The Student Room Group

How to attain an A* in both English Language and Literature?

Hello

As it's stated in the title, I intend to achieve an A* for English Language and Literature. Due to various diversions, I've been finding it difficult to revise for both of these subjects. I've been predicted two As, but if I don't augment my English skills during the Easter holidays, suffice to say I will be lamenting for a while because I didn't achieve the grade I desired in my GCSE exams.

Are there any tips you can provide whcih will help me with this? I need tips with Of Mice and Men, Poems and English Language especially.
Reply 1
Original post by Jackb95
x

I did Lord of the Flies but I spent time highlighting great quotes in the book and grouping them in themes. I learned the chapters well so I could navigate my way around the book easily in the exam.
With poems i used "SMILE". Most schools use a variation of this but SMILE is Structure, Message, Imagery, Language and Emotion/tone. When you choose your two poems in the exam just pick the three that are most relevant and you have most to talk about and these will be your meat paragraphs.
I got Cs in my mocks so I really didn't expect A*s. The main thing for me was really the amount of time I put in.
Good luck :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by FlippinEl
I did Lord of the Flies but I spent time highlighting great quotes in the book and grouping them in themes. I learned the chapters well so I could navigate my way around the book easily in the exam.
With poems i used "SMILE". Most schools use a variation of this but SMILE is Structure, Message, Imagery, Language and Emotion/tone. When you choose your two poems in the exam just pick the three that are most relevant and you have most to talk about and these will be your meat paragraphs.
I got Cs in my mocks so I really didn't expect A*s. The main thing for me was really the amount of time I put in.
Good luck :smile:

Thanks for the advice. :smile:
Reply 3
use loads of quotes :biggrin: thats what im gunna do!
Read and write loads of essays especially in timed conditions. The thing to A* is concise writing and the flair for writing.
Reply 5
May I ask, for those who are doing the short stories in their English Literature Exam - how do you structure you comparison essays. I am really confused in how to do that.

Thanks in advance

Good luck everyone
Reply 6
Enjoy the subject and be passionate about the poems :smile:
And made sure you write fluently and includes loads of links.

That's how I think I got A*s in English Lang and Lit anyway :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by rae_
May I ask, for those who are doing the short stories in their English Literature Exam - how do you structure you comparison essays. I am really confused in how to do that.

Thanks in advance

Good luck everyone

I think it's different for every board I think for one board (the aqa?) you have to compare four different stories, I'm not sure about that.

For my board I only have to compare two poems or stories so I talk about one story in the first then the other one in the second paragraph, I usually compare it in the second paragraph. I sometimes start a mini introduction in the first paragraph just to start things off. The conclusion is usually where I round it off, make sure I've directly answered the question, in case I didn't in the whole thing, and add a few extra points.
Reply 8
Original post by scireamortente
I think it's different for every board I think for one board (the aqa?) you have to compare four different stories, I'm not sure about that.

For my board I only have to compare two poems or stories so I talk about one story in the first then the other one in the second paragraph, I usually compare it in the second paragraph. I sometimes start a mini introduction in the first paragraph just to start things off. The conclusion is usually where I round it off, make sure I've directly answered the question, in case I didn't in the whole thing, and add a few extra points.

Thanks, that's really helpful
Memorise half a dozen quotes for the questions in Lit where you don't get a passage. Work systematically though Audience, Structure, Style, Purpose and Tone in each essay. Don't go too heavy on the jargon, but throw in a little bit.

What I did was pretend I was speaking about the extract rather than writing an essay on it, that helped enormously.

As for Lang, just make sure your pieces flow and don't wander off on a tangent.

And of course, the usual grammar, spelling etc...
Original post by rae_
Thanks, that's really helpful

You're welcome. :smile:
Reply 11
Write about each poem in each paragraph and try and find the similarities and differences! Don't ignore one poem and don't write more about one than the others :smile:
Reply 12
well i got A*s in lit and lang and also did mice and men, my advice would be to simply look at past papers , look at the questions and answer all of them. By the end of it you should have a bank of quotes at the back of your head for a number of questions, ( i hated doing that, found it so boring but it payed off) . You must also be able to write a page or more about single quotes.
I would write out a quote from mice and men, or a poem, and then sit there analysing it, how does it effect the story? its characters, us as readers, whats the purpose of it , any hidden meanings?

With english gcse, its not so much about your english writing ability as it is memory and preparation.
Reply 13
I'm just having trouble with poems. I don't know which ones to compare. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending