Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Teaddict)
    That wasn't the bit I was saying interesting about but okay...
    Telegraph articles irritate me. I don't have the effort to go through and deconstruct it, it's just that comment particularly got on my goat.

ReputationRep:
    OMG I found common sense on TSR:

(Original post by arabcnesbit)
    Education is a privilege, not a right. If you can't behave yourself like a civilised human being then why should you gain the privilege of education?

We worry far too much in this society about helping the"poor little darlings" who can't/won't behave themselves. Lets concentrate on helping the people that actually want to help themselves instead.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that's the tory view so of course that's going to be what you consider "common sense"...

ReputationRep:
    It has a grounding in common sense. It's just not been applied in a particularly nice way.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...ersity-lottery

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Bless her. One day she'll rule the world. Or a McDonalds branch.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, a stupid, half thought through opinion based on, well, nothing.

Why not actually read into the psychology of education before saying you and a randomer are the only people with common sense?

ReputationRep:
    When I was 15, I went to what I can only describe as a 'Black People day' at Oxford, where they attempted to change our perceptions of the University, telling us that it isn't just a place for upper-middle class white folk and that they do accept people from state schools and ethnic minorities as well. The event worked on me and whilst I don't know how widespread the scheme is now, I do think it is something that is needed.

That article seemed to be a whole load of nothing, mind. It was just rambling.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Bless her. One day she'll rule the world. Or a McDonalds branch.
    I stopped reading when she said this "my colourful vocabulary" having not used anything I would consider such, and nearly stopped here "I am pretty good though, I can paint pictures with words".

Do not want.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, but it isn't particularly appreciated on TSR. I'm currently having a discussion with Oswy on capitalism and marxism as an example. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1604622
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Indeed, but it isn't particularly appreciated on TSR. I'm currently having a discussion with Oswy on capitalism and marxism as an example. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1604622
    Can you link me to where I can find the context of your comment so I can decide if I find it abhorrent or not please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Can you link me to where I can find the context of your comment so I can decide if I find it abhorrent or not please.
    I don't think it's just one comment people are taking offence to. Unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    When I was 15, I went to what I can only describe as a 'Black People day' at Oxford, where they attempted to change our perceptions of the University, telling us that it isn't just a place for upper-middle class white folk and that they do accept people from state schools and ethnic minorities as well. The event worked on me and whilst I don't know how widespread the scheme is now, I do think it is something that is needed.

That article seemed to be a whole load of nothing, mind. It was just rambling.
    I often worked those events. It was quite hard to break down perceptions because the very things that put people off do exist. I hope they were of some use to people but couldn't be sure.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I don't think it's just one comment people are taking offence to. Unfortunately.
    I don't take offence to it, but I read it and find it slightly foolish (not a personal attack) but would need to know the context. Are you saying that anyone who misbehaves in school should just be thrown out and their needs disregarded or at least made completely subordinate to everyone elses? Just to clarify.

ReputationRep:
    Pink
    How's the hunt for work going? Any more interview for McDonalds?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I thought I should make my 20k post here :moon:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    How's the hunt for work going? Any more interview for McDonalds?
    Applied for one job as a caretaker, for which I received some positive comments from the guy and will probably get an interview as I also have some relevant experience. One job as a cleaner and I had a someone I know put in a good word for me so I'm hopeful there as well.

If all else fails I will just spend a night mugging people for their iphones and make enough for a few months rent

ReputationRep:
    I don't take offence to it, but I read it and find it slightly foolish (not a personal attack) but would need to know the context. Are you saying that anyone who misbehaves in school should just be thrown out and their needs disregarded or at least made completely subordinate to everyone elses? Just to clarify.
    Sorry I don't think that last link worked. Here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1604622

On the above discussion I went on to say pupils should be split into classes according to their needs but if you are constantly misbehaving it's clearly a waste of everyone's time and money to educate you.

If someone doesn't want to learn, what's the point in trying to teach them?

ReputationRep:
    I thought I should make my 20k post here :moon:
    You are way ahead in the table on this thread :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Applied for one job as a caretaker, for which I received some positive comments from the guy and will probably get an interview as I also have some relevant experience. One job as a cleaner and I had a someone I know put in a good word for me so I'm hopeful there as well.

If all else fails I will just spend a night mugging people for their iphones and make enough for a few months rent
    Good luck with both lines of work

You should come work with me at my place it was dead so I ate junk all day and drunk slush puppies :cool:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.