Turn on thread page Beta

computer networking final year project ideas watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am struggling coming up with ideas for a final year project in networking.

My programming is ok but not amazing, I am learning iPhone programming over the summer along with OSX programming and I can do bits of c#

I have been studying CISCO ccna for the last year.

As a whole tho, I dont think I have learnt a great deal. Sure i can do custom subnet masks now and explain how tcp works but it is nothing that would help me in the real world lol.

personally i would like to do something that i could build upon when i finish uni. I know projects like twitter were first thought of in university and something similar to do with networking would be great.

the only idea i had was to make a peer to peer network storage system but my lecture told me no, because networking administrators don't like peer to peer networks. Shes a dragon, living in medieval times when nothing but client-server models are used.

I dont really want to make a network for a client ( thats what most people are doing ) because I will just get bored, set up a few routers, install AD and do a wee bit of cabling. Just doesn't seem to be the way for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewho1990)
    I am struggling coming up with ideas for a final year project in networking.

My programming is ok but not amazing, I am learning iPhone programming over the summer along with OSX programming and I can do bits of c#

I have been studying CISCO ccna for the last year.

As a whole tho, I dont think I have learnt a great deal. Sure i can do custom subnet masks now and explain how tcp works but it is nothing that would help me in the real world lol.

personally i would like to do something that i could build upon when i finish uni. I know projects like twitter were first thought of in university and something similar to do with networking would be great.

the only idea i had was to make a peer to peer network storage system but my lecture told me no, because networking administrators don't like peer to peer networks. Shes a dragon, living in medieval times when nothing but client-server models are used.

I dont really want to make a network for a client ( thats what most people are doing ) because I will just get bored, set up a few routers, install AD and do a wee bit of cabling. Just doesn't seem to be the way for me.
    So after your uni degree you can only do VLSM and show how tcp works? that can't be it?

If you really want to impress people you should show how to upgrade to IPv6, which in itself easy but people are putting it off, so if you can do it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalMH)
    So after your uni degree you can only do VLSM and show how tcp works? that can't be it?

If you really want to impress people you should show how to upgrade to IPv6, which in itself easy but people are putting it off, so if you can do it...
    One year CCNA - and just the things from the first semester? Despite the fact taht I am just 19y old and I'm still in highschool, I would advise you to concentrate on the 2nd 3rd, 4th semesters on the Cisco curiculum. Then, if U have time and motivation, expand your knowledge and take up CCNA Security/ Wireless/ VoIP (new, current technologies that are in demand). After completing all these you will have plenty of knowledge and ideas for your projects. What is more you will be a very preferable candidate on the job market. However, as I said - I am not a university student yet and I am just sharing my opinion

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.