Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Anyone read war and peace, just got my hands on a copy.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by jesusandtequila)
    I only ue the left index finger, right index finger and right middle to type, the thumbs just kind of hang there. How strange.
    I don't use my thumbs either.

(Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    I use all of my fingers and my thumb to type. I could touch-type on my old keyboard but when that broke I got a new one which had a curvy shape for the main part of the keyboard so I haven't got used to touch typing on it yet.

On another note, passed my first year with 77.5%. :woo:
    Pretty good

Well done

(Original post by Aj12)
    I've read Donald Duck's War and Peace

In other news Utah ****ed up my screenplay :cry: they allow single gay people to adopt thus ruining the base of my entire story

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Naturally! It's a great book though if you've a sense of the history of that period and also French it helps to understand the book much faster. Got through it in 14 days from memory.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Adorno)
    Naturally! It's a great book though if you've a sense of the history of that period and also French it helps to understand the book much faster. Got through it in 14 days from memory.
    Can't see myself reading it that quickly unless I really pushed myself lol. I have been meaning to read it for a few years but an old English teacher put me off it for while saying it was a very boring book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Can't see myself reading it that quickly unless I really pushed myself lol. I have been meaning to read it for a few years but an old English teacher put me off it for while saying it was a very boring book.
    It's not really boring if you're willing to stick with it. Much like Joyce it requires a certain level of general knowledge to get through but it's a novel which teaches you a great deal about Russian life in that period and the way in which the Russian aristocracy - who spoke in French and thought of themselves in French terms - dealt with the Revolution, Napoleon, and then the invasion of Russia by the French that lead to the burning of Moscow.

ReputationRep:
    I have to graduate with all the sports science students
    because they are in the same department as me

fake science
    the no doubt all got 1st even though they pretty much do nothing but play sport and drink :p:

ReputationRep:

It's a novel.
    In other words fiction? I have been meaning to read it myself as it does seem like it could be interesting but as far as I know (not very much in this regard) the book is fiction so may not be an accurate account of well anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    In other words fiction? I have been meaning to read it myself as it does seem like it could be interesting but as far as I know (not very much in this regard) the book is fiction so may not be an accurate account of well anything
    I'm not sure that's a particularly fair assessment. Tolstoy along with very many of the greatest writers undertook significant research when writing the novel to give it a realistic sense. Too much of modern pop literature is **** in that regard but what sets a great novel from a mediocre one is absolutely the level of its realism.

I'm not sure that's a particularly fair assessment. Tolstoy along with very many of the greatest writers undertook significant research when writing the novel to give it a realistic sense. Too much of modern pop literature is **** in that regard but what sets a great novel from a mediocre one is absolutely the level of its realism.
    No you are right it isn't, I have been looking it up and a lot of it is fiction but he had a lot of research and his experience in the Crimean war to help him with it... overall even if it is largely fiction it is most certainly something I will be reading once I have finished my 'Révolution, Consulat, Empire' book

ReputationRep:
    No you are right it isn't, I have been looking it up and a lot of it is fiction but he had a lot of research and his experience in the Crimean war to help him with it... overall even if it is largely fiction it is most certainly something I will be reading once I have finished my 'Révolution, Consulat, Empire' book
    Just because something is fiction doesn't mean you can't learn something from it though.

(Original post by davidmarsh01)
    Just because something is fiction doesn't mean you can't learn something from it though.
    I am well aware of that, but I won't know what is fiction and what is not from it so I could be learning something that won't help but it does look interesting

ReputationRep:
    I am well aware of that, but I won't know what is fiction and what is not from it so I could be learning something that won't help but it does look interesting
    By learning something from fiction I meant ideas and the way you think etc that can be applied to real life. I don't see how learning something from fiction is "something that won't help". Good works of fiction mirror elements of reality while revealing new thought patterns and ideas that can be thought about and have a very real application in real life.

ReputationRep:
    How are you certain of the history books you read then?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    History is far too easy to manipulate tbh. I don't think many people realize this.

ReputationRep:
    Pa iaith yw hwn te?

Spoiler:
    Show
    [What language is that then?]
    British, an old Celtic language

(Original post by davidmarsh01)
    By learning something from fiction I meant ideas and the way you think etc that can be applied to real life. I don't see how learning something from fiction is "something that won't help". Good works of fiction mirror elements of reality while revealing new thought patterns and ideas that can be thought about and have a very real application in real life.
    Okay
    I'm not but I read such a variety in a way it works out in the end as a balance but War and Peace... can anything compare?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXedixXx)
    British, an old Celtic language
    British has never been a language. It was Brythonic which is the ancestral language of only a certain number of people living on these islands. There were equally those who spoke Goidelic, Germanic languages - closest to Frisian -, the variety of languages from the Roman soldiers who served here, Norman French, and so on. Being reductive won't help matters.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not but I read such a variety in a way it works out in the end as a balance but War and Peace... can anything compare?
    Why does anything have to compare? If you're bothered by the individual bits of what happened during that period you could read Figes' Natasha's Dance, Zamoyski's 1812, a variety of works on the cultural influences of France on the aristocracies of continental Europe in the late-eighteenth and early nineteenth century, and so on. There's masses of corroborative evidence as to what Tolstoy was writing about but the discussions between the Rostovs and the other families in the novel are fictionalised accounts of what might have been said by someone of that ilk. Your cynicism is baffling.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.