Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    What's wrong with banning door-to-door sales? Just as bad as cold calling. If someone wanted double-glazing then they would go out and buy double glazing. People should not be bombarded in their own home with people trying to sell you stuff. I'd at least create a 'Do not call' list as they have done in the USA; no sales person/s can contact addresses/numbers who have added themselves onto the list without their prior consent.
    I think it's very condescending to think that people are so stupid they need to have things like this banned that they couldn't just put a sticker on their door saying "No Cold Callers" or simply close the door on people they don't want to talk to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anony mouse)
    I was surprised when I heard Noam Chomsky say that Barack Obama is worse than George Bush.
    Hmmm. Really though? He hasn't set up an illegal network of torture prisons yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    I think it's very condescending to think that people are so stupid they need to have things like this banned that they couldn't just put a sticker on their door saying "No Cold Callers" or simply close the door on people they don't want to talk to.
    Why? We can simply ban them all together; saves the time and effort. Plus there is no assurance that people won't call on the door anyway. As I have said, it would be very easy for a salesperson to manipulate an elderly resident at the door and them signing up to all sorts of things. We either need a ban or a 'do not call' list like the in the USA.

(Original post by spidergareth)
    Hmmm. Really though? He hasn't set up an illegal network of torture prisons yet.
    We should make a list of pros and cons.

Oh, wait. Basically the whole of politics is one long list of pros and cons.

ReputationRep:
    Why? We can simply ban them all together; saves the time and effort. Plus there is no assurance that people won't call on the door anyway. As I have said, it would be very easy for a salesperson to manipulate an elderly resident at the door and them signing up to all sorts of things. We either need a ban or a 'do not call' list like the in the USA.
    Does this include the various religious nutters banging on my door every weekend "selling" their religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ni...t-gallup-poll/

The latest Gallup Daily tracking three-day average represents a new low for Barack Obama, with just 41 percent of Americans approving his job performance as president. This matches his previous lows in August 2010 and October 2010, just before the mid-term elections, and it is significantly down from his 2011 average of 48 percent. The president’s disapproval rating now stands at 50 percent, the highest point since August last year. In contrast, George W. Bush’s approval rating at this stage of his presidency stood at 70 percent (April 2003), and the average for US presidents in the ninth quarter stands at 57 percent.

Good job Obama.
    The fact that opinion polls mean very little aside, the two presidency's have been markedly different in context. They aren't really comparable.
    I'll take neither.
    As would I, in normal circumstances.
    (Original post by Adorno)
    Difference is that Bush was evil and useless. Obama, as I said at the beginning of his "rise", is just plain useless.
    He's not entirely useless, but watching him fall from the pedestal of short term hopes and dreams he built himself is interesting.

It's my belief that it's not the government's job to 'ban' things at all so if it's something as relatively trivial as door-to-door sales I would strongly disagree that the only (or the best) answer if to pass reams of legislation to ban the practice. On top of that you've then go to enforce the ban, thousands of people would lose their jobs and the courts and police would be given a huge extra burden.

Where it is a problem local councils have implemented "no-call" zones around sheltered housing or vulnerable areas. If you call your local council they'll send you a "no cold calling" sticker which is free. It's not as if you can't protect yourself against a cold caller like they were running up to you and punching you in the street and you had no defence against them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spidergareth)
    His approval ratings are not yet disastrous. I'd be very surprised if he loses re-election.
    I think it depends on who ends up running against him. If the republicans choose someone credible and the economy doesn't pick up, I think President Obama has a real battle on his hands.

ReputationRep:
    It's my belief that it's not the government's job to 'ban' things at all so if it's something as relatively trivial as door-to-door sales I would strongly disagree that the only (or the best) answer if to pass reams of legislation to ban the practice. On top of that you've then go to enforce the ban, thousands of people would lose their jobs and the courts and police would be given a huge extra burden.

Where it is a problem local councils have implemented "no-call" zones around sheltered housing or vulnerable areas. If you call your local council they'll send you a "no cold calling" sticker which is free. It's not as if you can't protect yourself against a cold caller like they were running up to you and punching you in the street and you had no defence against them.
    Well part of being a Libertarian is basically the 'do nothing' approach to almost anything. What are your views on crime and justice by the way?

You wouldn't need to enforce the ban as such; if there was a cold-caller then you would call the Police. Although police presence on residential roads on the beat is a good idea.

Well part of being a Libertarian is basically the 'do nothing' approach to almost anything. What are your views on crime and justice by the way?

You wouldn't need to enforce the ban as such; if there was a cold-caller then you would call the Police. Although police presence on residential roads on the beat is a good idea.
    The police coming out and arresting the cold caller is enforcing the ban. Don't you think the police and courts have better things to do?

And can you narrow the question? It's very broad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    I think it depends on who ends up running against him. If the republicans choose someone credible and the economy doesn't pick up, I think President has a real battle on his hands.
    Thankfully it won't be Sarah Palin. If the Republicans choose someone charasmatic but who is friendly with the Tea party they might do very well given the large grassroots nature of the tea party.

But I am not hugely familiar with American politics so I could be talking crap

ReputationRep:
    The police coming out and arresting the cold caller is enforcing the ban. Don't you think the police and courts have better things to do?
    Yes and I would be happy for the police to enforce the ban. However, I'd be inclined to have more neighbourhood officers who are ordered to simply enforce one ward.

And can you narrow the question? It's very broad.
    What's your opinion on crime prevention? (CCTV, police on the beat etc)
    What's your opinion on convicted criminals? (more a case of punishment or rehabilitation).

ReputationRep:
    Post 1000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melancholy)
    Post 1000.
    Well **** you Metro :p:

ReputationRep:
    T&J wins!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Anony mouse wins

ReputationRep:
    Paddy power wins!

:heart:

ReputationRep:

So anyway, how is everyone?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)

So anyway, how is everyone?
    I'm fine, thanks for asking and yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else watch Police Academy on BB3? One thing I would point out is that the public show no respect for the police and that's something we cannot stand for; even the Zambian officer made this comment

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.