Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Teamwork and I've caught colleague plagiarising Watch

Feel like kickin a guy's tiny arse. Teamwork issues. Can't understand why a director of his own firm bothers enrolling, never turns up and goes how his work is great and doesn't need to be changed, heck I was wondering after it was handed in as to why it wasn't relevant to the scenario= word for word copied it. Too cocky to care and thinks money will get him out of situations. If it gets caught, am kickin his lil poshboy arse by complaining and confronting to his face, ****er. The last time someone pissed me off like that, was close to kickin the crap outta him. I won't give a prior warning that am giving him 3 seconds to just run *****.

Thing his, he put absolutely no effort into it. The teacher knows he never turned up so will by sympathetic for the rest of us and against him if she catches him. I hope so, also our first meeting he was suggesting we plagiarise. His section was 300-500 words. It was sent in an hard copy so I hope we don't get caught or get a bad mark otherwise me and a guy who is an exchange student will complain and own up to his action.

Stressed. I noticed after re-reading his part as I was busy with other team issues and deadlines, luckily fixed my other team issues then though and we did OK for other work.

If the tutor catches the plagiarising, would the whole team get in trouble for his plagiarising? What if we tell her that he never turned up and advised us to plagiarise in our 1st meeting. (Which he did and we clearly remember...) Again it was sent in hard copy and not electronic. We're lucky as last time the tutor wanted e-mailed copy with another module I did =/ If we get a bad grade, also even then I will report him, that he did no work, only the 2 of us did. Would complain until both the rest of our marks are upped apart from his for individual contribution.

ReputationRep:
    Happened to me before when my colleague just copy/pasted claiming it's his work. I asked him to rewrite it but he gave me a lot of crap so I stopped arguing. When we handed in the work he didn't even turn up expecting the rest of us to hand in his part without making ANY changes to it. Well I wrote his part for him from scratch, attached a note to the appendix commenting on his plagiarism attempt along with what he originally wrote. The rest of the team passed but he failed.

Yeah he kept whining I'm a grass but it's his own fault. I got lower marks because our group work was slightly rushed - I didn't have enough time rewriting his part properly but that was still better than failing.

ReputationRep:
    BRB stabbing my cat since no pics

(Original post by daedalos)
    Happened to me before when my colleague just copy/pasted claiming it's his work. I asked him to rewrite it but he gave me a lot of crap so I stopped arguing. When we handed in the work he didn't even turn up expecting the rest of us to hand in his part without making ANY changes to it. Well I wrote his part for him from scratch, attached a note to the appendix commenting on his plagiarism attempt along with what he originally wrote. The rest of the team passed but he failed.

Yeah he kept whining I'm a grass but it's his own fault. I got lower marks because our group work was slightly rushed - I didn't have enough time rewriting his part properly but that was still better than failing.
    Thank you so much for your reply, it was reassuring to hear such a similar situation from you. As you go to an excellent institution compared to me, I am at a London uni which isn't great but there are some very smart people that I know of who are hardworking. Unfortunately as much as I have had some excellent teams that put an incredible amount of effort into achieving high, also get a lot of the time moreso groups that pretty much suck.

I would've done what you did, had there have been more time but I was bombarded with other deadlines at the same time and preparing for presentations, seriously I was even at uni 8am panicking over a 35min presentation due where my team again wasn't bothered except for 1 person. The report concerning plagiarism though, we were supposed to be in teams of 4 however unlike others, we were short by 1 person. The American exchange student is very hardworking but this other director was too busy with his business. So I only noticed during my break when rereading it, after my colleague sent me mailed version of final report... All I did was Google search the section and immediately found the exact thing. Sat in computer labs thinking, holy ****ing ****. Also same thing with me, the guy who plagiarised didn't even bother turning up when it was due, almost as if he was planning to **** us over, we handed it in the morning as we had other things to do and didn't wait until 6pm deadline.

He thinks we're stupid and don't know but I already planned and discussed how we'll overcome this issue, with the American colleague. I have a feeling since my uni takes a very high amount of international and exchange students, the tutor won't be harsh otherwise it could create a bad atmosphere for newbies. Certainly if we get poor mark or accused, we're bringing this guy down as he thinks he's something just because he's filthy rich and has materialist goods. When I was asking him politely to do some work and help out, was giving me crap, about how this work is easy and how I stress and worry too much. Had poor referencing, already was a pain in the arse. :rolleyes: What did your tutor do when she saw the plagiarism note? My tutor is very elderly and not that techy so may not notice. She wasn't too fussed at all that my last semester group had poor grammar throughout another report we sent in, bad spelling and sentence structure. I had a word about it after with her about my concern over the poor English and she said it is the contents that matter, this isn't an English course, it is Business.

Thanks. x m

By the way, being in final year, am not over thinking about this issue, until the marks are received. Since my exams are soon. Merely planning on what the consequences could be and how I'll set out my case against him, if things turn nasty.

ReputationRep:
    Better check with your tutor/uni plagiarism guide. If caught, and chances are you will be caught if even you can spot it's copy/pasted, either the member caught plagiarising fails or the whole group fails even when you identify that person.

If I'm the marker I'd fail the group since each of you is suppose to ensure the others don't plagiarise.

Does plagiarism go into criminal record?

(Original post by daedalos)
    Better check with your tutor/uni plagiarism guide. If caught, and chances are you will be caught if even you can spot it's copy/pasted, either the member caught plagiarising fails or the whole group fails even when you identify that person.

If I'm the marker I'd fail the group since each of you is suppose to ensure the others don't plagiarise.
    I got a 65 mark in the report, not caught for the director's plagiarism. I did the most work, a yank dude who was quite cool did 2nd most... Director who plagiarised clearly did least. The mark included individual contribution but I only noticed after we had filled that sheet it, had I know then I would've capped his marks really down to just a pass. :rolleyes:

Weird thing is, the report was 20+ pages and I did similar report last semester in team where again we were 1 person short compared to everyone else. That last report was the same grade a 2:1 but only on a 60. There was a reallyyy ***** bossy girl ruling the team, appalling grammar and sentence construction, just wouldn't listen when I fixed it all... Then when it came to printing the work noone else said they would do it, so I did and on purpose she made the report unnecessarily 50 pages long just because I had to print it at uni and it cost a lot. Noone offered to chip in because they're tight *****es, then the bossy illiterate (she's not diagnosed to excuse herself as dyslexia or anything, otherwise I would understand) girl, insisted to keep the report which I needed the most for this semester etc. :mad:

Am still sooo stressed with uni but doing my best. Can't wait until it is all over and hopefully do OK. Am only keeping in touch with a very few awesome actual friends. Screw everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    God almighty stand up for yourself and stop caring so much about what other people will think or second guessing other people's responses and just do the right thing. Your self respect is worth more than a bloody grade.

ReputationRep:
    why did u let her keep it if u paid for it? stand up for yourself man!

(Original post by ellalor)
    why did u let her keep it if u paid for it? stand up for yourself man!
    You guys are correct, thanks! I do get stressed a lot as I also have personal issues at home etc which I try not to get in the way. Always stick up for myself but sometimes it isn't worth it, have to bite my tongue before I start cussing people back.

She lied that she needed to "borrow" it so she can go through the feedback with the tutor, then goes how she can photocopy it for me but didn't. Then when I said I would like it back since I printed it, she said she would prefer to keep it and I thought ya know what, am not fighting over it as reading through it made hardly any sense in terms of the English considering we're all English and I had already identified and tried rectifying that issue but just had mindless chavvy babble response. We gave the report in but nearly missed the deadline, **** knows what people's issue is. I think she is v. spoilt at home being an only child, can just tell that she rules everything and kept boasting about how she works in retail, big deal she's a few years older than me. Said that there isn't much feedback, so I can scan it myself at home instead of her doing it.

Tbh, uni has always been like this. I have very few nice, considerate, caring, smart and yet fun friends The rest are acquaintances who gimme a headache. Prefer to keep my mind on the nice people and screw the haters, be optimistic. Tbh I haven't had many excellent teams, a few were amazing and you learn to appreciate when team work is great, after experiencing ****.

I printed another copy of the 65 mark report as it saves me from less embarrassment when reading through it and revising from it. Then I used it to try revise for the exam I just had to do with the other similar module, as it is just half the amount of pages. Me and the American guy are relieved that we didn't get caught for plagiarising on the director's behalf and got the same grade including individual contribution.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 12, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.