Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me the difference between a provisional licence and a full driving licence. Can you use the provisional without needing to do the full driving test?

ReputationRep:
    Seriously?

ReputationRep:
    With a provisional you can learn to drive, but you need to be with a qualified instructor. And with a full driving licence you can drive whenever you want without supervision, so thats the point.

ReputationRep:
    Provisional - you can drive a car but someone that has passed has to be with you.
    Full - Have to pass the driving test to get one.

Negged for that? Niiice.

ReputationRep:
    if i have a provisional do I need to pay insurance to drive or can i drive straight after i get the provisional ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinshky)
    if i have a provisional do I need to pay insurance to drive or can i drive straight after i get the provisional ?
    You always need insurance that covers your use of the car in order to be able to drive legally.

ReputationRep:
    Provisional: Must be supervised by a person with a valid driving license and is at least 21 years old. You must have L plates on the car/van at all times.

ReputationRep:
    You have to be insured. Instructors will have insurance, so you don't need to be insured on that, but if someone is letting you drive in their own car, then you'll need to be insured.

ReputationRep:
    Mong

ReputationRep:
    Provisional: you can drive with an instructor and insurance is covered. Or you can drive with anyone thats been driving for 3 years already, but you must be insured on their car. This is for learning to drive before your test.

Driving license: You can drive alone. You've passed your test.

ReputationRep:
    Provisional - you can drive another car aslong as it insured for you to drive and have someone else in the car at the same time. The person with you needs to hold a valid driving license for over 3 years and be over the age of 21. The car needs to have L plates on.

Full License - Means you can drive on your own.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Dinshky)
    Can someone tell me the difference between a provisional licence and a full driving licence. Can you use the provisional without needing to do the full driving test?
    Provisional licence- youcan drive using it, but you have to have with you a driving instructor or someone in the car who is over 21 and who has been driving for at least 3 years. You have to have l plates on the car too.
    Full licence- you get this when you pass your test and you can drive like everyone else, where you want, when you want and you dont have to have anyone in the car with you or anything.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.