Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    --

ReputationRep:
    Baaaare lenient like white peoples' parents lolololol jk

ReputationRep:
    I do BSc Geography at Soton, and last year they let me in with ABB when they wanted AAB. However, I'm sure it depends on the school... and History is in a different school.

Just make sure you shine in your interview (if you have one) and your personal statement and you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grumpig)
    Hey, I'm applying to do History at Soton and I need an AAB, with an A in History. I'm on course to (hopefully) get an A and a B in my other subjects, but History is increasingly looking like a B (I got a B in both my AS modules, one of which I'm retaking, coursework will be a high B/low A and I feel really unprepared for the final module). So do you think they'll accept ABB with a B in History.
    All depends mate, all depends.

Even in a single university, there will be a different level of leniency between courses, departments and admissions tutors.

The more competitive the course, the less lenient the admissions, in most cases.

If the course is listed on UCAS Extra then you could expect a little bit more leniency, but of course it comes down to how many people meet their offers. If the course doesn't fill on results day, then there is probably going to be a decent amount of leeway.

You've just gotta hope that if there was say

100 places

and

97 people met their offer

that 3 places would go to the three best students who failed to meet their firm (it could be decided via grades, PS, UMS, all depends on the admissions tutors dealing with it.

Sometimes courses can take places from other courses in the same department though.

You're best off hoping that

(Original post by Good Bloke)
    x
    or
    (Original post by Minerva)
    x
    See this. They know their stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering this as well.

I have a conditional offer of BBB for BA Archaeology, which have firmed, but now I am really worried that I will end up with BBC becuase my sociology teacher has a new job as head of sixthform so she is hardly there to teach our lessons anymore! We have missed more than 2 months worth of lessons!

The course is in Extras, I think I did well in the interview and everyone have been very complementary of my personal statement.
    How likely do you think they are to be leniant in this case?

ReputationRep:
    2 of my flatmates got in after they missed their offer, and I know a couple of other people across different courses (though none in History to be fair) who were let in on lower grades, so it appears like Soton is pretty lenient.

ReputationRep:
    I retook my A levels and got ABB when they asked for AAB (engineering) and was told in January they'd let me in - well before they knew how many places they'd fill.
    It was 5 years ago mind, which is a tad depressing. I miss Southampton

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, it looks like they've increased their entry requirements for History next year to AAA. I don't know if it means anything for leniency this year, but I'm guessing it can't be good...

ReputationRep:
    One of my admissions tutors said that they could possibly still consider us if we just missed a grade as they had invested a lot of time and money into us so far and knew that they wanted us. Better the devil they know and all that. (Fingers crossed anyway!!!)

ReputationRep:
    Lenient, but then again its not really a great university, more average; Try applying to Durham for history instead

ReputationRep:
    Probably not very lenient. Especially this year as there will be loads of applicants. With many who may meet their requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reml)
    Lenient, but then again its not really a great university, more average; Try applying to Durham for history instead
    Try applying for nursing with on average (according to Manchester Uni and others) of over 125 applicants per place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glf2110)
    Try applying for nursing with on average (according to Manchester Uni and others) of over 125 applicants per place.
    History =/= Nursing.

I guess Southampton is good as a backup choice, but i fail to see why it should be chosen over much better universities such as York, Warwick and Durham...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reml)
    History =/= Nursing.

I guess Southampton is good as a backup choice, but i fail to see why it should be chosen over much better universities such as York, Warwick and Durham...
    Im sure that Southampton offers and even excels in some subjects that the others do not. e.g. Engineering, Nursing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reml)
    History =/= Nursing.

Do you go to university?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if they'll be lenient for Medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airdoc)
    Only Southampton Admissions in mid August.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airdoc)
    I hope you're joking.

ReputationRep:
    I hope they are for engineering , getting worried i might get AAB rather then the AAA

ReputationRep:
    anyone got into economics with lower grades?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.