Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So tempted to neg you for that.

(Original post by paddy__power)
    So, DVD rips of the new X men film are finally available.

I shall now be off to watch it
    DVD rips :confused:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by cambo211)
    So tempted to neg you for that.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Really not a fan of piracy.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Oh okay, meh.

Oh you *******, how can you deprive the film industry of revenue that will help bring more films to the big screen for us... I'd rather buy the Blu-ray than download something illegally.

ReputationRep:
    But it might encourage him to buy the dvd in the long run? In the same way that music companies eventually realised that providing clips of music encouraged people to buy it. If people go on to buy the product after having tried it ... so what?

(Original post by Adorno)
    But it might encourage him to buy the dvd in the long run?
    What is the cinema for? it is meant to encourage you to buy the Blu-ray release when it comes out.

ReputationRep:
    But it might encourage him to buy the dvd in the long run? In the same way that music companies eventually realised that providing clips of music encouraged people to buy it. If people go on to buy the product after having tried it ... so what?
    If it actually resulted in people doing that then fine but i doubt the majority of people who download films like that proceed to buy the DVD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    What is the cinema for? it is meant to encourage you to buy the Blu-ray release when it comes out.
    I'd disagree with that as well though. The cinema doesn't just exist to encourage you to buy the film at it's DVD release. The cinema is all about the experience. Massive screen, massive sound :coma:

I'd disagree with that as well though. The cinema doesn't just exist to encourage you to buy the film at it's DVD release. The cinema is all about the experience. Massive screen, massive sound :coma:
    Yes but surely if you enjoyed the film you would be encouraged to purchase it when it is released on Blu-ray? I know that I purchase them... sometimes though I have to wait for them to come down in price though as $30-40 on release day is too much and that is before shipping (I have a US PS3 so I purchase US Blu-rays).

ReputationRep:
    Yes but surely if you enjoyed the film you would be encouraged to purchase it when it is released on Blu-ray? I know that I purchase them... sometimes though I have to wait for them to come down in price though as $30-40 on release day is too much and that is before shipping (I have a US PS3 so I purchase US Blu-rays).
    Oh yeah it certainly would but your post came across as that being the point of cinemas.

Oh yeah it certainly would but your post came across as that being the point of cinemas.
    Oh well I didn't mean for it to come across that way

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to buy a blu-ray release though. I may buy the dvd.

ReputationRep:
    If it actually resulted in people doing that then fine but i doubt the majority of people who download films like that proceed to buy the DVD.
    Well I don't download but nor do I go to the cinema either because it is too expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't download but nor do I go to the cinema either because it is too expensive.
    I only go to the cinema on a wednesday with someone else.

Works out at about £2.50 a ticket which isn't to be sniffed at.

ReputationRep:
    If the movie industry wants to reduce piracy, they should make it easier and less restrictive for users to purchase and enjoy movies. If I download a movie, I want to be able to watch it on all my computers, my tv and all my portable media players and I want to be able to burn it to disc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    If the movie industry wants to reduce piracy, they should make it easier and less restrictive for users to purchase and enjoy movies. If I download a movie, I want to be able to watch it on all my computers, my tv and all my portable media players and I want to be able to burn it to disc.
    And i would certainly agree with this.

ReputationRep:
    I only go to the cinema on a wednesday with someone else.

Works out at about £2.50 a ticket which isn't to be sniffed at.
    Nearest cinema to me is 10 miles away and I don't drive. This means a £6.50 bus ticket, entry to the cinema of £6.50 (at least), and so forth. It's just not cost effective.

I'm not going to buy a blu-ray release though. I may buy the dvd.
    Okay the DVD then, does it matter?

Well in a way it does as you aren't being future proof with the Blu-ray/DVD combos for a couple of pound more... the studios are taking you for a schmuck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.