This discussion is closed.
tartan-gal
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
any one else think oxford and cambridge are a bit over rated?
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
:confused:
Pollo Loco
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Over rated? :confused: How so?
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by tartan-gal)
aahhmmm....NO?!
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 15 years ago
Yes, for some subjects there are other institutions that are superior to Oxford and/or Cambridge but they don't get the same level of recognition because they lack the history and reputation of Oxbridge. The Oxbridge reputation was built on solid foundations of excellence and they are undeniably great but they are by no means the be all and end of the academic world, as so many would have you believe.
Bitewing
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes (whoops, - sorry to be a little contriversial) - it seems that some people on her get a little obsessive about Oxbridge, other institutions don't seem to get a look in.
musicbloke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
the fact is that oxbridge have a teaching style different from anywhere else in the uk. You may like or dislike this.

Musicboy
Bitewing
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by musicboy)
the fact is that oxbridge have a teaching style different from anywhere else in the uk. You may like or dislike this.

Musicboy
How is the style different?
musicbloke
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bitewing)
How is the style different?
1:1 or 2:1 teaching rather than 6:1 or 7:1. also you get the top academics in your field (pretty much the same at other russell group unis).

Musicboy
Alex_R
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hi there, I feel the style of oXbridge teaching is different in a number of ways. First of all there is the unique supervision/tutorial system which allows small group (one on two or one usually for arts and one on three or four for the sciences) teaching conducted by experts in their fields. I have three or four of these a week and they are invaluable as you can learn more in one of them than you can at half a term's lectures at some universities.

Secondly Oxford and Cambridge have the largest concentration of world experts in the country and thus all aspects of teaching: lectures and practicals are that much improved. It's quite a feeling to have as your demonstrator in practical class someone who is only just short of winning a nobel prize.

Finally I feel the best thing about Oxbridge education is the environment you're in. If you ask any big cheese at another university what their major goal would be to raise academic standards it would be 24-7 learning (a modern educational theory - but a good one) which is to say the atmosphere is geared towards study at most times. I don't mean to say students here spend all hours of all days in front of the books and don't go out regularly and get drunk (one of my favourite pastimes) but everyone here knows what their primary purpose is and therefore there is always something academic going on be it optional science society lectures, group study sessions or most importantly just being able to talk to your mates about work without feeling out of place or receiving a disinterested stare. That is what the style of Oxbidge is.
Suzy_vet
Report 15 years ago
Oxbridge are def not the be all and end all. However i personally am looking forward to tutorials which i think will really help me, and the way that there is always a director of studies that you can go and talk to if you have questions.

For certain courses, there are better facilites else where, like comp sci i believe? (correct me if im wrong, but oxbridge generally being quite old, i have heard that they wernt very geared up to new technology with all plugs and stuff)
sisyphus
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Suzy_vet)
Oxbridge are def not the be all and end all. However i personally am looking forward to tutorials which i think will really help me, and the way that there is always a director of studies that you can go and talk to if you have questions.

For certain courses, there are better facilites else where, like comp sci i believe? (correct me if im wrong, but oxbridge generally being quite old, i have heard that they wernt very geared up to new technology with all plugs and stuff)
I'm not sure that Oxford and Cambridge are over-rated exactly, after all they really are remarkable institutions, but it is perhaps true that, in certain respects, the difference between them and other universities is over-stated.

I must admit i found many of my contemporaries at Cambridge rather underwhelming and, although I did meet many bright sparks there, after going to a very academic school I did not find people as intelligent as I had expected. I have since taught at another Russell group university, and I found the level of the majority of students there equivalent in ability to the majority of students at Oxbridge. I suppose where Oxbridge differs from other universities is that it creams off most of the very best, but I do feel that perhaps the majority of Oxbridge students just ride on the coat tails of a gifted few.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by musicboy)
1:1 or 2:1 teaching rather than 6:1 or 7:1. also you get the top academics in your field (pretty much the same at other russell group unis).

Musicboy
If you're lucky - all my supervisions are with 4 people. They're still good though.

Alex - Christ's medics, not working? What's wrong with you? We're the slackers round here! (Unfortunately can't get drunk at the moment due to glandular fever :rolleyes: but am having fun just the same)
musicbloke
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
If you're lucky - all my supervisions are with 4 people. They're still good though.

Alex - Christ's medics, not working? What's wrong with you? We're the slackers round here! (Unfortunately can't get drunk at the moment due to glandular fever :rolleyes: but am having fun just the same)
Sorry, i was looking at it from a musicy perspective - only a couple of undergrads a year in each college (except for selwyn and girton)

Musicboy
Daenerys
Report 15 years ago
Maybe. I'm concerned that while I'm struggling to keep up with work, I'm missing out on developing as a person- I just don't have time to join societies I'd like to, or chill out at the union with friends. It may sound like I'm making excuses, but I'm too concerned to risk giving up more time for social stuff.
Daenerys
Report 15 years ago

Are you the Helen that used to post on the bbc's teen board? I was there too
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Daenerys)
Are you the Helen that used to post on the bbc's teen board? I was there too
Yes, I was! Who were you?

They banned me now, for being too old.

This is weird, you're the second person here that knows me from there :eek:
frappucino
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Alex_R)
Hi there, I feel the style of oXbridge teaching is different in a number of ways. First of all there is the unique supervision/tutorial system which allows small group (one on two or one usually for arts and one on three or four for the sciences) teaching conducted by experts in their fields. I have three or four of these a week and they are invaluable as you can learn more in one of them than you can at half a term's lectures at some universities.

Secondly Oxford and Cambridge have the largest concentration of world experts in the country and thus all aspects of teaching: lectures and practicals are that much improved. It's quite a feeling to have as your demonstrator in practical class someone who is only just short of winning a nobel prize.

Finally I feel the best thing about Oxbridge education is the environment you're in. If you ask any big cheese at another university what their major goal would be to raise academic standards it would be 24-7 learning (a modern educational theory - but a good one) which is to say the atmosphere is geared towards study at most times. I don't mean to say students here spend all hours of all days in front of the books and don't go out regularly and get drunk (one of my favourite pastimes) but everyone here knows what their primary purpose is and therefore there is always something academic going on be it optional science society lectures, group study sessions or most importantly just being able to talk to your mates about work without feeling out of place or receiving a disinterested stare. That is what the style of Oxbidge is.
first of all i think all good univeristies (i.e. not necessarily only oxbridge) provide an environment like the one you describe above, where learning continues outside lectures and tutorials.

about the tutorial thing, IMO it hamperes individual thought. too much individual attention keeps you from working on problem sets on your own like it is done at most US colleges. i know everyone will object but i think that the fact that your tutors or whoever provide you with the answers is very lecture-like. all you can do i s ask questions (intelligent ones i guess)

so yeah, i think oxbridge is overrated. it's all about their history. i think e.g. an imperial degree in science is as valuable as an oxbridge one. same goes for LSE and law etc.

cheers.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by frappucino)
i know everyone will object but i think that the fact that your tutors or whoever provide you with the answers is very lecture-like. all you can do i s ask questions (intelligent ones i guess)
Au contraire.

Except, of course, when there is a factual answer, they're there to encourage you to think for yourselves.
Alex1234
Report 15 years ago

I have sympathy. I have glandular fever at the moment too. It sucks. Get better soon x
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (110)
17.92%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.04%
Not great so far... (221)
35.99%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.06%

Watched Threads