Damn, makes me feel even worse about my dropping out of uni because of it
    Much to my eternal frustration, yes. But I don't medicate.

ReputationRep:
    Much to my eternal frustration, yes. But I don't medicate.
    Likewise. I did for a bit after hospitalisation, but stopped in September. Haven't had a major manic or depressive episode since then, but my mood still fluctuates a bit but not to the extent it did in late 2008-mid 2009.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    Likewise. I did for a bit after hospitalisation, but stopped in September. Haven't had a major manic or depressive episode since then, but my mood still fluctuates a bit but not to the extent it did in late 2008-mid 2009.
    Yeah, mood swings are probably the worst side effect for me - as people here well know - I've not had a major episode since my 2nd year of university when with a box of 24 tamazepam I seriously contemplated taking the whole lot. Once or twice I've had slides but never anything majorly serious. I don't really drink which helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    They can die though, they just don't (for the most part) - but neither does Batman. I do understand what you mean but for me there is no realism in such things. I watch Sci-Fi for the mock realism/very different context fix and I like it well enough. I've never much liked Superman either though to be honest.
    Batman died recently in the comic books but being comic books it was just an excuse for a big long run of comic books detailing how he came back from the dead (a lot of mumbo-jumbo). He's also had his back snapped and been out of action for the best part of a year in real time.

I've always preferred Batman for this reason aswell, he's a character that can be placed into a real world quite easily and by and large the Nolan movies did that. They've always felt more like crime thrillers to me than superhero movies, not that it's a bad thing. Batman is after all no more than an extremely rich guy who trained himself up to a high degree in many martial arts and has access to all sorts of gadgets. It's much more believable than say Superman, who's an alien who can fly, has super strength and laser vision.

Another part of the Batman character that you don't really see much is that he's supposed to be an incredibly good detective. You don't see much of it in the movies aside from some flashes in Begins but in the comics he's often compared to the likes of Sherlock Holmes. His skills are what his has taught himself and a high natural intelligence along with being a bit mental to be quite frank. Most other superheroes just have 'born with' powers that are over the top and unrealistic. Thats why I prefer Batman over other superheroes, even more 'grounded' stuff like Spiderman and elements of the X-Men have their grounded teenage/early adult struggles totally overshadowed by superpowers and over the top nonsense (not that the Batman comics don't indulge in this but the best stuff like Year One/Long Halloween keeps it grounded).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Nah brah although I have no one to go with so it may be well weird :sad:
    Well if you're paying...

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbud8rLejLM

Kinda true :holmes:

(Original post by davidmarsh01)
    Well if you're paying...
    It is £300, pay for yourself
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Love the comments:

Someone accused me of being racist. I refused, saying that racism is a borderline crime and crime is for black people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Love the comments:

Someone accused me of being racist. I refused, saying that racism is a borderline crime and crime is for black people.
    I know, I thought that was great!

You racist!

ReputationRep:
    Apparently someone in Falkirk won the £161M Euromillions. Why didn't I buy a ticket?! :emo:

ReputationRep:
    Scratch that, apparently they were from Largs and they're just having a press conference in Falkirk or something.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had that much money :moon:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    :yawn:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.