This discussion is closed.
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by frappucino)
i know everyone will object but i think that the fact that your tutors or whoever provide you with the answers is very lecture-like. all you can do i s ask questions (intelligent ones i guess)
I get considerably more out of most supervisions than the lectures, they're on the whole not with the lecturer again and so you can ask them to explain sections you've not understood and they mark your written work and go over the bits you've got incorrect (it's normally fairly obviously right or wrong in my subject). They aren't always brilliant, but even the bad ones if you keep asking the questions then try and explain it eventually.
By the way, the least 'intelligent' question you can ask in a supervision is for them to explain how something works... and that's a bloody useful question.

Alaric.
Daenerys
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Yes, I was! Who were you?

They banned me now, for being too old.

This is weird, you're the second person here that knows me from there :eek:
I was the oddly named 'Whisper of a Shadow' probably you won't remember me, I didn't post very frequently! Who else is here?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Daenerys)
I was the oddly named 'Whisper of a Shadow' probably you won't remember me, I didn't post very frequently! Who else is here?
No, I remember the name. What sort of time period were you around there? The other person from there is Nylex, who was iverson fan there, I think. I've been banned now for being too old :rolleyes: Are you at Camb now then?

Thanks for the good wishes, Alex1234 - I've been very lucky and am nearly better, but I can't drink for a while yet. Hope you get better really soon as well.
Daenerys
Report 15 years ago
No, I remember the name. What sort of time period were you around there? The other person from there is Nylex, who was iverson fan there, I think. I've been banned now for being too old :rolleyes: Are you at Camb now then?
l.
Hmm, was around for a couple of years, haven't been back much, suppose technically I'm still young enough I guess! I'm at Oxford doing biology, though once I did consider Cambridge for Natural Sciences. Certainly been an... interesting time so far, if very, very rocky! In hindsight I can now fully appreciate the merits of taking a gap year. How's the Cam experience for you?
frappucino
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Au contraire.

Except, of course, when there is a factual answer, they're there to encourage you to think for yourselves.
so for science (what i wanted to study) there can't be that much of a difference. with or without an alumnus named newton...
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well, it depends how you look at it. I personally don't like to be left to do everything on my own - I tend to end up beating myself around the head and going round in circles if I don't understand. Supervisors are there to help you with that - they don't tell you the answer straight out most of the time, but make you work it out, so it's just as much your own thinking in the end. It's better to have someone there to go through things with, in my opinion, rather than to be left to flounder on your own.

But by all means don't apply here if you don't think it's right for you!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (24)
6.88%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.46%
I don't think they'd understand (53)
15.19%
It might lead to more bullying (135)
38.68%
There's nothing they could do (104)
29.8%

Watched Threads