Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    I thought you resigned?
    Changed my mind in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Labour would have to play its cards very very well to make proper gains though. I can only speak for the odd poll and what I see in the media, which given recent events is hardly a great indicator but I can't see Miliband commanding huge support across the country.
    Possibly, which is why I said it would be a coalition government again. This time, however, I think it would be a more progressive one. Possibly even involving the smaller parties such as Plaid, the SNP, and the Greens.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Adorno)
    In the immediate term, the person who takes over would be Nick Clegg since he is the deputy prime minister. He would probably have to call an election since he cannot be said to command the confidence of the House in that circumstance. The Tories would have to choose a new leader and it's possible we end up with a new coalition government but a Lib-Lab one. If Cameron is found to be complicit by proxy in his employment of Coulson then the Tories would be seriously compromised.
    I can't see Clegg becoming interim PM. Most likely, Cameron would advise the Queen to appoint William Hague as PM.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Changed my mind in the end.
    Ah, fair enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCrackInTime)
    I can't see Clegg becoming interim PM. Most likely, Cameron would advise the Queen to appoint William Hague as PM.
    He could do that, though that would counter the purpose of having the office of Deputy PM. Moreover, I'm not sure that Hague would wish to be the one standing going "eh yeah, we're having an election cos we brought lying, cheating scumbags in t'Dahnin' Street".

ReputationRep:
    In the immediate term, the person who takes over would be Nick Clegg since he is the deputy prime minister. He would probably have to call an election since he cannot be said to command the confidence of the House in that circumstance. The Tories would have to choose a new leader and it's possible we end up with a new coalition government but a Lib-Lab one. If Cameron is found to be complicit by proxy in his employment of Coulson then the Tories would be seriously compromised.
    But they wouldn't command a majority. What's your answer to that?

ReputationRep:
    If Cameron left, that doesn't mean an election would have to be called. The Lib Dems will gain nothing from forcing an election, and the Tories will lose out also. If such a situation were to occur, the Tories would get a new leader who would then take over as PM. It may even be the case that the Tories get a new leader before Cameron resigns (he gives them time to find one). But it seems unlikely no? I can't picture Cameron resigning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    He did say they'd have to call another election.

Of which he predicts the result would be lib-lab.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Going to argue about hypothetical election results?

If Cameron left, that doesn't mean an election would have to be called. The Lib Dems will gain nothing from forcing an election, and the Tories will lose out also. If such a situation were to occur, the Tories would get a new leader who would then take over as PM. It may even be the case that the Tories get a new leader before Cameron resigns (he gives them time to find one). But it seems unlikely no? I can't picture Cameron resigning.
    I can tbh. It would take a few more links to be established though. Who do you think should/would take over?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    About to make a 110 pound asda order to last me the best part of 12 weeks. Great.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    He could do that, though that would counter the purpose of having the office of Deputy PM.
    It does yeah, but the office is essentially pointless anyway.

Moreover, I'm not sure that Hague would wish to be the one standing going "eh yeah, we're having an election cos we brought lying, cheating scumbags in t'Dahnin' Street".
    Perhaps not, but I reckon he's their best chance if there's a snap election.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...iament-summons

ohn Whittingdale, the Tory chair of the committee, was advised by the parliamentary authorities that he could refer the matter to the Commons if the Murdochs failed to accept the summons to appear on Tuesday. MPs could then vote to summon them to the bar of the Commons – the strip on the floor of the house marking the end of the standing section for MPs – where they could have been informed of their punishment. This could have included admonishment, a fine or imprisonment, possibly in a cell under Big Ben.

Parliament got medieval on Murdoch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Going to argue about hypothetical election results?
    Why not

I can tbh. It would take a few more links to be established though. Who do you think should/would take over?
    Not sure - if I am honest, I don't particularly think any of the cabinet would be any good...

(Original post by cambo211)
    He did say they'd have to call another election.

Of which he predicts the result would be lib-lab.
    But why would they have to call an election?

ReputationRep:
    You guys really think this would undermine Cameron so much he would have to resign? I don't see it at this stage.

As for potential leader, I would like William Hague, except him being a previous leader probably undermines him. There's nobody else I think would be suitable.

I'm sure we can all agree, a collapse of the government would be terrible in general, even for Labour who could potentially benefit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    About to make a 110 pound asda order to last me the best part of 12 weeks. Great.
    Beans, beans, the musical fruit..........

ReputationRep:
    If we manage to get 80 posts overnight then this could possibly be my last post in this Bar. Goodnight everyone.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Beans, beans, the musical fruit..........
    The order includes 12 cans of beans - the most it will let me order for some reason.

(Original post by davidmarsh01)
    If we manage to get 80 posts overnight then this could possibly be my last post in this Bar. Goodnight everyone.
    I could. I think I will let Aaran do the next thread

ReputationRep:
    Victorious.

tehFrance's post count in this thread rose rapidly.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Teaddict 1,484
    paddy__power 1,373
    tehFrance 911
    Adorno 715
    Ham and Cheese 577
    Thunder and Jazz 537
    TheCrackInTime 387
    davidmarsh01 353
    cambo211 339
    thunder_chunky 317
    Nothos 311
    Wednesday Bass 216
    Aj12 191
    DayneD89 169
    Norfolkadam 158
    Jace Falco 150
    Student2806 146
    sandys1000 136
    Metrobeans 135
    robinson999 115
    jesusandtequila 96
    Wilzman 83
    Stricof 83
    paperclip 80
    xXedixXx 75
    Smack 71
    toronto353 57
    spidergareth 53
    SciFiBoy 50
    ajp100688 48
    arabcnesbit 46
    D.R.E 43
    OrangeStu 36
    elli_emc 32
    bun 26
    lovely_me 23
    Afcwimbledon2 20
    Don John 18
    badger-man 18
    UniOfLife 16
    Magnum Opus 15
    Musty_Elbow 14
    rockrunride 13
    PendulumBoB 12
    Bagration 11
    Anony mouse 11
    LawBore 10
    AreYouDizzeeBlud_x 10
    tbdavies 10
    big-bang-theory 9
    Nynyflower 8
    Geraldine 8
    wasteman 8
    Melancholy 7
    fleur de lis 7
    Democracy 6
    magnum.opus 6
    mczakk 5
    Cardozo 4
    Matthew_Lowson 4
    Uncon 4
    Indievertigo 4
    Callum_Leslie 3
    AlexInWonderland 3
    BookWormShanti 3
    adamrules247 3
    Eru Iluvatar 3
    .Gosh 2
    Sofa Kineezy 2
    TheOFactor 2
    Swimmer 2
    L i b 2
    dogtanian 1
    im so academic 1
    madferit-lfc 1
    U.S Lecce 1
    lilzoldier 1
    Shadowball 1
    Fission_Mailed 1
    Willum Infanta 1
    RK 1
    Life_peer 1
    AccioJellyBean 1
    Planar 1
    jacarradicefrench 1
    Spaz Man 1
    Kerry92 1

tehFrance's post count in this thread rose rapidly.
    Crap

Poker is a PITA, Blackjack is better

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody ever had a cyber drink in these bars before? Seems like a fundamentally missing aspect

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.