Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 13 and re sitting my AS Spanish and have my A2 speaking in a few weeks. It's EDEXCEL. I got a B overall last year, disappointed.

I keep missing out on an A on my AS speaking by a few marks. I'm doing the World Around Us. Does anyone have any tips or know exactly what the examiner is looking for? I learnt my answers welll and thought i did really well but still got a B.

For A2 I'm doing Nuclear Enegry and my Sub topics are the general environment then Public Transport. Same again, does anyone have any tips or know what the examiner is looking for?

Also, do you get marked down if your answers sound rehearsed for AS and A2? How could you avoid this then? And in both would you get marked down if you answered the question then started talking too much in general? For example they ask "Why are we using so much energy" and you answer the question then start saying things about how we can use less energy?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know anything about edexcel but i know that in AQA you certainly don't get to rehearse your answers! That's outrageous!

I got an A in my speaking last year and feel that i'm pretty good at it.. Basically the main thing is to use loads of "key phrases" that examiners are looking for.. Subjunctive triggers are always favourites.

There's a discussion section in AQA where you have to "defend" a contraversial opinion on something like the death penalty or renewable energy, and it's important to know phrases that you can use instead of "yes, but" or "i think that".

Do you have the book "Palabra por palabra"? Because me and the others in my class use it all the time and it's great for getting those little filler-words that examiners like.

ReputationRep:
    I almost forgot i had that book. Thanks, it has very useful vocabulary when debating and will come in use in the writing exam. Has anyone got any other tips for the speaking, A2 and AS?

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to do my AS Level AQA though...speaking, 4th May! ahh!

Main advice is (from my teacher) if you are learning answers, learn them..then in a way unlearn them, think in English you would have pauses, you wouldn't just real off an answer. It is better if you, i know this sounds silly, but enjoy it! It should just be like a normal conversation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Explodeation)
    Don't know anything about edexcel but i know that in AQA you certainly don't get to rehearse your answers! That's outrageous!

I got an A in my speaking last year and feel that i'm pretty good at it.. Basically the main thing is to use loads of "key phrases" that examiners are looking for.. Subjunctive triggers are always favourites.

There's a discussion section in AQA where you have to "defend" a contraversial opinion on something like the death penalty or renewable energy, and it's important to know phrases that you can use instead of "yes, but" or "i think that".

Do you have the book "Palabra por palabra"? Because me and the others in my class use it all the time and it's great for getting those little filler-words that examiners like.
    Hey, just the person I'm looking for- I'm revising for my A2 orals (AQA) but have NO idea where to start with the discussion section.

I don't feel the textbook gives any good advice, my teacher has set out some for and against arguments for each one but , as i'm sure you know, it's not as easy as learning the points, I find when you are having the debate in real life it's more than that.

Have you done your A2 orals or are you doing them this year? Which ever one- do you have any good tips for revising them? Perhaps any books, anything you know they are particularly looking for? also in the 20mins you have to prepare what is the best thing to do?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Another question, how many questions is typical to be asked on the topic i've chosen to debate about? If i talk too long on one question will this sound rehearsed and would i be better off preparing for more questions to make the exam sound more spontaneous? So talk slightly less on each question and allow more questions to be asked? Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anya23)
    Hey, just the person I'm looking for- I'm revising for my A2 orals (AQA) but have NO idea where to start with the discussion section.

I don't feel the textbook gives any good advice, my teacher has set out some for and against arguments for each one but , as i'm sure you know, it's not as easy as learning the points, I find when you are having the debate in real life it's more than that.

Have you done your A2 orals or are you doing them this year? Which ever one- do you have any good tips for revising them? Perhaps any books, anything you know they are particularly looking for? also in the 20mins you have to prepare what is the best thing to do?

Cheers
    Ok.. Yeah, I'm doing mine this year (in about 2 weeks, in fact :\..) Uh.. Not entirely sure how to help you with the learning part.. There's really nothing to learn for the oral except phrases and maybe a few paragraphs for the 2nd part if you get stuck.

The debate, however, is all left to the 20 mins to prepare. What I do which i've found really useful is lay out my paper like this:

Useful phrases (spend like 3 mins listing them all.. you should know 10-15)

Bullet pointed notes on the side you've chosen to argue for (spending like 12 mins)

then at the end i do some little memory-joggers for the second and third part of the oral.. We're doing films by almodóvar and a play by Lorca and i just write bullet pointed answers to questions i know will come up, such as "What do you think of the director you've studied?" or something like that. (i'd spend the last 5 mins doing this.. But if you need more time on the discussion part then just spend less time on this part)

As far as i know you can find some of the old discussion cards on the internet, they're pretty useful if you want to get a feel of what you're doing as well as planing the time-management etc..

Well, hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    For EDXCEL im not sure if you necessairly get marked down for sounding rehearsed, but it this way you wont be looked upon favourably.

The best way to get arroud sounding rehearsed and to sound more like a native is to start every sentence with an elongated word like "puessssssss" or "buennnnno" . Then with every argument you make stick a "no?" at the end

ReputationRep:
    then at the end i do some little memory-joggers for the second and third part of the oral.. We're doing films by almodóvar and a play by Lorca and i just write bullet pointed answers to questions i know will come up, such as "What do you think of the director you've studied?" or something like that. (i'd spend the last 5 mins doing this..)

Well, hope this helps!
    Do you do this even though the notes are taken away from us at the end of the debate section? Is that allowed?

ReputationRep:
    Don't think it is

ReputationRep:
    Ok.. Yeah, I'm doing mine this year (in about 2 weeks, in fact :\..) Uh.. Not entirely sure how to help you with the learning part.. There's really nothing to learn for the oral except phrases and maybe a few paragraphs for the 2nd part if you get stuck.

The debate, however, is all left to the 20 mins to prepare. What I do which i've found really useful is lay out my paper like this:

Useful phrases (spend like 3 mins listing them all.. you should know 10-15)

Bullet pointed notes on the side you've chosen to argue for (spending like 12 mins)

then at the end i do some little memory-joggers for the second and third part of the oral.. We're doing films by almodóvar and a play by Lorca and i just write bullet pointed answers to questions i know will come up, such as "What do you think of the director you've studied?" or something like that. (i'd spend the last 5 mins doing this.. But if you need more time on the discussion part then just spend less time on this part)

As far as i know you can find some of the old discussion cards on the internet, they're pretty useful if you want to get a feel of what you're doing as well as planing the time-management etc..

Well, hope this helps!
    Thanks for the advice
    one other question
    when you speak about useful phrases, where have you found these?

do you mean things such as the expresiones claves section in the textbook where they give you phrases to do with the area
    or in general phrases which include complex language you could learn as a set phrase

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 29, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.