Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I've just put a degree classification calculator online, and if anyone is interested in seeing what they might get I'd be grateful for any feedback or thoughts.

The calculator is here:
    http://cleveret.net/?page_id=29

Basically, I made it because I wanted to work out what I might be able to get in various scenarios. Apparently it's possible to use the qualification planner in studenthome to "predict your degree classification", but then when I try it says "Due to the complex structure of this qualification it is not suitable for the qualification planner.".

I'd be particularly grateful if anyone who has graduated could try it with their grades to see if it correctly calculates their degree. If it does get it wrong, please note that I'm pretty sure the mistake will be at my end, so don't go complaining to the OU!

Thanks,

Tim

ReputationRep:
    Oops. Just realised that since moving this from the test site it stopped working in Internet Explorer (although it was fine in it before, and worked in firefox on the new site - typical).

Anyway, it's now mended and has been tested in firefox, ie, safari and on my mobile phone.
    http://cleveret.net/?page_id=29

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty good! I've bookmarked it for future use when I have my next two level 2 grades, heh.

ReputationRep:
    It is worth pointing out that some are complicated. The Degree I did had three 'routes' and if you did a combination of two of these routes then the best result was used. It boiled down to three courses for me in the end with variations such as:

Course A - 1
    Course B - 2
    Course C - 1
    Result - First

Course A - 1
    Course B - 1
    Course C - 2
    Result - First

Course A - 2
    Course B - 1
    Course C - 1
    Result - 2:1

So I would advise you, if you have a degree that has specific rules (possibly due to some accreditation meaning some modules take priority) that you be very careful when predicting grades.

This is especially the case if you are taking a tactical approach to the exams.

Luckily for me I did not have that option as I ended up in my final year with two exams. If I managed two distinctions I would get a first, anything else a 2:1.

ReputationRep:
    Nice job. I like the way you can see how its calculated. That should provide an understanding for those who aren't sure.

ReputationRep:
    Glad it seemed to work for those of you that tried it.

@DouglasBrown, I'm not sure I fully understand your post. I explain on the page that the calculator won't cater for more complicated situations. If you just mean that the good grades should be considered before worse grades, then it does that. The "Working out your class of honours" pdf specifies that "We take the grades you obtain in your best 120 credits". Hence my calculator sorts by grade and applies then calculates the classification. The order you enter your courses in makes no difference. Admittedly, if certain modules take priority on a programmes there is no provision for that. I haven't seen any examples of that in my qualifications, nor is it mentioned on the pdf.

ReputationRep:
    For the degree I did (Economics and Mathematics) the level three modules I did were

M343 Applications of Probability (30 points)
    MT365 Graphs Networks and Design (30 points)
    M346 Linear Statistical Modelling (30 points)
    D319 Understanding economic behaviour (60 points)

Now all were at level 3 but due to the rules only 120 points are used for L3 grading. Also D319 and M346 must be included in the calculation.

So the following would result in a 1st

D316 - Pass2
    M343 - Pass2
    MT365 - Distinction
    M346 - Distinction

And so would

D316 - Pass2
    M343 - Distinction
    MT365 - Pass2
    M346 - Distinction

But the following would not

D316 - Pass2
    M343 - Distinction
    MT365 - Distinction
    M346 - Pass2

ReputationRep:
    On Student Home if you use the qualification planner you get the option to predict your overall grades:

https://msds.open.ac.uk/students/qpsubjects.aspx

Hope this helps...

ReputationRep:
    Hi epistolary,

Thanks for the link. I have now managed to try the planner. Unfortunately the degree I'm working towards (B14) isn't listed there for some reason, maybe because it's being discontinued. For similar degrees I've looked at the planner says either:

"Due to the complex structure of this qualification it is not suitable for the qualification planner. Details can be found on the Courses and Qualifications website."

or

"The qualification planner is not available for this qualification.".

Not very helpful. Also, my calculator attempts to give some breakdown of how the classification has been calculated, so students can try and reconcile it with the PDF provided, or maybe gain a better understanding of how they could try and improve their final classification.

So hopefully my calculator is still of some use.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.