The Student Room Group

Now I realise how sacred the NHS is to us

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by EggmanD
You favour a healthcare system that is happy to let you die where you lie if you dont have the right paperwork, where investigators are hired to screw you out of healthcare and where you have to pay $60 just to see a doctor over the NHS?

Really...?

Oh look, a none-too-clever Brit misrepresenting the US healthcare system and attempting to use that as an attack on all forms of non-state monopoly healthcare. How very rare and interesting. :rolleyes:
Reply 21
The US healthcare system (the one that every uberTory w*nks off thinking about) costs more for the US government to run than the UK costs to run. About £2000 more per patient, without taking into account the US's limited state healthcare. The NHS is much more efficient from a spending point of view.

So. More cost efficient and universal.

Cameron looks like a dolt over this bill.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Lassilsa
No it's not free you goons; my parents are robbed to pay for it.

Damn, can't rate any more posts today.

My parents are robbed too :angry: And yet I can't get braces on the NHS because it would be "purely for cosmetic reasons" because it isn't usually...? Wonder how many people a year get their teeth fixed on my parents' taxes...
I like the Na-huss, it is a good use to us
Reply 24
Original post by Lassilsa
The NHS is the worst healthcare system in the western world. Our cancer survival rates are abysmal compared to the US.

But we outrank them in nearly every other measure of overall health (life expectancy etc). And there are reasons behind those figures that make them less awful than they seem at first glance.
Reply 25
I was under the impression that the in the US they have a different way of judging survival rates?
Reply 26
I completely agree.

I've had so many accidents biking, and the NHS has always been fantastic when it comes to my visits. I've been seen to quickly, the standard has been excellent and I've always recovered very well, with regular check-ups being on time, very fluid in terms of times and dates; Yeah, I think its a fantastic service.

I'm happy to pay taxes towards it; its saved my life twice, helped me after every bad accident and its been fantastic to know that its always there for me to use.

Yeah, the NHS is sacred. I'll always defend it and I hope it stays strong.

(Awaits -rep train).
Reply 27
The problem I have with a lot of NHS supporters and employees in particular is how they don't seem to be aware of the system. That's pretty much consistent throughout the public sector though in general. People just don't realise that it is the private sector which supports the public. ie: The private sector creates money and wealth which generates taxes which supports the NHS and other public services. Now, to all those people who work in NHS and think they should be exempt from the spending cuts, shouldn't you ask yourself why they are necessary? The private sector is struggling. Yet have you ever contributed to the private sector and have you ever had to generate any money yourself, or have you just lived a protected life away from it? If that's the case then you need to step into the real world and see it from both perspectives in order to really be able to judge.
Reply 28
Original post by L i b
Oh look, a none-too-clever Brit misrepresenting the US healthcare system and attempting to use that as an attack on all forms of non-state monopoly healthcare. How very rare and interesting. :rolleyes:

Regardless of the vulnerable and poor having a decent access and emergency services being free (contradicting my facetious point earlier) Some of my family friends out there have had operations (one of which was a bone marrow transplant costing just short of $200,000 as i vividly remember trying to raise some money for them) where they have had to make drastic life changes as well as taking out loans. Every operation i have had on the NHS (3, two on my leg one on my elbow) have been covered, now these are nowhere near as serious as a bone marrow transplant but they were still 'free'. I happily pay taxes knowing that everyone is entitled to the same healthcare and i see no reason why people should be treated differently in this respect.

A state monopoly healthcare system also increases the demand for counterfeit medicines and fuels the demand for cheap/bogus operations and procedures (a recent example being India offering cut price operations and 'medical tourism') so it gets another middle finger from me.

Justify it however you want if it makes you feel better, bring out some state supported facts if you like and try and shut me up with some solid studies but at the end of the day it is trivialising human life based solely on money is ****ing disgraceful.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by GwrxVurfer

Also, if you come into an emergency room in America with life-threatening illnesses, they will treat you, regardless of whether you have contributed to the system. They don't "sit there and let you die".

The wont let you die, but at the end of your treatment your expected to pay out for all the treatment you received. Such as a foreigner who visit the US and gets hit by a car, at the end of the treatment if their alive their expected to pay. Even if you cant afford to pay

In the UK regardless of whether or not you pay via taxes and so on if your a foreigner and you get hit by a car, you get treated and then discharged. No payment required.

But thats another issue, because people start abusing the free healthcare, and thats another headache
NHS is a great British service but it can get BETTER
Reply 31
Original post by ritchie888
NHS FTW.

Abbreviations FTW :biggrin:
Reply 32
The NHS isn't without its problems but it is far better than the alternatives, especially the alternative offered by the coalition which is so incredibly bad I only hope we get them out before they irreversably **** things up. There was a report done on the NHS which found that patient satisfaction levels were the highest they had ever been but its release was supressed by the current government so they could rush through their reforms. It should ring alarm bells when you're actively trying to hide good news...
Reply 33
"It has been said that the NHS is the worst form of healthcare except all the others that have been tried."
Not Sir Winston Churchill
British politician (1874 - 1965)
Reply 34
London Ambulance Service are currently cutting about 10% of front line jobs. They are one of the busiest ambulance services in the world and I believe the amount of calls they receive increases around 5% every year, add to that the high risk of a terrorist attack/major incident in London and you have yourself a recipe for disaster.
Original post by Hey TSR
What a big a crown-jewel the NHS is to the British people.

The NHS, untouchable. :smile:

Oh please, European countries have better healthcare than here. Cuba has better healthcare... the NHS is a public disgrace at the moment (in comparison to other countries), it can be turned around but it involves sacking those incompetent executives who can't seem to manage a hospital and those that can, get fed up and go into a private healthcare field.
Reply 36
Original post by tehFrance
Oh please, European countries have better healthcare than here. Cuba has better healthcare... the NHS is a public disgrace at the moment (in comparison to other countries), it can be turned around but it involves sacking those incompetent executives who can't seem to manage a hospital and those that can, get fed up and go into a private healthcare field.

Look, I'm looking at it from a layman's point of view; let's not get into the logistics of the argument as that is not this thread is intended for.

But anyway, the bottom line the majority of people will always favour a service that is free at the point of service, that requires you contribute through taxation for it to run as opposed to some insurance system, whereby you have to take out a yearly premium to receive healthcare. With such a system, many people simply will not be abe to receive any healthcare, let alone the supposed poor quality the NHS provides.
(edited 13 years ago)
It's not perfect, but I'm pleased we have the NHS and wouldn't want to live without it.
Reply 38

I agree really, the NHS is nice but nothing compared to several of the continental systems.

We're still only 18th in the whole world though, that's pretty good. Have you ever been to a foreign hospital? The NHS is so much better than some I have seen. And according to the last WHO report, Cuba was only at number 39.

I agree that it's not perfect. But it's certainly much better than nothing
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending