Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    the DFID has so little actual information.
    Does anyone know any better sites/sources?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack1993)
    Bottom of page 9.
    Under the title Further research there is a website. There's only one i think. I'll post it below.

http://www.dfid.gov.uk/where-we-work...th/bangladesh/

Thank you!
    How are you revising this by the way? It annoys me that there's no actual way of revising it. I got 3 A*s in class tests and didn't do as well in January, so I guess it's just how you see the question. That January paper was worded so weirdly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toofaforu)
    reckon you can do a quick summary of spearmans rank? i dunno where to revise this from and this came up in the skills exam i took in january, and i had no idea what to do. are we going to have to work out figures using it? or just talk about it?
    heyy check this out, its quite simple when you get it. they might ask us to calculate stuff from the table (P2) or give us new data, im not sure. make sure you understand hypothesises and critical value stuff just in case

http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Spe...on-Coefficient

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihaveabrain)
    the DFID has so little actual information.
    Does anyone know any better sites/sources?
    check out practical action and their work on baira cultivation

ReputationRep:
    Im finding revising for this exam extremely hard but how are u meant to do spearmans rank when there loads of missing data? help is really appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizolove)
    Thank you!
    How are you revising this by the way? It annoys me that there's no actual way of revising it. I got 3 A*s in class tests and didn't do as well in January, so I guess it's just how you see the question. That January paper was worded so weirdly!
    Literally just reading over and remembering where everything is in the booklet. Going over cyclones in the weather section. And learning bits of that website.
    Then according to others Spearmans rank etc, could come up, so look over that.

Might not be the best way, but that's how i'm going to do it lol

ReputationRep:
    People are saying Spearmans rank will come up, does that mean we can take calculators in?

ReputationRep:
    Have some questions from the zigzag booklet that i have noo idea how to do :'( (most of them)

anyone have any idea?

- What is local cautionary signal number 3?
    - is there a pattern in the spread of deaths?
    - to what extend do you think there was an adequate healthcare response to the cyclone?
    - DdlD has identified 'making the government more effective' as an objective - what are the current problems with the government?
    - why did Sidr have a greater impact than Aiyla?
    - why is prevention of flooding almost impossible?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I found this pretty interesting http://www.dfid.gov.uk/Documents/pub...adesh-2011.pdf. It talks about the Millennium Development goals a lot, maybe this will come up in the exam?

ReputationRep:
    Hi i was just wondering how any of you would go about answering the question "Evaluate the effectiveness of aid projects funded by the DFID in reducing cyclone impacts and reducing poverty in Bangladesh" (15)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radant)
    People are saying Spearmans rank will come up, does that mean we can take calculators in?
    Yeah i would deffo bring a calculator. I got a question which i dont really know how to answer it is:

Comment on the usefullness of the DFiD website(6m)

what sort of stuff can you say? like that information is biased?

ReputationRep:
    The website
    • Has graphs which clearly showcases the progress they've made
    • Shows its top priorities
    • Has links to operational plans (PDF documents) - Clearly showcasing the situation beforehand and the results
    • Recent news stories about DFID
    • Have a list of all the projects in Bangladesh - funded by the DFID showcasing the budget and what's being done
    • Has external links to other useful websites

However this is just the Bangladesh page not the whole website

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Killsworth)
    Any ideas for synoptic stuff from AS and A2, i've got very very litlle :/
    Intensive farming on marginal land > Soil degradation/erosion > Standing water long after cyclone has ended?

Just a guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kittyminkyx)
    Have some questions from the zigzag booklet that i have noo idea how to do :'( (most of them)

anyone have any idea?

- What is local cautionary signal number 3?
    Bangladesh uses a series of signals to show impending disasters. Local cautionary signal number three signals wind speeds of 40-50 kph, often associated with a weak cyclone

- is there a pattern in the spread of deaths?
    All regions, except Cox's Bazar. saw an increase in the number od deaths from the initial report. The greatest number if deaths was in the two districts nearest the Indian border. This would correspond with the path of the cyclone. Both Noakhali and Bhola experiences the next highest death tolls and this could be due to their location at the mouth of the Meghna, meaning a combination of higher sea levels due to the cyclone coupled with high river discharges increased the risk of flooding. Rather surprisingly, Jhalokathi, which is nearer the coast than Barisal experienced no deaths whilst the latter had 11. Clearly community preparedness had a role to play in deaths

- to what extend do you think there was an adequate healthcare response to the cyclone?
    The resource states that 686 medical teams had been deployed in eight of the fourteen affected districts. These included the districts that were worst affected. Additional support was also being provided by WHO. Based on the information from Figure P2, this level of support seems adequate.

- DdlD has identified 'making the government more effective' as an objective - what are the current problems with the government?
    Government is often poorly organized and poorly managed, it appears to be run by a military dictatorship and Islamic extremism. Local governments are underfunded.

- why did Sidr have a greater impact than Aiyla?
    Cyclone Sidr was a category 4 cyclone and so had more power and intensity to create more damage than Aila (category 1) could. With more power it was able to travel further inland causing considerable damage. it also generated storm surges of 5m high in places causing a higher chance of drowning. Sidr hit after the country had experienced several months of heavy monsoon rains and so the land was already saturated.

- why is prevention of flooding almost impossible?
    Social: very large, impoverished population. Many farmers don't want flood defenses as this will lead to loss of land and mean that rice fields would be without their supply of floodwater that is needed.
    Political: flood control projects need investments from foreign countries, this can be a complex negotiating process.
    Economic: Bangladesh is too poor to fund extensive flood defenses itself.
    Environmental: the Ganges and Brahmaputra rivers are constantly shifting their course making it very difficult to build up banks to protect from flooding. This land is mainly mud ans silt and so difficult to build hard engineering on

Thanks
    Just wrote out the answers given in the answer booklet

ReputationRep:
    Wondering if anyone can clear this up?
    Was the scuba rice introduced when Aila hit?
    Is the world food programme and ministry of food and disaster management government or non government led?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    How could the data on figure p2 be presented, strengths and weaknesses ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sqphie)
    Wondering if anyone can clear this up?
    Was the scuba rice introduced when Aila hit?
    Is the world food programme and ministry of food and disaster management government or non government led?
    thanks
    the sucba rice was introduced not COS of aila, but just cos they're ****ing banging
    world food programme and ministry of food and disaster management are NGOs i believe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aodhán)
    Just wrote out the answers given in the answer booklet
    Thats great thank you!
    Is they're any way i can get hold of the answer book?

ReputationRep:
    On the back page, it says "in areas where there is population pressure on farmland, mangroves may come under threat of removal" - whyyyyy? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andynejad)
    On the back page, it says "in areas where there is population pressure on farmland, mangroves may come under threat of removal" - whyyyyy? Thanks
    more land needed for agriculture? as the mangroves will trap a lot of silt so the lands will be quite fertile
    trees felled for revenue or fuel?

Honestly a guess, I'm dreading this paper more than tuesdays one as I've already failed it once and with the Belfast one I actually had my teacher helping us and had months to prepare, this time I had to do it by myself. :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 23, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.