Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Brain Tumour/Stroke? watch

Hi all,

I'm really really concerned about my Mum. Last night she was sitting reading in her armchair and suddenly started making these weird noises, a bit like "hm." "hm." and glancing over at the wall every time she did. She had this weird, vacant smile and when Dad asked her "what are you saying?" she kept repeating "I don't know what I'm saying..." whilst occasionally making the "hm" noise. It scared us both to death, this lasted about 5 minutes and we just couldn't get through to her. If anything she was more responsive to me than to my Dad, I got her to look at him and I tried to see whether she was responsive by saying "give me the magazine". She didn't give it to me, I just took it in the end but she did sort of notice

Also, my Dad came upstairs later and told me that this has happened before. A few weeks back apparently she did the same thing but just making weird noises and he couldn't get through to her. She says now she remembers nothing, and she's totally back to normal again. I'm hoping my Dad will be able to persuade her to go to the doctors, because this could be something really serious..

Has anyone ever heard of these symptoms before? Sorry for the essay!

If it's got better, it's not a stroke. It's definitely worth paying attention to though, could be a TIA ("mini-stroke") or a form of epilepsy. Get her to see a doctor.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.