Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will more reps or heavier weight get faster muscle growth Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Hakz*)
    I understand you now. Yes, it would be reasonable in your situation if you do heavy weights with less reps. I didn't realise that you are about to start building up your muscles. I would also advice 'eating eating eating', obviously not junk food though.
    I know I eat all the time. THats the hardest part.

ANd yeh Im 135 I need at least 10-20lbs pure muscle to even look like I have muscles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    A shot putter is an athelete, so is a weightlifter,so is a marathon runner - its a very ambiguous word.

Post up pics and lets judge?
    Sorry, I need to be more specific. How do you post pictures on here. Quite new to this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    Don't think it was me but it's probably because your question was stupid...

Whether they want to "bulk" or "tone" they would want to be lifting heavier weight with less reps...

Tone is just more muscle mass along with a lower body fat percentage whereas bulking is just more muscle mass...

Both of which needs less reps with heavier weight...
    "it was me but it's probably because your question was stupid..." thats

thats such bullsh*t, do you actually work out? its not a stupid question at all

To tone would be in most peoples opinion be to burn/strip away the fat, this would involve a work out routine that gets your heart banging and a heavy sweat this would be produced by high reps to burn calories and tone.

Bulking would involve a high calorie and/or protien diet combined with heavy lifting possibly no 8 - 10 reps per set with a rest inbetween. With the aim to get a bigger build (after a desired weight/size is achieved, most decide then to strip away the fat left from bullking and 'tone' up).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luke$)

To tone would be in most peoples opinion be to burn/strip away the fat, this would involve a work out routine that gets your heart banging and a heavy sweat this would be produced by high reps to burn calories and tone.

Bulking would involve a high calorie and/or protien diet combined with heavy lifting possibly no 8 - 10 reps per set with a rest inbetween. With the aim to get a bigger build (after a desired weight/size is achieved, most decide then to strip away the fat left from bullking and 'tone' up).
    Most of the regulars in this section have lifting blogs in the sub-forum, so you could have answered your own question

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1510750

Also, for a lot of people, OP included as he has already said above, "Toning" involves increasing muscle mass, so they are more defined, using heavy weights for low reps as MHorman suggested

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luke$)

Thank you!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daman)
    I thought so but say I dotn have weights to use one day.

Could I make up for it by doing lots more volume or stuff like real slow reps or explosive chin ups etc?
    Everybody has weights available.

You must have a backpack somewhere in your house. Take it, fill it up with a suitable amount of weight, and there you go, weighted chin ups.

ReputationRep:
    ok, so how would you yourself define the difference between 'toning' and 'bulking'?

because in my opinion each one would need a different workout, increasing muscle mass, as in mass = size, would to me suggest bulking up?

If i wanted to tone i would do high reps and a lower weight

If i wanted to get more muscle mass and bulk i would do high weight and low reps
    I thought this was common for most?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luke$)
    ok, so how would you yourself define the difference between 'toning' and 'bulking'?

because in my opinion each one would need a different workout, increasing muscle mass, as in mass = size, would to me suggest bulking up?

If i wanted to get more muscle mass and bulk i would do high weight and low reps
    IMO they would require the same lifts at the gym, just different food.

I would go for a SS style program for both, but others might go for WS4SB or 5*5 or 5/3/1. But be on a calorie deficit to "tone" and on a calorie excess to bulk

edit: this is for a novice not someone who has been training for years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monkey_Pete)
    IMO they would require the same lifts at the gym, just different food.

I would go for a SS style program for both, but others might go for WS4SB or 5*5 or 5/3/1. But be on a calorie deficit to "tone" and on a calorie excess to bulk

edit: this is for a novice not someone who has been training for years
    I'm just starting to get into the gym so this is really interesting, I've been following the general rule that more reps=tone and less=bulk, is this a fallacy? Being vein for a bit to get the Ryan Reynolds style body what would you want to be doing, I currently do 3 sets of 12reps doing 2 muscle groups per workout with 3 exercises for each group, is that any good?! Also should your muscles be really sore after every workout because that's happening less and less, should I "surprise" my body more?

ReputationRep:
    This is very obvious, high reps is bull****, u should try and get a really strong base, so get to a point where u can bench 40 kg dumbells, shoulder press 30 kg dumbells, deadlift and squat 150kg and you should if u include a good diet in pretty awesome shape. Low reps are a waste of time, just make sure every workout u do is taxing so aim for a rep range such as 8-10 and makes sure by the 8th rep u r knackered and struggling to do the last two. I see too many guys looking like theyre having a nice easy relaxing workout when it should be hard and taxing. Also vary ur rep range but to start lift heavy to build allot of strength that way, it may take time, u will get bigger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goose1990)
    I'm just starting to get into the gym so this is really interesting, I've been following the general rule that more reps=tone and less=bulk, is this a fallacy? Being vein for a bit to get the Ryan Reynolds style body what would you want to be doing, I currently do 3 sets of 12reps doing 2 muscle groups per workout with 3 exercises for each group, is that any good?! Also should your muscles be really sore after every workout because that's happening less and less, should I "surprise" my body more?
    The idea of "toning" is just lower body fat with larger muscles and Bulking is larger muscles with similar/higher BF normally. Normal the two phrases used around here are Bulking and Cutting (reducing BF while maintaining muscle mass).

best bet is read some of the better threads here, especially powerlifters ones.

I have only been lifting for 3-4 months, but have done a fair bit of research in that time. Read around

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daman)
    I know I eat all the time. THats the hardest part.

ANd yeh Im 135 I need at least 10-20lbs pure muscle to even look like I have muscles.
    You dont eat **** I'm afriad.

You need to drink more milk, eat more protein and carbs plus heavy compounds (for you) and progress from there.

Start with 1.5 pints or more a day of milk to get going and take what you eat now, double it and then possibly double it again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luke$)

That's exactly what I said. That is what my routine is about and It worked for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daman)
    One full body workout per week?

I will check it out. I have read and tried so much...HIT, HST, Volume, Rippeltoads etc..lol

Anyway. I am extreme ecto I was 5'10 115lbs at 18. Now Im like 135 and ripped.

Id liek to be 145 at least. Ideally 150-160 I think?

However, I know diet is very important and eating enough calories....And that is my main problem...Training is fun, eating all the time aint. Its like another job.
    You should watch this video about nutrition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOt9jJPTosg

As for the exercise it is extremely intense short bursts to the point where your muscles are completely exhausted. If your muscles feel like they're burning then you're hitting an anabolic state, which is a process where your muscles are triggered to grow. The idea behind only doing it once a week is that it takes time for your body to synthesise protein and repair muscle tissue. If you interrupt that then you'll go back to square one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.