Turn on thread page Beta

Popular kids - Were you one in high school? Why? watch

ReputationRep:
    Naive/innocent (what's the difference?), nerdy loner at start.
    By end of Year 10, I was just a relatively really quiet, relatively really shy loner.

The popular kids picked on me verbally in Year 7 but it wasn't anywhere near as bad after that. Presumably, due to my much older brother taking down one of the "hardest" popular kids after they had nicked my brother's mates' football. It was either that realization of "oh ****, he has a brother" or (preferably) the thought of "oh, that kid's alright actually" that caused them to generally leave me alone.

After that, I wasn't particularly liked or disliked by the majority of the year, basically an Inbetweener without the small group of mates. I think my popularity has risen after my Eddie the Eagle-esque efforts on a ski trip and a confrontation with a teacher. Apparently, I'm in the running for most of the yearbook awards (our year's weird, they pick the most "unusual" person to get/do everything, whether that be Sports Day or yearbook awards). I think the "worst" award I could get is most likely to die alone, which might be a self fulfilling prophecy, if you let that wind you up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willum Infanta)
    It changed through the years...I was always very unpopular for the first 4 years then year 11 I started to get quite a few new mates but was still really quiet and shy
    Or if my post is TL;DR, alternatively read this.

ReputationRep:
    Certainly not.
    I have a bit of my mother's South American tan and was the only person in the school for the first couple of years or so that wasn't white. I was also exceptionally shy and found it difficult to connect with other kids so this left the goal wide open to be labelled 'paki' and other assorted racist names. In my last two years I turned into a 'greebo' but was glad that most people just stuck to calling me 'weird' for the remainder of school.
    Man if I could go back in time I'd kick some serious school kid ass!!

ReputationRep:
    I was popular, but for all the wrong reasons!

ReputationRep:
    I was quite popular in primary school but after that I wouldn't say I was popular no, I was very quiet and shy didn't really get myself out there and didn't really have much confidence, that changed around about year 12 when I moved to a college :P

ReputationRep:
    I was one of the 'not quite popular but still had your normal, stable group of friends'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordenfruitbat)
    I was quite popular in primary school but after that I wouldn't say I was popular no, I was very quiet and shy didn't really get myself out there and didn't really have much confidence, that changed around about year 12 when I moved to a college :P
    I was the most popular person in priamry school. FULL STOP. you shoudl see my report cards...So damn popular I was really. Best at drawing, best at sports, had the hottest girls all want me, went out with the hottest girls etc.

I Shoudl never have left primary school.

ReputationRep:
    I was arguably more 'notorious' than 'popular'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-boss-91)
    no i wasn't, i was branded a freak show due to my deafness but being deaf strangely made me untouchable to bullies. Almost everyone refuses to talk to me, blanks me. But i stood out in the crowd with my bonker's dress sense as i refuse to be invisible as my year were trying to make me.

high school sucks, 1st year of sixth form sucks, i'm glad i moved out of blackburn so i can reinvent myself.
    Aww. If it makes you feel any better, Beethoven was deaf.

I think I fit into the stereotype of "nerd". It doesn't bother me one bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN)
    i was and still is the most well known person in my high school, but i was never particularly popular; peoples perceptions of me rose and waned. but still, when i go near my school even the year 7's who've never met me know my name.
    No offense but were you the village idiot?

ReputationRep:
    At middle school, I guess you could say I was seen as something of a 'geek' - "she's always got her head in a book" etc. I was never really unpopular, people were just generally neutral. I came from a school where there were only 4 other pupils in the year, so the sheer size of the new place shocked me and I stuck to a little friendship group.

Now, I'm not a part of the "popular group" as such, but tbh I'm well-liked and respected by everyone - I tend to do my utmost to avoid making enemies, and it shows. I've gotten much more confident/relaxed so not really seen in a geeky light. I chat to/sit next to in class/would say I'm friends with a fair number of the 20 or so who form the core of the popular group, have been to a couple of parties with them etc. I'd say I'm on the fringes - not a part, but closer than most of the year are. I have my group of 20 or so friends who are even more lovely. A few on the fringes of that aren't seen as particularly cool, but my best friends and I are def popular as it liked I would say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    I was arguably more 'notorious' than 'popular'.
    Are you sure you're not confusing high school with TSR? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I went to two high schools. The first was a state school, the second a private school. At the state school, I was there from year 7 - year 9, I was 'popular' in the case that everyone knew my name, but a lot of girls hated me. They would randomnly start **** with me and stuff like that, and then made my life hell when I won a modeling competition, I pretty much hated life there. The thing is I'm not the type of person to take **** from anyone, so even though I was a very nice person if you decided to make my life hell and punch me, I will punch you back. Pull my hair, i will pull your hair back. I had a few friends who were very shy and weren't involved in any drama, unlike myself.

At the private school, although I don't really believe in labels and things like that, if we were to go with the label I was pretty 'popular' for the first few months and went to every party etc. but then fell into the 'normal-ish' group. I wasn't exactly kicked out of the popular group, I left by choice because I didn't feel like I fitted in with them. But I still talk to them a lot.

Overall I've learned that it is best to get along with everyone and that way you will be respect by all groups. This is the best way as if you ever get into a little of trouble, you're free to make your way into another group.

Just be nice to everyone. To be honest this isn't the best piece of advice because I actually was really nice to everyone, but unfortunately some people weren't nice back and just threw it all back in my face. Avoid those who don't like you and focus on the people who like you, and most of all focus on the reason you're at school: your studies.

ReputationRep:
    I was the class joker and a legend in the playground (Football).

ReputationRep:
    Nope I wasn't. I found it hard to make friends and even harder to keep them. Didn't help when one girl in particular seemed determined to ruin all of my friendships. I was too shy to do anything and was probably seen by most people as a goody two shoes. People seemed to know my name though. Oh well, thats over now thank goodness.

ReputationRep:
    I think in order to be 'popular' (that word makes me cringe, it's like we are out of a 'bring it on' movie or something) you either have to be a sort of conformist or a really confident, easy going person.

I am neither a conformist nor am I really confident.
    And actually, it probably all comes down to the fact that I never wanted to be 'popular' I loved having my little group of friends, and I was just content with that.

ReputationRep:
    I swear to God we actually didn't have popular people at our school. There were some people who were slightly more "nerdy" than others but they still had loads of friends, and people who went out every weekend were friends with people who spent loads of time in the library.
    When my friend told me about "mean girls" at her school I honestly thought she was joking, I didn't know people were actually like that "/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Were you one? Why? Why not?

Were you almost but not quite or - Bit outside the 'popular' group but you still had your normal, stable group of friends or did you fit in one of the generic stereotypes - loner, goth, Rap / ghetto kid, preppy, naive, innocent, geek, Chav, bully, The kid that had everything in his pockets, the rich kid, The kid that lied all the time etc
    i am in upper sixth and since going into sixth form i have become more "popular" however i am friends with everyone and hate fights :P i became more liked when i got with one of the "popular" guys at a party and since then he always has time for me, and therefore am liked by his friends as they are all sheep who follow each other around. i learnt going up the school how being friends with everyone than having different enemies is easier. i am also told that i am popular in my friendship group

ReputationRep:
    We didn't even have 'popular' group at our secondary school. We had rather small years (only about 120 people each year group) and everyone just knew each other and hung out in their own crowds of mates with coming together most lunch times for year group wide games of football . A lot of the rest of the school knew me in the last few years, guess It's because I was one of the very few white kids, pretty bright and decent at sports back then.

ReputationRep:
    Noo, that wasn't me.

Although I think a lot of it was my own mentality - I constantly felt like they didn't like me, so I avoided spending time with any of them. I know it probably wasn't true, but thats the way it felt. There was a 'popular' group, and then a normal group consisting of most of the girls in the year, and that was my group

I had about 5 or 6 really close friends though, and those are the ones I've stuck with since leaving secondary school, but the others not so much.

College definately doesn't have a 'popular' crowd. There's too many of us. There is a crowd who think they are popular, but they aren't really cause noone wants to be in their litle group. I like to think I'm relatively popular, but no more than anyone else

EDIT: Just checked, and there 1500 people in my college :O Wayyy more than I thought, so no wonder there's no popular crowd.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.