Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is applying to US firms a little pointless? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I ask since I've started thinking about which firms to apply for vacation schemes with, and I'd love to work for a US firm at the end of it all. But I know they have a much smaller intake. I got offered open days with A&O and Simmons & Simmons. I'm not getting ahead of myself, I know it's just an open day but at the very least it shows my previous grades/employment/experience/blah are good enough to get past the application stages at these firms and thus I am hopeful of getting some interviews. Contrasted to Weil and Edward Angell...I sent off my applications for open days with them and they've pretty much been ignored, unless they just take far far longer.

I won't give my entire history or anything, but just curious as to peoples opinion on US firms and whether to bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam o0o)
    I ask since I've started thinking about which firms to apply for vacation schemes with, and I'd love to work for a US firm at the end of it all. But I know they have a much smaller intake. I got offered open days with A&O and Simmons & Simmons. I'm not getting ahead of myself, I know it's just an open day but at the very least it shows my previous grades/employment/experience/blah are good enough to get past the application stages at these firms and thus I am hopeful of getting some interviews. Contrasted to Weil and Edward Angell...I sent off my applications for open days with them and they've pretty much been ignored, unless they just take far far longer.

I won't give my entire history or anything, but just curious as to peoples opinion on US firms and whether to bother.
    Your success in applying to any firm is incredibly difficult to predict.

However, there is one absolute certainty. If you don't apply, you won't be successful.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't ask, you don't get.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of EAPD they take an absolute ice age to reply. They didn't get back to me about my vac scheme app til March so I assumed it was a pfo and applied for the TC. Now I've done the vac scheme interview they said I'd hear from then by the end of last week and.. Nada. Although this could also be a pfo..

Hang tight! I really liked EAPD everyone was really friendly and it's not like a typical 'US' firm, they work really hard to keep their English identity which is nice.

ReputationRep:
    You are reading into it too much, I think. You will have the same results at lots of other firms: if you only applied to 2 firms and got 2 open days, I'd say thats (at least in part) lucky unless you are super super super super good!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I realise it was probably partly due to luck, although it's a little confidence boost nonetheless. I'm definitely not an 'exceptional' candidate when talking about the general standard that apply to US/MC, but I think I stand a chance.

Thanks for the replies guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    You are reading into it too much, I think. You will have the same results at lots of other firms: if you only applied to 2 firms and got 2 open days, I'd say thats (at least in part) lucky unless you are super super super super good!
    I agree entirely.

That said, the OP is in his first year of a non-law degree! What's shocking is that he's getting open day offers at all--I wouldn't sweat this at all.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think EAPD would be particularly happy being grouped with Weil and other American firms - your generalisation doesn't really make sense, perhaps you haven't done enough research. As others have said don't read too much into it, you're only first year non-law and open days don't really matter in the scheme of things.

ReputationRep:
    jjarvis, I don't know why it's shocking but I was careful to make sure the firms accepted apps from first year non-law. There were plenty I couldn't apply to.
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    I don't think EAPD would be particularly happy being grouped with Weil and other American firms - your generalisation doesn't really make sense, perhaps you haven't done enough research. As others have said don't read too much into it, you're only first year non-law and open days don't really matter in the scheme of things.
    The extent of my research has been minimal admittedly, and yes I don't really know the difference between all the American firms. Hopefully after the summer that situation will have improved dramatically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam o0o)
    jjarvis, I don't know why it's shocking but I was careful to make sure the firms accepted apps from first year non-law. There were plenty I couldn't apply to.
    Fair enough--it's good you're getting offers. But you're several years off applying for vac schemes/a TC, so anything you get now is probably more than enough. I didn't know there were firms that accepted apps from first year non-law students--plenty won't even accept apps from first year students who *do* study law.

ReputationRep:
    Why wouldn't you group them together?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resipsaloq)
    Why wouldn't you group them together?
    There's very little in common between those firms in terms of culture, makeup, hours, pay, practice area.

ReputationRep:
    There's very little in common between those firms in terms of culture, makeup, hours, pay, practice area.
    Thanks. Just saw that Weil pay NQs 85k or thereabout. Whew!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resipsaloq)
    Thanks. Just saw that Weil pay NQs 85k or thereabout. Whew!
    And I hate to see the working hours.

ReputationRep:
    You need to stop saying this in threads, I've seen you do it before and it's a real knock to confidence.

The OP has just completed his first year, like I have. For what it's worth, he seems to have done plenty of research to get onto open days (which coincidentally are open to anyone at any stage) at such prestigious firms.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, students at the end of their first years have plenty of time to learn and grow, so don't come accuse them of not bothering to research as the truth is that many of them are very new to how things work and getting on the right track.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marrythenight)
    You need to stop saying this in threads, I've seen you do it before and it's a real knock to confidence.

The OP has just completed his first year, like I have. For what it's worth, he seems to have done plenty of research to get onto open days (which coincidentally are open to anyone at any stage) at such prestigious firms.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, students at the end of their first years have plenty of time to learn and grow, so don't come accuse them of not bothering to research as the truth is that many of them are very new to how things work and getting on the right track.
    I really don't understand why you've searched through my posts to bump this three month old thread. Let it go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjarvis)
    Fair enough--it's good you're getting offers. But you're several years off applying for vac schemes/a TC, so anything you get now is probably more than enough. I didn't know there were firms that accepted apps from first year non-law students--plenty won't even accept apps from first year students who *do* study law.
    Really? I've not found that to be the case, perhaps it was different when you applied. Generally, the firms leave it open ended as to who should be applying, unless they specifically and more commonly state 'for first years.'

I've attended a mixture of both - for first years and for anyone else. The open days specifically for first years have been nice () but when you're a first year and attending an open day that is full of GDL grduates, LPC students and third years, it can be quite intimidating since many of them are very, very desperate to join the firm since they're quite late in their academic studies. It's probably why some firms, as you say, don't mix them up.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand why you've searched through my posts to bump this three month old thread. Let it go.
    Oh, I didn't, I was browsing the subforum, which coincidentally is encouraged so as not to create dupe threads. I hope you take the advice on board when posting in my "Vac Schemes 2012'' thread. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marrythenight)
    Oh, I didn't, I was browsing the subforum, which coincidentally is encouraged so as not to create dupe threads. I hope you take the advice on board when posting in my "Vac Schemes 2012'' thread. Thanks
    I think I might just stop replying to you since you're clearly a troll.

ReputationRep:
    I think I might just stop replying to you since you're clearly a troll.
    Check my post history, all genuine and no troll. I just think you could take more care when accusing people of having not done any research - they're first years for crying out loud, give them time and they will be perfect this time in a year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.