Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

So you use the phrase "popular kids"? watch

ReputationRep:
    I keep hearing this phrase from people recently over the last couple of years. I know it's been picked up from American teen movies and shows. Can someone explain what it means when they use this phrase?

Also, can you say what kind of school/college/university you go to where people use this phrase. i.e. is it public/private middle/working class and do they play rugby/football/nothing really. And is it north/south UK or abroad?

Why it confuses me is that yes people in school hang out in different groups but what makes one group more popular than another group? Is it just to do with the size of the group? Does that mean that the popular group has to have more than 50% of the school in it? But surely if the school has 1000 people then 500 people can't all sit around in a big circle talking to each other. :confused: And if another group has 499 members does that make it unpopular? What if the biggest group had the least attractive people in it and there were only 3 attractive people in a little group of their own would they be unpopular?

How would you know if you were in a "popular group"? Is it just a case of looking up/down at other groups. And do you have to have a vote on which groups to look up/down on to form a consensus?

Does being clever make you popular or a geek? Does being sporty make you popular or a chav in a tracksuit? Is it all just relative and a matter of opinion?

Please help me understand!!!:confused:

[BTW the title was supposed to be "Do you use the phrase..."]

ReputationRep:
    Popular -

Good-looking (fact)
    Have what other people want (Can refer to the good looks again)
    Good at sports, especially football....
    Being good at something, even the ugly guys which were so smart were quite popular because of just that reason

I went to a state school in SE London, full of about 80% black people.

ReputationRep:
    You have to be there, in first year of high school, in the middle of that fight for social dominance to understand. It's hard to explain I guess. The 'popular' people are actually not 'popular' at all. They are a bunch of people who other people seem to give importance to and then sit and complain about it, they seem to have a tendancy to accumulate haters and often don't know who their real friends are? :dontknow: this is a rough guess.

However you are only as popular as you think you are, some people (i'd like to think) must go through school/work/uni being complete oblivious to any social construct and just enjoy themselves. That's what you should do OP. Who cares who is popular. The world is bigger than that.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are taking this too literally. I've thought about it too. I think it's generally used everywhere now, so no particular place you would use it, American influence is very wide it seems, so it's become to well known. It's a stereotype in a sense one that exists everywhere so you'll find it everywhere, you use it to describe people that are generally mean and *****y girls and sporty guys, generally also a good looking bunch that spend all their time partying. In the movies they are popular but no one really like them in the actual sense of the word. It doesn't really also define size, so the groups don't need to be big, I tend to find these people don't have to be attractive, just dress in a certain way, and are mean and the guys are really sporty, and they are generally rich too. You'll of course get the attractive people in the group but there are people within it that aren't actually that attractive.

ReputationRep:
    Someone who has a lot of friends. Not all popular people are *****y mean and stupid. A person can be popular within their own group not only the entire school. A person can be popular for many different reasons and it's not fair to judge them because a lot of people like and respect them. You don't have to be pretty to be popular, but that does help with the opposite sex. However, Then you have the people who have a lot of "friends" because they are intimidating and/or mean and people are scared of them. Usually these kind of people aren't actually liked but people are "friends" with them so they don't get made fun of. This isn't is as common as is portrayed in movies, this website , tv shows ect. Usually popular people are popular because they have the good qualities people look for in a friend.

Laura is so nice and funny, no wonder she is so popular.

ReputationRep:
    Dont know about anyone elses school but the popular ones at mine were all *****es who nobody actually liked and the so called 'geeks' were actually very popular in their little circle
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I personally would say that it's someone who has lots of friends. At my school, there was this girl who is quite popular. She is very good at sports and have lots of friends. She is the daughter of the Deputy Head of School and quite smart. As a result, people want to be friend with her, she then has lots of friends and be seen as popular! All her friends also falls into the same category. ....

I went to a state secondary school in Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lexi99)
    Dont know about anyone elses school but the popular ones at mine were all *****es who nobody actually liked and the so called 'geeks' were actually very popular in their little circle
    exactly that's what I can't get my head around. But I suppose if all the geeks secretly fancied the *****y girls that would make them popular???

Is it maybe because the *****y girls are really LOUD and so are more well known whereas everyone else is quieter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noobynoo)

Is it maybe because the *****y girls are really LOUD and so are more well known whereas everyone else is quieter?
    Probably this. They're either more outspoken, speak more in class etc, or just little ****s so everyone knows who they are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lexi99)
    Probably this. They're either more outspoken, speak more in class etc, or just little ****s so everyone knows who they are
    I suppose it's like this in offices too. The office joker who is loud and obnoxious and never does any work. But somehow everyone likes them.

ReputationRep:
    '*****'

(plural of the 'c' word...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noobynoo)
    I suppose it's like this in offices too. The office joker who is loud and obnoxious and never does any work. But somehow everyone likes them.
    Yea except with the 'popular' kids at school nobody like them

ReputationRep:
    Have you never been to school? It's extremely hard to explain well.

ReputationRep:
    i know what you mean by 'popular' but when i was in school it wasn't so clear cut.

the people who impressed me and i wanted to spend time with were my friends! in my eyes they were the ones worth knowing and people who i didn't really spend time with sort of faded a little into the background.

i think sometimes the american view of 'popularity' is strange as in the films, some people seem way too interested in people they aren't actually friends with or like very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenglitter)
    i know what you mean by 'popular' but when i was in school it wasn't so clear cut.

the people who impressed me and i wanted to spend time with were my friends! in my eyes they were the ones worth knowing and people who i didn't really spend time with sort of faded a little into the background.

i think sometimes the american view of 'popularity' is strange as in the films, some people seem way too interested in people they aren't actually friends with or like very much.
    I agree. And I bet American schools aren't even like that it's just the writers who are remembering it wrong. I once saw the real school 90210 was based on and not one attractive person in it just fat spotty Americans with braces and stuff!!:rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.