Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pleasehelpme...)
    how would i use PEE for exam questions?? thx
    well u would make a point about what the writer is making
    give evidence to support your point
    then explain it : what the effect is or why the writer is using that point

quite simple once you get the hang of it plus it will help you get higher marks

ReputationRep:
    Just apply that framework. If the question is something like 'Discuss how the author creates a feeling of unrest', then find examples of that, in context, language used, character profiles and use the explain part of PEE to explore the significance and effects created. If the question is more like 'How are character relationships explored', find quotes of speech, description of body language, or any opinions expressed, etc to be able to talk about how they talk about each other.

English GCSE can tackled with blagging and bull****, should all else fail. As long as you can reasonably back it up, you can make any point you want, within reason.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I think you may be a troll. People may say I'm too quick on calling this, but you seem trollish.

If you are not of Troll breed, then I wouldn't worry about trying to get a better grade in English, it looks like you wont be getting a C anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Following the 'Jane' example, it would be something like:
    The extract shows that Jane has got long hair. This is shown when the author/writer/whoever explains "Jane wrapped her extensive hair into a bun to keep it out of the way". The word 'extensive' gives the impression of great length, which is further implied by her ability to form a bun from it, which requires a substantial amount of hair to begin with.

A little like that

ReputationRep:
    People have told you everything, there isn't much more I can add but I'll give you an example if it would help:

Enjambment is also used to great effect in “Island Man”, particularly before the line “he always comes back” to emphasise the phrase which is demonstrative of the Island Man’s powerlessness in his situation – it is inevitable he will remain in London

Or
    On the other hand, the Island Man is peaceful and more resigned to his situation. This is especially shown in “steady breaking and wombing” where the created word “wombing” creates a sense of warmth and security like that felt by a foetus, showing how the Island Man is returning back to the place of his birth in his dreams. It also conveys his steady slow contented breathing while he sleeps, showing how happy dreaming of his island makes him. More literally, it symbolises the ebb and flow of the tide as it breaks on the rocks and re-forms.

PointEvidenceExploration

Generally, you want your point to be very brief: a general summation of what you will proceed to say. Then a relevant quote. Then explore the impact and effect, with more close language analysis (so more evidence) to build upon this.

Understand?

ReputationRep:
    i found this somewhere n it really helped + some of the users points in the thread

point ~ the writer shows/does/writes about...'

evidence ~ quote/word/part of a quote 'for example.../for instance'

explain ~ 'here this creates the impression this emphases/this shows (effect on reader then effect on you - opinion)

i may have structured it wrong to make it look unclear, but it's really helped me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 14, 2011

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.