Who is the greatest ever

michael jackson

the beatles

r kelly

ReputationRep:
    :confused: Um. Not R-Kelly...

Personally I'd say none of them

ReputationRep:
    They are all rubbish compared to Phillip Glass, Susumu Hirasawa and Martin O'Donnell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EggmanD)
    They are all rubbish compared to Phillip Glass, Susumu Hirasawa and Martin O'Donnell.
    Philip Glass? Seriously? I didn't know anyone still likes minimalist music. Him and Steve Reich just annoy me.

ReputationRep:
    Kanye West. The voice of this generation.

ReputationRep:
    Why are we comparing three totally dfferent artists? I'm affraid I don't listen to much of any of them but I can conclude that R Kelly should not even be condisered in top 500. I prefer the Beatles of MJ but like The Smiths even more

ReputationRep:
    Well they are all very different, and narrowing it down to just 3 choices doesn't allow much room for debate.
    Are we voting based on musical influence? Their contribution to musical evolution? Or on how popular they were?
    But then, what is there to say that popularity proves something is great?

Schoenburg hated the idea of writing music for the people he sourly referred to as "the masses": "If it is art," he said, "it is not for all, and if it is for all, it is not art." (I like this quote)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 69Crazyfists)
    Philip Glass? Seriously? I didn't know anyone still likes minimalist music. Him and Steve Reich just annoy me.
    Glass is a badman. If we are talking 'greatest musicians ever' we cant talk about pop music can we lol.. I dont rate a lot of his proper minimal works but his experimental ensemble pieces and his film scores are nothing short of superb.

I personally prefer the other two i mentioned but throwing Glass in their always attracts someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janesh0000)
    No he's not thats just stupid. The voice of a generation usually speaks for their generation he just acts like a knob head and wears oversized jewellery.

ReputationRep:
    Jimi Hendrix, Jack White, Pete Doherty ya di ya di ya...

In my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janesh0000)
    I agree with this.

Empty headed, arrogant, stupid, shallow, following trends like sheep and wearing stupid clothes that make you look like a complete *******.. that is what this generation is all about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EggmanD)
    Glass is a badman. If we are talking 'greatest musicians ever' we cant talk about pop music can we lol.. I dont rate a lot of his proper minimal works but his experimental ensemble pieces and his film scores are nothing short of superb.

I personally prefer the other two i mentioned but throwing Glass in their always attracts someone.
    Yeh I agree it's not going to be a pop star, but I don't think it's Glass either. Over the years there have been so many great musicians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 69Crazyfists)
    Having looked at the first post, I was literally just about to write "Phillip Glass? Seriously?" And then I scrolled down....

High five!

ReputationRep:
    BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN!
    Categorically
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My votes would go to
    Mark Knopfler (very good lyricist and composer and of course one of the finest guitarists too. Started of as the frontman of a rock band in the 80s, currently writing folk and blues songs!)
    Peter Gabriel
    Elvis (not a massive fan myself but can't deny that he revolutionised music forever)
    Mozart (Really don't know how he's not been mentioned yet!)
    J.S. Bach (prefer his work to that of mozart personally)
    Multiple other classical composers and performers.

ReputationRep:
    Lennon/McCartney
    Richards/Jagger
    Gallagher
    Morrissey/Marr

All good stuff

ReputationRep:
    Ermmm............... R Kelly, Really? Plus there's no such thing as greatest musicians.

ReputationRep:
    Also with regards to Kanye being the voice to a generation, voices to generations (Beatles, Pistols, Oasis, Joy Division/Smiths) usually have a message or stand for a particular moment in time.

Kanye West just acts like a knob and autotunes every song.

ReputationRep:
    Rolling Stones > Beatles

ReputationRep:
    this is pathetic

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.