Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)
    You and me both. Whilst i don't have it quite as bad as you, my family life certainly does suck and i know how that can get to you.

I never did think of it like that. Puts things into perspective...

That's terrible, the world needs historians...it's a shame society has taken history for granted...
    Meh, I have a roof, I have an income (for now), and I have things to do so it could be far, far, far worse. It's just frustrating that economists rule the world and the only thing they care about is profit and frankly history doesn't make profit, it informs people so they don't want that. It's too much like fat on a body-beautiful.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by paperclip)
    IIRC he's been saying he's fleeing to Canada after his PhD for a LONG time...
    I hope it's so he can get the girl :love:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Stricof)
    But you didn't. :hand:
    I am aware of this. And when I went with my friend to the QMUL Open day, they said exactly what you have posted. But QMUL also said they successfully defended the budget to their dept and were looking into bringing in more people within the area of British (and the sub-regions) History, though he didn't specify any further. Additionally, the professor said that they were opposing changes happening in other departments of the University to become more profit orientated as you said - Where the role of researching and lecturing would be separated. They affirm that the combination of the two is important, at least to Undergraduate level teaching. Agree?

I suppose there's always the possibility of teaching abroad. :sigh:
    I know, I remember it looking really nice though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    Meh, I have a roof, I have an income (for now), and I have things to do so it could be far, far, far worse. It's just frustrating that economists rule the world and the only thing they care about is profit and frankly history doesn't make profit, it informs people so they don't want that. It's too much like fat on a body-beautiful.
    I thought you'd want to go into politics? Maybe an advisor or researcher or something?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Go and show people around Big pit :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Additionally, the professor said that they were opposing changes happening in other departments of the University to become more profit orientated as you said - Where [b]the role of researching and lecturing would be separated[b]. They affirm that the combination of the two is important, at least to Undergraduate level teaching. Agree?

I suppose there's always the possibility of teaching abroad. :sigh:
    I think this is looking inevitable in a lot of universities. Does anyone know how much of a university's income is derived from research and how much from fees now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabcnesbit)
    I think this is looking inevitable in a lot of universities. Does anyone know how much of a university's income is derived from research and how much from fees now?
    Most of a university's income derives from research funding and external investment from philanthropy. Teaching - which is partly covered by fees and partly by the government - is largely self-sufficient and doesn't really make the place money. This is about to change, in England, because the government has withdrawn state funding for the teaching of arts and humanities, most social sciences, and about 80% of science funding (outside STEM subjects). Hence the scramble for £9,000 fees to compensate. As it stands now, in 2012 a history student will be paying about £3,000 over the cost of the teaching of their degree to make up for the shortfall in the teaching of science.

(Original post by arabcnesbit)
    I thought you'd want to go into politics? Maybe an advisor or researcher or something?
    Would that that had any effect. Politicians don't want to listen to ideas, they want to know how to keep things the same.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Looks like I should drop out fast track through Maths/F Maths and apply for a maths degree then :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Looks like I should drop out fast track through Maths/F Maths and apply for a maths degree then :awesome:
    Aye. If it went tits-up. I did a CertHE Mathematics over 18 months (12 of those months through my Gap) and I sometimes wonder to myself whether I should have taken it to degree level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    Most of a university's income derives from research funding and external investment from philanthropy. Teaching - which is partly covered by fees and partly by the government - is largely self-sufficient and doesn't really make the place money. This is about to change, in England, because the government has withdrawn state funding for the teaching of arts and humanities, most social sciences, and about 80% of science funding (outside STEM subjects). Hence the scramble for £9,000 fees to compensate. As it stands now, in 2012 a history student will be paying about £3,000 over the cost of the teaching of their degree to make up for the shortfall in the teaching of science.
    Do you think this will have an effect on a university's priorities from research to teaching? Do you think students should pay fee's according to the actual cost of tuition rather than a blanket fee for each university?

Would that that had any effect. Politicians don't want to listen to ideas, they want to know how to keep things the same.
    You're a bit too young to be so pessimistic and cynical surely. Why discuss ideas with people here if you don't think it matters or will influence anyone?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Aye. If it went tits-up. I did a CertHE Mathematics over 18 months (12 of those months through my Gap) and I sometimes wonder to myself whether I should have taken it to degree level. I probably still can, tbh.
    Throughout most of my life I got full marks in pretty much anything maths but then in year 8 or so I got bored and didn't really do any again until A level and then I dropped it after a month because the teacher pissed me off. I still have the books somewhere and can teach myself whenever I want I suppose but it would be a rather strange U-turn now - maybe something to do with the OU one day if they do it. A level looked relatively easy but I have no idea about F maths tbf. I've not done it in so long I could be awful now as well.

Such is life.

Oh cool. Yea - you've basically done the first year so it is clear you're good enough in general.

ReputationRep:
    :lol: I had forgotten how much I enjoy/enjoyed the show "Banzai!"
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    :lol: I had forgotten how much I enjoy/enjoyed the show "Banzai!"
    I remember that.

I remember being a child and shouting it with my mates but not really knowing why .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Anyone know any really good series?

I'm bored of films and have got bored of prison break on the second series near the end and have done startrek.

I could try stargate as Dipak recommends it.
    I'd recommend Fringe. I'm hooked on it at the moment.
    Also try Justified. I only started watching it recently but it's fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    More on the maggie Thatcher movie:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...Iron-Lady.html

(Original post by Student2806)
    If you liked Deadwood then this is perfect I have the first season on Blu-ray... which is a bit sad tbf :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Super Ellen Page

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2606283520/nm0680983
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Student2806)
    I'd recommend Fringe. I'm hooked on it at the moment.
    Added both to my list thanks

ReputationRep:
    Some people really annoy me.

On another forum, I am having a debate with someone about withdrawing from the European Union. We both have differing opinions, she thinks it will damage us, whilst I disagree. I approach it by saying that if we are able to achieve a free trade agreement like other countries have, then withdrawal from the European Union would be sensible - it would allow us to maintain mutually beneficial trade with European countries whilst also allowing us to trade freely with the rest of the world.

She responses with if we leave the European Union the pound stirling will plummet, foreign investment will disappear, business will relocate elsewhere and Britain's economy will be damaged.

Note first that I have said if whilst she is dealing in absolutes by saying will.

I then ask her to provide evidence that said things will happen and she refused saying that my comments are based on wishful assumptions whilst hers are based on years of knowledge blah blah

Again, I am not taking her word for it, so I ask her to provide evidence and she responds with "Someone who knows about these things don't need to "prove" anything because it is like asking someone doing sums to "prove" that 2 and 2 make 4".

Sorry but no, that isn't how it works - people who know about things PROVE they are right with very thorough and detailed reports. They don't turn around and say "I am right because I am".

It's absolute nonsense.

So I am being insulted by some bint because she won't provide evidence for her claims.

ReputationRep:
    Georgie Thompson is single again!! :woo: :woo:

Spoiler:
    Show

:cool:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.