Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Red marks on my shoulders - leg press? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so Ive been going to the gym now around 3/4 times a week since December, before then i didn't really ever go although im quite good at fencing so i wasn't amazingly unfit, but still a bit on the puffy side.

Ive been doing resistance training for about a month (actually mainly because the gym has put up loads of posters about how you wont get huge if your a girl that does resistance training)

So yesterday i used the leg press for the first time, 6 sets of 12 reps of 61 (i dont know what the units are) - this morning when i woke up i noticed that i have red marks on my shoulders that look almost like really really bad stretch marks, they dont hurt.

All i can think is that this is from the leg press, because it pushes into your shoulders. Am i doing something wrong, or it is the clothes i am wearing, any advice would be great, because i really dont want to carry on using it if its going to leave these marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callipygian)
    Okay so Ive been going to the gym now around 3/4 times a week since December, before then i didn't really ever go although im quite good at fencing so i wasn't amazingly unfit, but still a bit on the puffy side.

Ive been doing resistance training for about a month (actually mainly because the gym has put up loads of posters about how you wont get huge if your a girl that does resistance training)

So yesterday i used the leg press for the first time, 6 sets of 12 reps of 61 (i dont know what the units are) - this morning when i woke up i noticed that i have red marks on my shoulders that look almost like really really bad stretch marks, they dont hurt.

All i can think is that this is from the leg press, because it pushes into your shoulders. Am i doing something wrong, or it is the clothes i am wearing, any advice would be great, because i really dont want to carry on using it if its going to leave these marks.
    A leg press doesn't press into your shoulders

I assume you are refering to one of those squat sled things

Kinda like this but horizontal

If so it is normal when you start training, its bascualy squashing your clothes into your shoulder - its not really damage.

ReputationRep:
    I uploaded a pic, this is normal? how long will it keep happening?

oh and its on both shoulders and nowhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its ok, it will die down quick enough, will happen for a month or so then stop happening (at least that is what happened to me)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Yeah its ok, it will die down quick enough, will happen for a month or so then stop happening (at least that is what happened to me)
    Okay, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I get them everytime I use a bloody calf raise machine. Blooming annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakelee)
    I get them everytime I use a bloody calf raise machine. Blooming annoying.
    I spoke to my brother about it and he says to do 1 leg at a time instead of both - this will put less pressure on your shoulders

ReputationRep:
    Why would you use the leg press when squatting with freeweights is so much better?

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to my brother about it and he says to do 1 leg at a time instead of both - this will put less pressure on your shoulders
    Your brother doesn't know ****. Do both at the same time or dont bother. oh and dont listen to him for advice anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Lol and you took this at face value?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARRY PUTAH)
    Your brother doesn't know ****. Do both at the same time or dont bother. oh and dont listen to him for advice anymore.
    I'm not pretending to know andythjng about his, I said I was a noob. I've seen people using 1 leg before what are they doing?

ReputationRep:
    Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LzLz)
    Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.
    Huh? What are you on about? Firstly, I'm not an Internet tough guy, I'm not even a guy! Secondly, what medical condition? I've seen people do 10 reps on one leg then change leg and do 10 reps, I was just asking why they do that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LzLz)
    I bet this was aimed at me.

Am I on about your mom? No I am not you pent up little harpy. "oh noes this guys mum has a bad knee and I might of insulted her because she may use this piece of equipment in this manner."

Shut the **** up you utter dweeb.

Internet tough guy, please stop generalising, your stupidity may be contagious. I am a calm type of guy and I dont actively seek physical match ups like your kind of person thinks people like me would. I'm not 245lbs either, DWAYNE!

So stop making yourself look like an e-tard and go back in that hole.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not pretending to know andythjng about his, I said I was a noob. I've seen people using 1 leg before what are they doing?
    if you have 2 good knees and legs you do both at the same time unless you're doing lunges, which are superior in any way to that. Squats and deadlifts are superior to lunges I should add.

There are stickies at the top of this forum, read and understand them and do not figure women who use weights will grow large, you do not have the physical attributes nor genetic capability to do so without drugs. Enjoy learning it and start posting in the barbelles thread.

ReputationRep:
    if you have 2 good knees and legs you do both at the same time unless you're doing lunges, which are superior in any way to that. Squats and deadlifts are superior to lunges I should add.

There are stickies at the top of this forum, read and understand them and do not figure women who use weights will grow large, you do not have the physical attributes nor genetic capability to do so without drugs. Enjoy learning it and start posting in the barbelles thread.
    Thanks - yeah basically the reason i haven't tried squats is that it all looks a bit intimidating.... I know thats not a great answer but i dont actually know any of the shiny giants that hang out in that corner of the gym, i dont know how it all works etc.. bit scary

ReputationRep:

Am I on about your mom? No I am not you pent up little harpy. "oh noes this guys mum has a bad knee and I might of insulted her because she may use this piece of equipment in this manner."

Internet tough guy, please stop generalising, your stupidity may be contagious. I am a calm type of guy and I dont actively seek physical match ups like your kind of person thinks people like me would. I'm not 245lbs either, DWAYNE!

The problem is your focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.

ReputationRep:

Don't say another word. Up until now, I've been polite. If you say anything else - one whisper of a word - I will destroy myself. And when my tainted spirit finds its destination, I will topple the master of that dark place. From my black throne, I will lash together a machine of bone and blood, and fueled by my hatred for you this fear engine will bore a hole between this world and that one.

ReputationRep:

I just dont like you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Don't say another word. Up until now, I've been polite. If you say anything else - one whisper of a word - I will destroy myself. And when my tainted spirit finds its destination, I will topple the master of that dark place. From my black throne, I will lash together a machine of bone and blood, and fueled by my hatred for you this fear engine will bore a hole between this world and that one.
    I say you are too new to tell anyone what to do. So fukking what Im 42 years old and a redneck....tell these people something that I dont say myself every day. Im in the best shape of my life, I own a home, and I misc at work at a $110k job....whats going on in your life? You wanna get somewhere in life, you need you quit being an ass to your elders and pay attention, ya just might learn a thing or two

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.