Turn on thread page Beta

Popular kids - Were you one in high school? Why? watch

ReputationRep:
    yes until I got depressed; decided to put education first and recluse myself. lol.

ReputationRep:
    It changed through the years...I was always very unpopular for the first 4 years then year 11 I started to get quite a few new mates but was still really quiet and shy

ReputationRep:
    Was a bit of a shy loner until my best buddy moved away. Had to "fend for myself" and ended up turning into a bit of a class clown. I'd say outside of the popular group with a stable group of friends. The people who were deemed "popular" we're usually chavvy ********s with a reputation for being hard, having a certain last name and living on the surrounding estates (not hating - grew up on one).

I'd probably have stayed a shy loner if it wasn't for my semi decent footy skills. I don't know if this applies to other schools but at mine, if you were good at football then the chances of getting picked on etc were very slim :/ Used to awe the "hard" chavs in P.E with my silver R9 boots rofl. I feel a bit of a **** describing the popular kids this way because most of them were actually pretty cool when you talk to them but it's late, can't be bothered differentiating too much.

ReputationRep:
    popular kids at my school, well, the girls shovel on make up, not that clever, get pissed all the time and shag anything with 2 legs and a penis.
    the boys tend to be good at sport, muppets, get pissed all the time, not that clever, smoke weed but generally nice lads.
    I'm kind of in between not hugely popular because i dont go out and get drunk in a park (because i don't want my mother to crucify me to a door) but not unpopular

ReputationRep:
    I was voted "most opinionated" in high school, not "most popular" XD

ReputationRep:
    I got called a chav a lot :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Nope, too clever. :littleangel:

ReputationRep:
    Its sad but I'm going to reply because it is an interesting topic to think about.

I suppose all the way through secondary school I had interchangable friend groups. In year 7 and 8 I hung out with all the people who later unofficially become the 'popular kids' and as it was a grammar school I guess I was a bad influence. I introduced them to lots of things that I probaly shouldnt have.

In year 9 I got too lazy to go out onto the field at lunch and just chilled in the library at lunch and doodled and became friends with those who were probaly the 'nerds'. We had some good LAN parties in there at lunchtimes, a bit of AoE, CS and Starcraft was always fun.

At the beginning of Year 10 I became friends with the 2 people who everyone knew, everyone liked but they were 'too cool to be popular' if that makes sense. In year 10 and 11 we were good friends and I hung out with them, they got me to loads of parties and stuff and I wish I could redo those 2 years. Oh ye and in year 10/11 there were also the smoking group and we all became good friends. Got to know some 6th formers and it was just something to do at break and lunch. Smoking is social.

Overall I was labelled the 'stoner kid' in year 8 and it stuck. Its funny because those who called me a 'wasteman' and a 'stoner' all bought weed from me at least once in year 10/11.

Also I was voted 'Most likely to end up in rehab' and 'Most likely to be a starving artist' even though I did design at the time, and Im strictly only a weed smoker, nothign else

ReputationRep:
    Well, Im not sure what Popularity is.
    Because you can be Infamous or Liked for different reasons.
    But me, I came across as a "Social Butterfly".
    Students had their own clicks and groups, and I try to be friendly with all of them.
    The bad point was you never had a true affliation or your own group, since you were with everyone...

ReputationRep:
    Was known as the half virgin at school.... loooooooong story, and makes no sense.

ReputationRep:
    Very unpopular.

It quickly came apparent to me I could never get on with people who wore frilly thongs at the age of 11, found it astonishing I owned a book and thought "precisely" was a long word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by broken_circles)
    was known as the half virgin at school.... Loooooooong story, and makes no sense.
    Expand!
    E x p a n d !
    E x p a n d !

ReputationRep:
    Without a doubt the most opinionated in high school. People liked me because of it others hated it alot didn't like that I was arsed about doing well, well this just made me more determined so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Were you one? Why? Why not?

Were you almost but not quite or - Bit outside the 'popular' group but you still had your normal, stable group of friends or did you fit in one of the generic stereotypes - loner, goth, Rap / ghetto kid, preppy, naive, innocent, geek, Chav, bully, The kid that had everything in his pockets, the rich kid, The kid that lied all the time etc

I wanted to be a walrus.

But it wasn't an available stereotype.

ReputationRep:
    Ha, no.
    In year 7/8 I was too clever or geeky.
    9/10 too emo/gothy. (Was neither of these)
    11 I kinda had a group of friends.
    Throughout all of this I spent most of my time in orchestra though like a band geek.

Anyone else noticed that the unpopular outnumbered the 'popular' people and since everyone hated the popular people... why are they 'popular'?

:moon: I shall never know...

ReputationRep:
    I was popular because

1. I was best freinds with the hardest/coolest guy in the school. His dad was a big drug dealer.

2. I came from a tough area and hung with tough people out of school whereas most students were from better backgrounds. As one from a rougher area involved in drugs and such got you higher 'çool'status at high school.

3. I always wore the best clothes. Desginer clothes.

4. I was good at sports and art.

5. I was good looking....damn what happened.

6. I was funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisnew)
    The people who were deemed "popular" we're usually chavvy ********s with a reputation for being hard, having a certain last name and living on the surrounding estates (not hating - grew up on one).
    ha thats what I was reffering to.

Its pretty true tbh

ReputationRep:
    Wtf seems like almost everyone from TSR were in unpopular crowd!!!!! evv,im outta here

ReputationRep:
    i was the one everybody liked. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    What actually makes a kid popular?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.