Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For part (b)

Increasing the resistance of the rheostat would increase the PD across it and decrease the PD across the internal resistance.

Hence, the Voltmeter across PQ will tend to a value that is closer to the actual EMF of the battery.

Would this be an acceptable answer ?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    The current in the starter motor, when first switched on, is 160 Amps.

Explain why the headlights appear dimmer when the S is closed.

Sidelight rating : 6W, 12V

Headlight rating: 48 W, 12V

Why would the headlights become dimmer ?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    BUMP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ari Ben Canaan)
    For part (b)

Increasing the resistance of the rheostat would increase the PD across it and decrease the PD across the internal resistance.

Hence, the Voltmeter across PQ will tend to a value that is closer to the actual EMF of the battery.

Would this be an acceptable answer ?
    I'd say yes, it's correct Only you could mention that increasing external resistance will make current decrease, hence the pd across internal resistance decreases.

ReputationRep:
    The current in the starter motor, when first switched on, is 160 Amps.

Explain why the headlights appear dimmer when the S is closed.

Sidelight rating : 6W, 12V

Headlight rating: 48 W, 12V

Why would the headlights become dimmer ?
    When you have closed S, part of the current that previously went through headlights now goes through the motor M. Power dissipated in the headlights is proportional to the square of current going through them, therefore they become dimmer when the current decreases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaroc)
    When you have closed S, part of the current that previously went through headlights now goes through the motor M. Power dissipated in the headlights is proportional to the square of current going through them, therefore they become dimmer when the current decreases.
    But I thought the point of connecting components in parallel was to ensure each one received the voltage and current it required/was rated for.

ReputationRep:
    But I thought the point of connecting components in parallel was to ensure each one received the voltage and current it required/was rated for.
    You would have to do numerical calculations to check whether the lights are working at nominal ratings.

I did not refer to this at all. I just said that if you add resistance in parallel, smaller current will go through elements that already are in the circuit.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 13, 2011

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.