Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Will more reps or heavier weight get faster muscle growth watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    For example

I could do 1 chin up. Now I can do 15 chin ups.

Will I get much bigger if I work up to 20-30 chin ups

Or would it be better to do weighted chin ups?

ReputationRep:
    Go weighted with a weight that allows for 5-8 reps, I think that's the general consensus anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jono404)
    Go weighted with a weight that allows for 5-8 reps, I think that's the general consensus anyway.
    I thought so but say I dotn have weights to use one day.

Could I make up for it by doing lots more volume or stuff like real slow reps or explosive chin ups etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daman)
    I thought so but say I dotn have weights to use one day.

Could I make up for it by doing lots more volume or stuff like real slow reps or explosive chin ups etc?
    I'd say yes, i've got seperate days for strength and hypertrophy. Explosive would be pretty helpful for improving weight pull ups as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakelee)
    I'd say yes, i've got seperate days for strength and hypertrophy. Explosive would be pretty helpful for improving weight pull ups as well.
    So lets be hypothetical for a moment lol/

Lets take situation

A. using boyweight. All sets to near failure. With short rest between sets

You do:

Versus

B. Weighted with say 15kg plate.

Which routine is liekly to lead to mor hypertophy or minimal difference?

ReputationRep:
    Shock tactic mate. For me personally less reps and pushing the limit with weights worked. Really shock your muscles with short sharp bursts of weight lifting and it's the fastes most effective way (for me at least).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daman)
    For example

First of all, do you want to get bulky or you want to get toned up?

Edit - Why am I suffering from excess negs today?

So many white guys on TSR. Many that's why you don't understand what I meant

ReputationRep:
    Try reading a book called Body By Science (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Body-Science...dp/0071597174/) they emphasise short intense bursts of resistance training once a week is the best way of building muscle.

If you don't want to read the book then watch this video where Doug McGuff MD talks for 1 hour and 38 minutes about it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PdJFbjWHEU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daman)
    For example

I'd say aim for 3 sets of 8 reps with the highest weight poss...

So next time add 10kg and if you can do 3 sets of 8 then increase the weight a bit more...

Doing 20+ reps is more for endurance. Hypertrophy will be better at like 8 reps of hgiher weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phranky)
    Try reading a book called Body By Science (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Body-Science...dp/0071597174/) they emphasise short intense bursts of resistance training once a week is the best way of building muscle.

If you don't want to read the book then watch this video where Doug McGuff MD talks for 1 hour and 38 minutes about it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PdJFbjWHEU
    One full body workout per week?

I will check it out. I have read and tried so much...HIT, HST, Volume, Rippeltoads etc..lol

Anyway. I am extreme ecto I was 5'10 115lbs at 18. Now Im like 135 and ripped.

Id liek to be 145 at least. Ideally 150-160 I think?

However, I know diet is very important and eating enough calories....And that is my main problem...Training is fun, eating all the time aint. Its like another job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Hakz*)
    First of all, do you want to get bulky or you want to get toned up?
    What the hell's the neg for?

ReputationRep:
    If you're 5'10 and don't even weigh 10stone you should just be focused on heavy compounds at the moment, your not likely to ever be fat if you are ecto so nom everything in sight.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell's the neg for?
    Don't think it was me but it's probably because your question was stupid...

Whether they want to "bulk" or "tone" they would want to be lifting heavier weight with less reps...

Tone is just more muscle mass along with a lower body fat percentage whereas bulking is just more muscle mass...

Both of which needs less reps with heavier weight...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)

Whether they want to "bulk" or "tone" they would want to be lifting heavier weight with less reps...

Tone is just more muscle mass along with a lower body fat percentage whereas bulking is just more muscle mass...

True at end of day I need to add more muscle whether I want to be bulked up or toned.

My main goal is this

My short term goal this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)

First of all, my question was completely reasonable. I was only willing to suggest or advice the OP.

I do not agree with your statement of bulkiness and toning up requiring heavier weight with less reps.

I am not trying to show off but I am ripped/toned up but I did not in anyway lift heavier weights with less reps. I did medium size weights with more reps and I still do.

It might/might have been different for you though. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    First of all, my question was completely reasonable. I was only willing to suggest or advice the OP.

I do not agree with your statement of bulkiness and toning up requiring heavier weight with less reps.

I am not trying to show off but I am ripped/toned up but I did not in anyway lift heavier weights with less reps. I did medium size weights with more reps and I still do.

Let me guess, your a skinny ecto too?

The word 'tone' is as good as racism in this forum, it is not welcome - its is for mens health magazines and ladies fad diet rags.

ReputationRep:

In my case being toned up or getting bulked still requires me to build muscle as I am only 135lbs.

Buildign muscle requires heavy weights+calories....

Once I get muscle I then will cut any fat gains and look toned up....Not bulked up as I dotn want to be huge in terms of muscle or overall look. AS I post pics above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Let me guess, your a skinny ecto too?

The word 'tone' is as good as racism in this forum, it is not welcome - its is for mens health magazines and ladies fad diet rags.
    Ok, what about the word 'athletic' if that's more reasonable. Definitely not 'skinny'

ReputationRep:
    Ok, what about the word 'athletic' if that's more reasonable. Definitely not 'skinny'
    A shot putter is an athelete, so is a weightlifter,so is a marathon runner - its a very ambiguous word.

Post up pics and lets judge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daman)
    In my case being toned up or getting bulked still requires me to build muscle as I am only 135lbs.

Buildign muscle requires heavy weights+calories....

Once I get muscle I then will cut any fat gains and look toned up....Not bulked up as I dotn want to be huge in terms of muscle or overall look. AS I post pics above
    I understand you now. Yes, it would be reasonable in your situation if you do heavy weights with less reps. I didn't realise that you are about to start building up your muscles. I would also advice 'eating eating eating', obviously not junk food though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 13, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.