Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    I'm local - which place is this?
    Free Flowers

Anyone know any really good series?

I'm bored of films and have got bored of prison break on the second series near the end and have done startrek.

I could try stargate as Dipak recommends it.
    Yes Minister
    Yes Prime Minister

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)
    Explains the crankiness :p:
    The crankiness derives much more from the fact that I've reached the end of my PhD to discover that not only is it a worthless piece of rubbish that won't get you a job, I may have to do even more study if I'm even to get a job in areas that I am best suited to. It's completely and utterly stupid. Not to mention 3 years of having to look after my sister's child because she's too feckless to do it and so on. Yeah, i'd quite happily wind back the clock and do something completely different now.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Adorno)
    The crankiness derives much more from the fact that I've reached the end of my PhD to discover that not only is it a worthless piece of rubbish that won't get you a job, I may have to do even more study if I'm even to get a job in areas that I am best suited to. It's completely and utterly stupid. Not to mention 3 years of having to look after my sister's child because she's too feckless to do it and so on. Yeah, i'd quite happily wind back the clock and do something completely different now.
    Surely you can get onto a grad scheme at a big four PS firm or something if you were so inclined?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Free Flowers

Yes Minister
    Yes Prime Minister
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    What was the focus of your PhD?

Also - What would you do instead if you could turn back the clock?

ReputationRep:
    Surely you can get onto a grad scheme at a big four PS firm or something if you were so inclined?
    I'm not a maths-orientated person so I doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stricof)
    What was the focus of your PhD?

Also - What would you do instead if you could turn back the clock?
    The Labour movement! If I turned back the clock I would choose a different college at Oxford, avoid a mental breakdown, not do a master's or a PhD because neither have any value, and generally avoid being taken for granted.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm not a maths-orientated person so I doubt it.
    You don't really have to be, you should look into it. Or the schemes at numerous other places - Aldi and Lidl for example have excellent schemes but are competitive. You would walk into some sort of business job irrespective, it just may not be the one you want which must be much the annoying thing after so much time.

What study would come next? Another PHD/Masters?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Ah so you didn't like being an Oriel Historian.

;]

ReputationRep:
    You don't really have to be, you should look into it. Or the schemes at numerous other places - Aldi and Lidl for example have excellent schemes but are competitive. You would walk into some sort of business job irrespective, it just may not be the one you want which must be much the annoying thing after so much time.

What study would come next? Another PHD/Masters?
    I really don't want to go into the business world to be honest. Basically I need a "recognised teaching qualification" to do anything related to outreach in the heritage sector so that means a PGCE. To work in museums you need a museums master's. And so on.

ReputationRep:
    Blimey, you don't sound like a happy bunny. I do wish you all the best.

No offence to your sister, but it's ridiculous that people still have babies without thinking about the decision.

Regarding the PhD, i know it was hard work, but at least you were studying something you loved no? It may not lead directly into work but i'm sure you can do something with it, PhD careers are beyond me though, i still don't know what i want to do.

However, at least you get to make everyone call you Doctor :p:

ReputationRep:
    The Labour movement! If I turned back the clock I would choose a different college at Oxford, avoid a mental breakdown, not do a master's or a PhD because neither have any value, and generally avoid being taken for granted.
    But you'd still do History...? Which college would you have picked? (Wadham? :wink2:).

Is there a possibility of post-doc research and lecturing? :holmes:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I really don't want to go into the business world to be honest. Basically I need a "recognised teaching qualification" to do anything related to outreach in the heritage sector so that means a PGCE. To work in museums you need a museums master's. And so on.
    Fair enough. A PGCE isn't so bad - would you not qualify for teach first as well?

But you'd still do History...? Which college? (Wadham? :wink2:).

That's where I was going to apply (one of a couple) at Oxford before I changed my mind.

ReputationRep:
    But you'd still do History...? Which college? (Wadham? :wink2:).
    Nah, probably Balliol. Well not really probably, definitely. I'd have done History & French probably. That language skill is more valuable than just the history.

Are you paying attention to the HE sector? Three universities in Wales have announced that the history departments are closing or being seriously downsized and in England the arts and humanities are being scrapped, or soon will be, in order to make way for "profit-orientated" courses that attract loads of outside investment. HE has been a right mess for years but people have been too obsessed with Tuition Fees and Assessment exercises to notice.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Nah, probably Balliol. Well not really probably, definitely. I'd have done History & French probably. That language skill is more valuable than just the history.

Are you paying attention to the HE sector? Three universities in Wales have announced that the history departments are closing or being seriously downsized and in England the arts and humanities are being scrapped, or soon will be, in order to make way for "profit-orientated" courses that attract loads of outside investment. HE has been a right mess for years but people have been too obsessed with Tuition Fees and Assessment exercises to notice.
    Another country?

ReputationRep:
    Blimey, you don't sound like a happy bunny. I do wish you all the best.

No offence to your sister, but it's ridiculous that people still have babies without thinking about the decision.

Regarding the PhD, i know it was hard work, but at least you were studying something you loved no? It may not lead directly into work but i'm sure you can do something with it, PhD careers are beyond me though, i still don't know what i want to do.

However, at least you get to make everyone call you Doctor :p:
    Meh, family for me has never been the best of things. The thing with studying history to PhD level is that you get hemmed in to certain skillsets which most employers want but are not the be-all. Indeed, in many ways having those letters after your name is a disincentive because employers see you as someone who can't take orders or will be constantly looking for an exit for better wages. Why they think someone who has lived, at most, on about £12,000 a year would be at all greedy is beyond me but that is the mindset that prevails these days. I know people who have got a PhD in history and are now doing Graduate Entry medicine because that is more valuable than the 7 or 8 years of study that they've put in to get to the level of being a Doctor in history.

ReputationRep:
    Another country?
    IIRC he's been saying he's fleeing to Canada after his PhD for a LONG time...

ReputationRep:
    IIRC he's been saying he's fleeing to Canada after his PhD for a LONG time...
    That's probably not going to happen now either. The project didn't get the funding.

ReputationRep:
    That's where I was going to apply (one of a couple) at Oxford before I changed my mind.
    But you didn't. :hand:
    I am aware of this. And when I went with my friend to the QMUL Open day, they said exactly what you have posted. But QMUL also said they successfully defended the budget to their dept and were looking into bringing in more people within the area of British (and the sub-regions) History, though he didn't specify any further. Additionally, the professor said that they were opposing changes happening in other departments of the University to become more profit orientated as you said - Where the role of researching and lecturing would be separated. They affirm that the combination of the two is important, at least to Undergraduate level teaching. Agree?

I suppose there's always the possibility of teaching abroad. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Meh, family for me has never been the best of things. The thing with studying history to PhD level is that you get hemmed in to certain skillsets which most employers want but are not the be-all. Indeed, in many ways having those letters after your name is a disincentive because employers see you as someone who can't take orders or will be constantly looking for an exit for better wages. Why they think someone who has lived, at most, on about £12,000 a year would be at all greedy is beyond me but that is the mindset that prevails these days. I know people who have got a PhD in history and are now doing Graduate Entry medicine because that is more valuable than the 7 or 8 years of study that they've put in to get to the level of being a Doctor in history.
    You and me both. Whilst i don't have it quite as bad as you, my family life certainly does suck and i know how that can get to you.

I never did think of it like that. Puts things into perspective...

That's terrible, the world needs historians...it's a shame society has taken history for granted...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.