Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superhans121)
    Do you know why we are having cuts? Because our budget deficity is currently more than £100,000,000,000. That means our government has been spending £100 BILLION more each year than it is getting in tax revenue. That means we are borrowing an extra £100 bn each year, just to break even.
    Do you think that is sustainable?
    Don't get me wrong here my friend, I completely agree with the cuts in the sectors. I know that in the long run, our economy will improve and benefit from this process. The only reason why the public don't agree with it is because it was sudden and they are feeling the short term effect. If the government didn't, then we could see ourselves in the same positions as the PIGS and we could head towards a double dip recession.

Another thing that the public find annoying is the act of spending millions, if not billions during the war. Poeple are arguing that we are suffering from a recession and the government have the audacity to spend such amounts on foreign affairs that don't even concern them. Again, I completely agree with the invasion of Iraq aswell as Libya. The public don't agree with both.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from

ReputationRep:
    We haven't invaded Lybia, we are policing a UN mandated no-fly zone along with the international community, in order to stop a dictator from slaughtering his own people. £30 million a week, in goverment terms, is peanuts
    You're right. I should have been more specific that it's Iraq. But £30 million everyday is still a substantial amount when considering how long the UK will interfere. We know that the currently conflict certainly doesn't look like it's going to end soon. So the more it continues the more money is spent.

Again, there are still UK troops in Iraq as of today (correct me if i'm wrong please). It is costing a lot of more to maintain these troops and it's been 8 years now. So billions are definitely being spent on all these.

I am not saying that all these things are bad because I completely support it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Hakz*)
    Don't get me wrong here my friend, I completely agree with the cuts in the sectors. I know that in the long run, our economy will improve and benefit from this process. The only reason why the public don't agree with it is because it was sudden and they are feeling the short term effect. If the government didn't, then we could see ourselves in the same positions as the PIGS and we could head towards a double dip recession.

Another thing that the public find annoying is the act of spending millions, if not billions during the war. Poeple are arguing that we are suffering from a recession and the government have the audacity to spend such amounts on foreign affairs that don't even concern them. Again, I completely agree with the invasion of Iraq aswell as Libya. The public don't agree with both.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from

No, not really. None of what you've written makes much sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boucy)
    well the problem is that he assume fiscal cut is a magical solution! and does not seek alternatives, which is not the right way to do things . IMO if you want to cutting of funds does not solve the root issue.

Like for example if he wants to cut government funding , find new source like medical tourism which is viable
    The private sector is the one that will come up with new and innovative ways to make money, governments consistently choose worse than the private sector, if you think medical tourism is viable and can make money then be entrepeneurial and set it up (assuming you're a student I imagine that'd be tough but you get my point!).

There is a direct relationship that can be postponed with borrowing but ultimately the more the government spends the less the private sector and consumers can.

ReputationRep:
    No, not really. None of what you've written makes much sense.
    Would you like to correct any then? or do have anything better to say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mouldywart)
    Although people do willingly join the army, it does not change the amount of money being spent on war. I hate Tony Blair for taking us to war. The cost must be unimaginable by now. I understand the cost of the Libya campaign is £30m a week. That is amazingly high! Wasted money imo.

Perhaps I would be happier about the cuts if I was convinced they were actually helping. Unemployment and inflation are far too high for the Tories to claim victory with their cuts. This is harsh medicine and I want to see considerable improvement from it. Instead we have concerns about re-entering recession.

What do you think?
    The cuts are not going to magically help things in the short term, they're about long term sustainability. The fact we still pay a VERY low rate (similar to Germany!) on our borrowing is the most obvious short term gain of having a solid fiscal plan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Hakz*)
    You're right. I should have been more specific that it's Iraq. But £30 million everyday is still a substantial amount when considering how long the UK will interfere. We know that the currently conflict certainly doesn't look like it's going to end soon. So the more it continues the more money is spent.

Again, there are still UK troops in Iraq as of today (correct me if i'm wrong please). It is costing a lot of more to maintain these troops and it's been 8 years now. So billions are definitely being spent on all these.

I am not saying that all these things are bad because I completely support it.
    I guess it depends on what you mean 'troops'. There deffonately isn't any battle groups in Iraq, however there might be some military advisers within Iraq. I'm not so sure.

ReputationRep:
    Best PM?

Obviously...NOT!

ReputationRep:
    What? He's a **** trying to re-inflate a bubble and wreck the welfare state. **** him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Great_One)
    So giving people the right to buy their council house isnt a good thing??
    How can you go from saying that debt is terrible to eulogising the mass expansion of mortgage debt, and not feel like a total muppet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tulley11)
    I guess it depends on what you mean 'troops'. There deffonately isn't any battle groups in Iraq, however there might be some military advisers within Iraq. I'm not so sure.
    Yeah it might be that. I was originally referring to the British Army but I think they left Iraq a year ago or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acerbic)
    How can you go from saying that debt is terrible to eulogising the mass expansion of mortgage debt, and not feel like a total muppet?
    What happens if you don;t have a mortgage?

ReputationRep:
    The day thatcher dies, will be a very happy day.

She's a ****ing ****, and helped cover up South Yorkshire Polices negligence and ineptness which were the key causes of the Hillsborough Disaster.

Not to mention helping cement the 'hooligan' stereotype of football supporters.

**** her.

ReputationRep:
    All I can say is...

My hard-working father, from a struggling family, who worked his ass off in school and got into med school, reading his ass off (even rejecting dates with my mother just to read) and then becoming a well-respected gynaecologist, working long hours and hefty night shifts, resulting in high blood pressure, is now getting his pay cut by £16,000. How ****ing unfair.

Don't care if I sound biased, never liked the conservatives anyway. Even if the cuts are for financial debts of the country, they are to blame for their outlandish spending etc. This is just one of the many idiotic decisions made by Cameron. Closing down libraries and swimming pools where children have fun and youth clubs so yobs can fill our streets again? WTF? David Cameron is an *******, and Margaret Thatcher is a racist *****.

Conservatives are ****ing up this country. I prefer Brown and Blair over Thatcher and Cameron anyday.

ReputationRep:
    I love the way people **** Cameron off without any good reason at all.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by FutureMedicalDoctor)
    All I can say is...

My hard-working father, from a struggling family, who worked his ass off in school and got into med school, reading his ass off (even rejecting dates with my mother just to read) and then becoming a well-respected gynaecologist, working long hours and hefty night shifts, resulting in high blood pressure, is now getting his pay cut by £16,000. How ****ing unfair.

Don't care if I sound biased, never liked the conservatives anyway. Even if the cuts are for financial debts of the country, they are to blame for their outlandish spending etc. This is just one of the many idiotic decisions made by Cameron. Closing down libraries and swimming pools where children have fun and youth clubs so yobs can fill our streets again? WTF? David Cameron is an *******, and Margaret Thatcher is a racist *****.

Conservatives are ****ing up this country. I prefer Brown and Blair over Thatcher and Cameron anyday.
    Blair would likely never have come to power were it not for Thatcher, considering he was a moderate and helped turn Labour from its polices of nationlisation. As well as that Blair hardly reversed any of Thatchers economic policies did he?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureMedicalDoctor)
    All I can say is...

Couldn't agree more with all these. Labour party would not be oppressing the public this way.

Maximum respect for your dad though, sounds like a fantastic individual. Wish him all the best!!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think thatcher was good overall - but the things she was good at, cameron is bad at... like saying what you mean and making sure what you said was going to happen does happen.

he seems pretty inept IMO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Great_One)
    I know alot of people won't agree with me on this because at the moment times are tough and people can't go out an waste their money on pointless luxuries anymore. But in reality Cameron is the best PM since Thatcher and we need him to run this country its the only legible option. People have selective memories and don;t like it when they can;t get their own way, which is why most people are in debt in this country because they think money grows on trees.
    I agree, he is the best since thatcher.
    He has made one or two foolish errors but this is understandable as he is still pretty new in the job.

His direction can be a little erratic, but this is because he has to appease the lib dems in the coalition.
    When the conservatives win a landslide in the next election, expect to see the best prime minister since churchill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawbot)
    When the conservatives win a landslide in the next election, expect to see the best prime minister since churchill.
    Don't get your hopes up. I'll be amazed if they do better than what they did last year.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.