Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Not doing dissertation-will this hinder me for Masters? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As the title says I chose not to do a dissertation next year as trying to plan it made me very stressed and unhappy. Also I felt like I was a borderline 2.1 student (average grade is about 61%) and I didn't think a dissertation would have been a good idea for someone in as precarious a position as I was. From my grades it's clear that I haven't properly learnt how to structure essays and do well in them so I thought I wasn't good enough and every topic I was interested in but was being taught by my course next year.

I study English by the way and the deadline for dissertation proposals was mid March (far too early in my opinion). Will this hinder me doing a Masters degree as I won't have anyone who really knows me to give me a good reference (I barely ever see my tutor as she doesn't teach anything I study).

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Esmerelda)
    As the title says I chose not to do a dissertation next year as trying to plan it made me very stressed and unhappy. Also I felt like I was a borderline 2.1 student (average grade is about 61%) and I didn't think a dissertation would have been a good idea for someone in as precarious a position as I was. From my grades it's clear that I haven't properly learnt how to structure essays and do well in them so I thought I wasn't good enough and every topic I was interested in but was being taught by my course next year.

I study English by the way and the deadline for dissertation proposals was mid March (far too early in my opinion). Will this hinder me doing a Masters degree as I won't have anyone who really knows me to give me a good reference (I barely ever see my tutor as she doesn't teach anything I study).

Thanks
    The March deadline does not set your extended essay topic in stone; it is more the lecturers trying to get you to think about it in advance. I did not even have a proper title for my essay until I was printing it off on the day it was supposed to be submitted, for example. As long as they know which book(s) you are working with and the general jist then you should be fine.

Not doing a extended essay because you are afraid to graduate with a 2.2 makes no sense and will damage your masters application. If you have problems with essay writing then go to academic services and sort it out as soon as possible. There are people there to help you with these things. Even ignoring the reference issue, I would be sceptical about your chances of doing a masters. If you are having trouble with essay writing and are not doing a dissertation, please explain to me how you will make the transition? At masters level, my basic essay is 5000 words long and my dissertation will be 15,0000. How are you going to cope with that if your longest essay has only been 2500-3000 words?

No one expects your extended essay to be any good. I got 68, but looking back at it it now it is clear to me that it was an awful piece of work; the amount of research I did stood me in good stead for my masters though. It is part of the learning process. At the beginning I wondered how the hell I was going to write so much, but at the end I wanted a larger word count. It is about learning to structure your time over the space of a year, dealing with a supervisor, dealing with inter-library loans, dealing with other people and find out the best way to tell them about your research (we had group meetings where students and staff would talk about what progress we were making etc. and people could make suggestions), and learning how to ordeal with the ordeal of writing something up that big (i.e. try not to leave it until the Easter holidays ).

Trust me. It is a big mistake not to do one. It is your one chance to focus on something you really like on your degree!

ReputationRep:
    As someone who has always been better at exams than coursework, I'd still suggest it's a good idea to do a dissertation, just so that you have an idea of what it's like to produce a relatively long piece of work, as others have pointed out.

If you've missed the deadline and they definitely wouldn't let you do one now though, then it's no good thinking about it, and the best thing you can do to benefit your masters chances is to put everything you can into bossing your exams.

ReputationRep:
    Well...I did an "special subject" instead of a dissertation and I got on to all the masters I applied for this year and last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    The March deadline does not set your extended essay topic in stone; it is more the lecturers trying to get you to think about it in advance. I did not even have a proper title for my essay until I was printing it off on the day it was supposed to be submitted, for example. As long as they know which book(s) you are working with and the general jist then you should be fine.

Not doing a extended essay because you are afraid to graduate with a 2.2 makes no sense and will damage your masters application. If you have problems with essay writing then go to academic services and sort it out as soon as possible. There are people there to help you with these things. Even ignoring the reference issue, I would be sceptical about your chances of doing a masters. If you are having trouble with essay writing and are not doing a dissertation, please explain to me how you will make the transition? At masters level, my basic essay is 5000 words long and my dissertation will be 15,0000. How are you going to cope with that if your longest essay has only been 2500-3000 words?

No one expects your extended essay to be any good. I got 68, but looking back at it it now it is clear to me that it was an awful piece of work; the amount of research I did stood me in good stead for my masters though. It is part of the learning process. At the beginning I wondered how the hell I was going to write so much, but at the end I wanted a larger word count. It is about learning to structure your time over the space of a year, dealing with a supervisor, dealing with inter-library loans, dealing with other people and find out the best way to tell them about your research (we had group meetings where students and staff would talk about what progress we were making etc. and people could make suggestions), and learning how to ordeal with the ordeal of writing something up that big (i.e. try not to leave it until the Easter holidays ).

Trust me. It is a big mistake not to do one. It is your one chance to focus on something you really like on your degree!
    No as in the proposals for deadlines have already passed in mid March and from then they assign you tutors thanks for the advice though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Esmerelda)
    No as in the proposals for deadlines have already passed in mid March and from then they assign you tutors thanks for the advice though
    Trust me, this is just an internal deadline. If you want to do an extended essay speak to your programme leader as soon as possible.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.