Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is it with all these people doing A level maths in Year 10? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If you're not doing it early, you obviously are not amazing at Maths.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry overly about it - I think the post quoting the uni saying that early A levels can cause knowledge atrophy etc is fair enough. I have two friends doing maths at Oxbridge (one at Cambridge, one at Oxford) and neither did A level Maths pre-year 12, and they both went to decent private schools.

ReputationRep:
    Not really an impressive feat if you took AS single level maths below year 12 since there's almost nothing in AS(generally speaking A2 is much more difficult than their AS counterpart) There is now a further maths IGCSE available anyway which covers a lot of AS maths. I doubt doing AS maths early will bring you any major advantages unless you are doing questions on the level of AEA/STEP. Also Cambridge hopefuls might want to take AEA/STEP I in year 12 for the experience(as well as preparation for STEP II/III) and you may impress Cambridge if you do well.

PS I have an offer from Cambridge for maths and I never took any of my official qualifications early other than AEA. My school have produced many Oxbridge mathematicians and none of them did anything early Afaik.

ReputationRep:
    Given all the negativity about taking exams early, I'll going to speak up and say I took Maths A-level in year 10 and FM / S-levels (STEP equivalent) in year 11. I do think it's important to have a plan about what you're going to do "afterwards", but I certainly didn't find myself "going rusty" in the year before I went to university.

On the other hand, I do think there's no point taking exams early unless you're going to do well in them, and you certainly don't need to take anything early to get in to any university and do very well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.