Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)
    Please rate some more members before rating this user again.

Sucks.

I often get into this situation with lefties, dammit!

Your system is worse!

Source? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marketisatio...3153596&sr=1-1

It outlines some rather shocking findings, for example, university students often behave as if they are purchasing a degree; that is, they expect a 2.1 despite not putting in the effort, as if they are buying the qualification.
    Thanks for the link. Looks interesting, but a bit expensive for me just now.

ReputationRep:
    Ee. I just won 6 months Spotify Premium from a bottle of Lucozade. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    Ee. I just won 6 months Spotify Premium from a bottle of Lucozade. :woo:
    I envy you. Seriously considering abandoning Spotify because of the changes.

Then again might just pay the £10 a month and be done with it. Still pretty cheap compared to buying music tbh. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabcnesbit)
    I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm merely pointing out that classroom size and school size isn't the only factor involved in a good education.
    Oh well I suppose if we spent £10,000 a year per pupil then things would be better too. But y'know, we don't all attend the best public schools do we.

Harsh. Do you not think if the state has sole control of education for so long that it doesn't have an effect on the students' viewpoint?
    I think we're perfectly capable of thinking for ourselves irrespective of our supposed cultural brainwashing. Otherwise, frankly, we'd all be neo-liberal Tory ****ers who want to privatise everything in sight and then seek to monopolise those privatised companies in search of ever greater accumulations of capital. But we don't because that's not what most people are like. That's mild compared to some of the things I've said about right-wing Libertarians. None of them are nice and they get much, much worse.

Why are there not more like your school though?
    Because my school is in Wales.

Why not?
    Because it's a horrific idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilzman)

Then again might just pay the £10 a month and be done with it. Still pretty cheap compared to buying music tbh. :holmes:
    Pretty expensive compared to... acquiring music in other ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Pretty expensive compared to... acquiring music in other ways.
    That's why the changes are pretty retarded. It'll just drive people to piracy.

Either get money for the music industry via listens on Spotify, or get no money from people downloading the music for free?

Idiots chose the latter.

ReputationRep:

That's why I've been buying Lucozade for the past week. :p:
    I love Spotify, it makes me feel better for years of pirating music (100+GB :ninja:). I'm not sure about the new changes to the free Spotify. I'd still be happy with halving the the monthly usage if they didn't limit it to 5 plays of the same track (dunno why, really annoying as I listen to tracks several times to learn them on guitar).

I would pay the tenner a month if I could get it on my phone but they don't do a Blackberry app for spotify yet so when this winning's up I may just go for the £5/month version.

ReputationRep:
    That's why the changes are pretty retarded. It'll just drive people to piracy.

Either get money for the music industry via listens on Spotify, or get no money from people downloading the music for free?

Idiots chose the latter.
    Oh well, we might see a new competitor to Spotify now given that they have spot themselves in the foot.

ReputationRep:
    "All men desire only satisfaction."
    "Satisfaction of what?"
    "Satisfaction of their desires."
    "Their desires for what?"
    "Their desires for satisfaction."
    "Satisfaction of what?"
    "Their desires."
    "For what?"
    "For satisfaction."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    Oh well I suppose if we spent £10,000 a year per pupil then things would be better too. But y'know, we don't all attend the best public schools do we.
    Typical lefty answer. Let's increase taxation, throw more bad money after bad and hope it improves. But it doesn't, does it?

I think we're perfectly capable of thinking for ourselves irrespective of our supposed cultural brainwashing. Otherwise, frankly, we'd all be neo-liberal Tory ****ers who want to privatise everything in sight and then seek to monopolise those privatised companies in search of ever greater accumulations of capital. But we don't because that's not what most people are like. That's mild compared to some of the things I've said about right-wing Libertarians. None of them are nice and they get much, much worse.
    eh, no. The reason why we are not "neo-liberal Tory ****ers" is that the state has conditioned us to think "The state knows best", but clearly it doesn't.

Because my school is in Wales.
    Mine was in Scotland. Education hasn't been a devolved issue in Wales for very long has it? Where as Scotland has always had its own system.

Because it's a horrific idea.
    Why do you think it will only benefit "the rich in the leafy suburbs"? If a pupil from a working class background is bright and passes an entrance exam for a school, why would where they live prevent them from going? So giving parents choice is bad but confining them to specific schools is good?

ReputationRep:
    Opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Opinions?
    Don't have kids

ReputationRep:
    Opinions?
    Any person has the right to have children if they want them. But he is rightly weighing up the consequences for the child if s/he has the same disorder.

My conclusion, it's his and his girlfriend's decision, and I can't possibly recommend either way because I'm thankfully not in that situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabcnesbit)
    Typical lefty answer. Let's increase taxation, throw more bad money after bad and hope it improves. But it doesn't, does it?
    You failed to read that response properly. It was a reflexion on the lack of similarity between the money spent per pupil in a private school compared to that in a state comprehensive.

eh, no. The reason why we are not "neo-liberal Tory ****ers" is that the state has conditioned us to think "The state knows best", but clearly it doesn't.
    If you say so.

Mine was in Scotland. Education hasn't been a devolved issue in Wales for very long has it? Where as Scotland has always had its own system.
    The Secretary of State for Wales was responsible for education. The first appointed SoS for Wales was in 1964 under the Wilson government. Prior to that education had been the responsibility of the Welsh Joint Education Committee. Whilst strictly tied to English methods, Welsh education was generally distinct given that it had to cope with different religious settlement compared to England. Certainly Welsh schools have been distinctive since the formation of compulsory state education in England and Wales in the 1890s.

Why do you think it will only benefit "the rich in the leafy suburbs"? If a pupil from a working class background is bright and passes an entrance exam for a school, why would where they live prevent them from going? So giving parents choice is bad but confining them to specific schools is good?
    And this choice will appear suddenly will it?

ReputationRep:
    Opinions?
    Having a child is his choice and responsibility, surely there's no argument?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Incorrect, based on and and all experience I have.
    But they haven't had the opportunity, so how would you know?

How does your system in any way stop that?
    By not imposing ridiculous rules which are easily abused.

I'm not saying they wouldn't exist I'm saying how do you ensure enough exists? How do you ensure there are always enough places and that noone is left behind? I will try and find one of the debates I had on this at some point because I don't fancy having it again but I think it is buried in one of the threads somewhere :p:
    If enough people wanted a school with a specific capability, then why wouldn't someone create such a school? You can't "ensure" anything.

Fair enough, I'll have a search and take a look.

ReputationRep:
    Opinions?
    As Wilzman and Adorno have said, it's much his and his girlfriends choice. They know the consequences of having a child and I couldn't possibly stop them from having a child if they wanted. However, if I was in their position I would probably consider adoption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    As Wilzman and Adorno have said, it's much his and his girlfriends choice. They know the consequences of having a child and I couldn't possibly stop them from having a child if they wanted. However, if I was in their position I would probably consider adoption.
    Or genetic screening even?

ReputationRep:
    Or genetic screening even?
    Yes, I hadn't thought of that

ReputationRep:
    Having a child is his choice and responsibility, surely there's no argument?
    Choice, sure. Responsibility, debatable. On the issue of his particular situation, I'm unsure what his responsibility is, hence I fish for opinions. It's his responsibility to keep the gene pool going and contribute to society, I guess some would say. But there's a decent argument that his genes should be kept out of the system, as it were. There's arguments against that as well; genetic engineering doesn't really work so well when we try it on other species, so doing it with humans is not a very good idea. Incidentally, this is the kind of example I always go back to when people come at me using 'logic' to back everything up; logic leads humans to a very bad place if not tempered with heart. Obviously, my heart leads me to agreeing with you.

A separate issue that is related is that actually we're heading very quickly towards over population. So, whether or not people have a responsibility to reproduce is up for question.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.