Turn on thread page Beta

Do people who support grammars assume they will get in? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Reading some of the threads on grammar schools, its pretty clear most people who support grammars assume they will get into a grammar school i.e. pass the 11+.

What they don't think about is what would happen if they didn't. They would go to a secondary modern or its equalivalent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Reading some of the threads on grammar schools, its pretty clear most people who support grammars assume they will get into a grammar school i.e. pass the 11+.

What they don't think about is what would happen if they didn't. They would go to a secondary modern or its equalivalent.
    I think support for grammar schools is contextual. In an ideal world, (or rather a perfect meritocracy) there would be no private education. In such a world, there would be no need for grammar schools and their existence contrary to the spirit of meritocracy.

However, given that we do live in a country with private education, grammar schools can provide a standard of education equivalent to that delivered at private institutions, but available to those who could not afford private education. To take away grammar schools would be to take away opportunities for kids for working and lower middle class background to attend the top Universities.

I will, however, concede that in practice the majority of students at grammar schools were privately educated at primary level (if not a majority, then certainly a disproportionately high level) and were tutored in how to pass the 11+. For these kids (who are necessarily taking the place of naturally brighter but less wealthy children) grammar school effectively becomes a free form of private education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)

Supporting one part of the old system doesn't mean support for all parts.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.