Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm loving how there is a quote on that article from someone saying that chess is a positive drug for children!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    OMG.... in the remake of DragonBall Z, Dragon Ball Kai, they have turned Mr Popo from black to purple because it was "racist"...

wtf...

Apparently Pokemon did the same to Jynx for the same reason.

What a load of *******s.
    Jynx is understandable because it was quite blatantly a gollywog. That's not political correctness gone mad, that's making a rare and desirable pokémon in several of the games a gollywog.

Also it looks better purple.

Wouldn't know about Dragonball though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Jynx is understandable because it was quite blatantly a gollywog. That's not political correctness gone mad, that's making a rare and desirable pokémon in several of the games a gollywog.

Also it looks better purple.

Wouldn't know about Dragonball though.
    This is Mr Popo:

ReputationRep:
    This is Mr Popo:

Lol. I can see why people would think that was racist, but I don't really think that's in the same league as Jynx. Oh look, black people are slutty magic creatures that can read your minds.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. I can see why people would think that was racist, but I don't really think that's in the same league as Jynx. Oh look, black people are slutty magic creatures that can read your minds.

I don't get how it is racist to be honest... Some of the Villains are pink, green or white... are we that racist to allow the negative stereotyping of pink, green and white people? It's an outrageous!

I hope the sarcasm is evident.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get how it is racist to be honest... Some of the Villains are pink, green or white... are we that racist to allow the negative stereotyping of pink, green and white people? It's an outrageous!

I hope the sarcasm is evident.
    It is, and I assume you realise that a big fat black guy with a stupid grin, pointed ears and a turban could be considered offensive toa platitude of people if seen to be doing certain things.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is, Dragonball Z and Pokémon are both japanese shows, and Japan has a much different culture when it comes to ethnicity, plus they've never really had blackface there.

As a result I fail to see how these two shows can be racist when the characters weren't meant to be black people or even derivatives thereof. It might be offensive to foreign cultures, but wasn't created for the purposes of creating offence.

ReputationRep:
    It is, and I assume you realise that a big fat black guy with a stupid grin, pointed ears and a turban could be considered offensive toa platitude of people if seen to be doing certain things.
    Powerful genie who serves with the Guardian of Earth... talented gardener as well. Able to swallow energy blasts without problem... speaks a couple of alien languages.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    http://conservativehome.blogs.com/th...-election.html

Thoughts? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Not bad actually. I mean, what he says about the Lib Dems taking credit is probably not going to end up being true, since the Tories are lumping every unpopular decision at the feet of the Lib Dems. But I've been saying for a while that Cameron will be wanting to consider an early election. He may be forced to have one actually.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting fact:

In 2009, tobacco duty raised £8.79bn for the government. At the same time, smoking related illnesses cost the NHS £5bn.

I find that rather interesting, personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)
    Interesting fact:

In 2009, tobacco duty raised £8.79bn for the government. At the same time, smoking related illnesses cost the NHS £5bn.

I find that rather interesting, personally.
    Meh. Figures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    Meh. Figures.
    Obviously, I'm not condoning smoking and it would be much better for everyone if more people gave up, I just find it interesting, especially when you hear people say that smokers should be banned from receiving NHS treatment.

ReputationRep:
    Not bad actually. I mean, what he says about the Lib Dems taking credit is probably not going to end up being true, since the Tories are lumping every unpopular decision at the feet of the Lib Dems. But I've been saying for a while that Cameron will be wanting to consider an early election. He may be forced to have one actually.
    It'll be like 1983 all over again or may be 1992 when the Tories were riven by infighting but the electoral couldn't quite bring themselves to let Labour win.

Well alright... well alright!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Cameron, or anyone in the coalition for that matter, particularly wants an election before 2015. Going to the polls while you're presiding over some of the biggest spending cuts in history would be curtains for both parties in government, and Montgomerie seems very short sighted in not seeing or even contemplating that. He presumes that the Tories would benefit from an early election, whereas more likely is a decreased seat share and no one of note willing to go into a coalition with them.
    The 'blame Labour for everything' excuse is wearing thin now and somehow I doubt 'Vote for us, so we can continue cutting public services' would go down very well with voters now that people have begun to see the effects of those cuts.
    Both the Tories and the Lib Dems are banking on going to the polls in 2015 shouting from the rooftops that the deficit crisis has been solved and the economy is motoring again.

Between calling an election and enduring a bit of handbags with the Lib Dems, I think Cameron would probably choose the latter.

ReputationRep:
    Who wants to listen to 'Candyshop' in German? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    I don't think Cameron, or anyone in the coalition for that matter, particularly wants an election before 2015. Going to the polls while you're presiding over some of the biggest spending cuts in history would be curtains for both parties in government, and Montgomerie seems very short sighted in not seeing or even contemplating that. He presumes that the Tories would benefit from an early election, whereas more likely is a decreased seat share and no one of note willing to go into a coalition with them.
    The 'blame Labour for everything' excuse is wearing thin now and somehow I doubt 'Vote for us, so we can continue cutting public services' would go down very well with voters now that people have begun to see the effects of those cuts.
    Both the Tories and the Lib Dems are banking on going to the polls in 2015 shouting from the rooftops that the deficit crisis has been solved and the economy is motoring again.

Between calling an election and enduring a bit of handbags with the Lib Dems, I think Cameron would probably choose the latter.
    It's likely. But he may have his hand forced if the Lib Dems end up breaking apart, leaving the coalition and he suddenly doesn't have a majority.

My Dolce Gusto coffee machine is ****ed :cry: how will I have my chococino now?

ReputationRep:
    I went for a walk today. I walked for 20 minutes and found a quiet spot on a hill where I spent two hours reading and sleeping under the sun and the clear blue sky.
    Fantastic.

Shame I have to go back to work tommorow.

ReputationRep:
    Just got messaged by someone who used to be a friend essentially reading "I've not done any lecture notes and am now really stuck revising please help me I'm too stupid to open a textbook like you told me to".

Bearing in mind I haven't stsrted revising that exam yet, how do I respond?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.