Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think of age gaps? watch

Anon or delete.

So what do you think of age gaps? What is the largest you would consider? And when would you consider it weird? Obviously if you are 25 and you are with a 32 year old it's fine, but then a 15 year old and someone who is 23 is a bit wrong....

Would you say a 15 year old girl and a 18 year old guy is too big a gap? I think slightly too big now, but at 17/18 and 20/21 it would be fine. Even 16/19 wouldn't be so bad?

Thoughts?

Spoiler:
    Show
    EVRY DAY AM SHUFFLIN

ReputationRep:
    Obviously all depends on the person but to me the difference would be between a school kid e.g. 15 dating an "adult" e.g. 18, I would personally think thats wrong. At 21, I wouldn't date anyone younger than 18 or anyone older than about 30.

I think for example, an 19/20 year old that has to date someone of 15/16 must be a bit of a loser.

ReputationRep:
    as long as your legal and theyre not older than your own parents, there is no problem. although if your under 19-20ish, stay away from anyone over 24.

thats just my thoughts on it anyway

ReputationRep:
    Divide by 2 add 7.

ReputationRep:
    This has been done to death..age gaps are funny things. You just have to plod along until you reach that stage where you feel comfortable in your social setting regarding it. Of course there are extremes but 3 years is not that much, if a little weird at this stage. So long as you both are happy and emotionally healthy within the relationship. If the union is worth it, then **** what people think.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    15 - 18? No.

Hell, there was a couple in our village that moved out recently, he was 60, she was 30... Its odd to think he was 30 when she was born... Now that's an age gap, but they were happy, and that makes it fine. :dontknow:

I would date someone a fair bit older then me, and a little bit younger, but as you get into the 20s/30s, it starts to not matter, really.

But yeah, they don't really concern me. I would date someone I really liked (obviously not someone younger then like, 14?) within reason, and without much concern, or someone who's a few years older (hell, if a 28 year old wants to date me, that's fine by me ) but yeah, nothing too bothersome to me, if the people are happy, I'm not fussed.

Honestly I think i depends on the maturity of the person, and they're lifestyle. It make look bad that they are under 16 but if your 30 and go out with someone thats 34 its the same age difference, yet thats not seen as wrong? obviously the sexual side of the relationship will have to wait until they are 16 because girls are sometimes sly and will get you done for rape if you finish them but i dont see a relationship being wrong.

im sixteen, but a twenty-one year old is far too into me, he cant decide weather its wrong or not. but if im honest im not sixteen on the outside or the inside, i look and act eighteen.

ReputationRep:
    as a teen, i wouldn't date anyone older than 3 years older than me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a big believer in them being a big deal however I do take issue with 25 year old men going out with like 16 year old girls.

I'm 20 and would be ok with a 16 year old however there's not many 16 year olds that would be ok. They would have to be mature for their age. Soon as I'm 21 it will be 17.

I would go up to about a 45 year old woman tbh (she'd have to of aged very gracefully).

ReputationRep:
    Current partner is 9 and a half years older than me, we met when I was 16. Because he hadn't set down roots and wasn't living the traditional lifestyle of someone who was 25 it was never an issue and never has been since. I was always very mature though, we're now at the point where with me aged 20 and him aged 29 we're both wanting to settle down so there's never been a conflict there. I think it really depends on the couple, I appreciate most 20 year old women aren't looking to get engaged and settled, so maybe my traditional values have helped us.

ReputationRep:
    I have absolutely no problem with it as long as both parties are old enough to be legal.

And so long as it's genuine i.e. neither party is using the other for some ulterior purpose.

ReputationRep:
    i dated an 18 year old when I was 13, but he was more immature than me...
    Needless to say, it ended badly...

(Original post by CHEETS)
    i dated an 18 year old when I was 13, but he was more immature than me...
    Needless to say, it ended badly...
    Wow now that is wrong! haha

So the general consensus is 15-18 is a bit off, but 16-19 isn't so bad? I actually think the "divide by 2 add 7" rule is a decent enough one.

ReputationRep:
    My parents have a 17 year age gap. So that's like me dating a 34-year old. Weird...

ReputationRep:
    I think during puberty and teenage years, one or two years can make a lot of difference because mental development is based a lot on school etc. and if somebody, even though he/she is the youngest in the year, is stood next to the oldest person in the year below, although physically they would be at similar stages, the older person would be a lot further mentally

if you get what I mean

after school and university and stuff, age gaps don't make that much of a difference

i am dating an 18 year old and im 27. I was shocked when i found out her age because she is so confident and mature minded. I thought she was at least 21. Its not ideal _ i wish i was the same age, but in reality its been great. She thought i was only 19 lmao because i am shy around pretty women.

i am dating an 18 year old and im 27. I was shocked when i found out her age because she is so confident and mature minded. I thought she was at least 21. Its not ideal _ i wish i was the same age, but in reality its been great. She thought i was only 19 lmao because i am shy around pretty women.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.