Turn on thread page Beta

Mother has no respect for my privacy! watch

ReputationRep:
    Why do some parents feel its ok to snoop in their childrens things?.Ok the OP is 18 and therefore an adult which makes things even worse!.I have chidlren of my own, a little younger than the OP and I dont snoop in their business.Hey OP why not try going through your mums things and see how she likes it?.

ReputationRep:
    Start going through all her stuff - opening her post, reading her texts, etcetera.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halii_94)
    well my mother wants to check my bank accounts and what ive been buying when im older/ no joke lol

You could get around this by having 2 bank accounts and only showing her the statement from one of them.....obviously it would be the one that you only use for paying bills etc out of.Then have another one where you spend and buy whatever you like.

ReputationRep:
    tell her to **** off

ReputationRep:
    I have a box like that... it has my Windows & Sims CD's in, my memory stick, chocolate and a Justin Bieber poster that came in the paper on Sunday...:loony:

ReputationRep:
    I've been in the exact same situation all my life, but in addition to the privacy thing, I was never allowed to step out of the house without one of my parent accompanying me. Not to meet friends, not to go down to the cornershop, nothing.

I couldnt understand why my Mum was like that because it just made me want to hide things from her and defy her all the more....

I was really frustrated and kept getting into trouble at school, I even got suspended once...

By the time I finished my GCSE's I was at my wits end. I got really good grades so I applied to a number of boarding schools for Sixth Form and requested a scholarship to cover the fees. I got into one and I moved out for my last 2 years at school.

After A-levels, I chose to apply for scholarships at Universities abroad and moved away permanently.

Now I only visit once or twice a year. My Mum understands that I'm independent now, that she has no control over what I do when Im at uni, and that there's no point trying to control me for the few weeks im at home.

Just try to stick it out for a few months till uni. Let her do whatever she likes, because in a few months, you will have all the privacy you need and there will be nothing she can do about it. Its worth the wait. Trust me, things will improve once you move out...

ReputationRep:
    Meh, i'd smack her over the head with the box if my mum tried that with me :3 - i joke.......

I think the best idea i've seen is swap the contents of the box for a note saying ''screw you'' or ''that'll teach you for being a nosy ****er''

ReputationRep:
    Fill the box with spiders?

ReputationRep:
    You're 18, she's opening your mail. Isn't that illegal?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I used to live with a relative that was very old fashioned. Even upto 18 they wanted to know where I was all the time, checked my phone, went through my room "tidying", and although it's really annoying and wound me up, I just had to take everything on the chin and realise they where only doing it because they care.

Your only going to be there for a couple more months, and although your an adult, it's your mum's house so she probably thinks she has a right to know whats going on.

In her mind you are now, and probably always will be her baby still, so nothing you can say or do is going to change it.

If you tantrum and make a big fuss about it, it's going to arouse her suspisions and it's only going to get worse.

ReputationRep:
    I'll take a logical step beyond the information in the OP and ask: can't you scan it in and keep it on a USB pen? Or does the glow of a computer monitor do nothing for you?

ReputationRep:
    So... what's in the box?

This is a good idea to shock your mum?

http://images.cheezburger.com/comple...9cb8a6a810.jpg

ReputationRep:
    no offence to any of u lots , but ur all typical white people =/ what u lots crying bout privacy against the person that raised you, ur still living in there house and what ever is inside it belongs to them basicly and even if your "paying" to be there its still there property and they have the right to know the contents of it. BTW putting a padlock on a box does tempt curiousity obviously anyone would want to know whats inside it once they have seen it, cose its a bit like saying "theres something in hear that your not allowed to see" and thas like the dumbest thing u could say to ur parents since after that they WILL want to see whats inside it. Anyways bout hiding what ever ur hiding it makes more sense to hide somewhere where no one ever goes or somewhere hard to get to gl.... neg rep the hell out of me roflmao cose the truth hurts!

ReputationRep:
    im guessing there is nothing too secretive in that box, but it's a way for you to have some sort of privacy from your mum since you say she's been keeping a very close eye on you most of your life. but in the end she is your mum, relax a little! if you acted like you weren't bothered about her doing these things i think she would back away a little because then she would think you have nothing to hide. like you said you're leaving soon , so don't leave on a sour note.

ReputationRep:
    Its a toughy. Your mum has no right to do this to you.....but she's your mum. She's probably just worried about you, and thinks theres something drug related in there.

Best way to deal with it...is like an adult. Tell her that you appreciate that she's concerned about you, but there is nothing drug related in there. She needs to accept youre an adult now, and thus respect your privacy. Even if its your vibro, let her know (chances are that she';; have her own too ..lol). You need to feel comfortable and secure in your own room,

I suspect she's having a hard time letting go, its really not easy being a mum. Trouble is we only realise this when it happens to us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manesh2468)
    no offence to any of u lots , but ur all typical white people =/ what u lots crying bout privacy against the person that raised you, ur still living in there house and what ever is inside it belongs to them basicly and even if your "paying" to be there its still there property and they have the right to know the contents of it. BTW putting a padlock on a box does tempt curiousity obviously anyone would want to know whats inside it once they have seen it, cose its a bit like saying "theres something in hear that your not allowed to see" and thas like the dumbest thing u could say to ur parents since after that they WILL want to see whats inside it. Anyways bout hiding what ever ur hiding it makes more sense to hide somewhere where no one ever goes or somewhere hard to get to gl.... neg rep the hell out of me roflmao cose the truth hurts!
    "typical white people" :lolwut: get over yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Textbook case of *****es be crazeh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manesh2468)
    you're an idiot. So if i rent from a landlord, he has the right to go through my belongings? no. Just like if i was to pay rent to my mum she wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    "typical white people" :lolwut: get over yourself.
    what bout myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakeh)
    you're an idiot. So if i rent from a landlord, he has the right to go through my belongings? no. Just like if i was to pay rent to my mum she wouldn't.
    Actually he does... go learn something lol

if they find something is suspicious they have full rights to go throw anything present on there property.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 20, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.