Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have recently decided to apply for a degree in Psychology through UCAS Extra, as I am not satisfied with the answers I received for my initial choice (got 3 rejections ). I contacted the university I am planning to apply to and they said the are willing to accept a new PS. However, even though the field of Psychology has always appealed to me and I have read a number of books related to the subject (but no textbooks), I don't know much about the theoretical part of Psychology (like theories and such). If I don't present in-depth knowledge of this aspect in my PS, would this put me at a disadvantage compared to other other applicants who emphasize on theory in their PSs? Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    No you will be fine.

The thing is, many psych degree students only started at A Level and built their skills from there. Now, the first year of a psych degree is basically doing most things done at A level, building skills etc...

So you will be fine, don't worry !
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    You don't need to show in-depth knowledge of that sort of thing, but it's important to talk about psychology areas/theories/concepts to show your interest. The books don't have to be text books, but avoid (if you can) from mentioning 'pop' psychology stuff, like Derren Brown, or 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat'

ReputationRep:
    Thank for the info much appreciated
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by xKTx)
    You don't need to show in-depth knowledge of that sort of thing, but it's important to talk about psychology areas/theories/concepts to show your interest. The books don't have to be text books, but avoid (if you can) from mentioning 'pop' psychology stuff, like Derren Brown, or 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat'
    'Pop' psychology and science are not as badly regarded as you think. Derren Brown is a bit off as it doesn't really apply. But 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat' and Sachs' other books are actually really good to read as they're full of case studies!

It is also worth mentioning that it looks good if you read books on the uni reading list. But only read them id you don't want to. Not just because you want to look good. Aso try and avoid books about Psychodynamic Psychology eg. Freud.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by lozzyhickers)
    'Pop' psychology and science are not as badly regarded as you think. Derren Brown is a bit off as it doesn't really apply. But 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat' and Sachs' other books are actually really good to read as they're full of case studies!

It is also worth mentioning that it looks good if you read books on the uni reading list. But only read them id you don't want to. Not just because you want to look good. Aso try and avoid books about Psychodynamic Psychology eg. Freud.
    TMWMHWFAH is ok if you've got nothing else to mention, but as a ps helper I know it gets incredibly boring to read PSs mentioning the same books over and over... It's better than nothing, but something more unique is far better!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by xKTx)
    TMWMHWFAH is ok if you've got nothing else to mention, but as a ps helper I know it gets incredibly boring to read PSs mentioning the same books over and over... It's better than nothing, but something more unique is far better!
    Of course, it's naive to think that that's what Psych at uni is all about. I combined it with some other text books, such as 'Biopsychology', and 'Cognitive Psychology: A Student's Handbook', and the PS readers seemed very impressed.

ReputationRep:
    OP, I would take receiving rejections as an opportunity to study a better subject at degree level. Seriously. Do bio or maths or somethng.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    OP, I would take receiving rejections as an opportunity to study a better subject at degree level. Seriously. Do bio or maths or somethng.
    Yeh apart from they are completely different degrees...

ReputationRep:
    I got five offers and I didn't really do much reading of Psychology-related books but I watched documentaries and wrote about one of them on my PS, so reading around isn't necessary as long as you can show your interest outside academics.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.