Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how to deal with been pregnant when at university Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jf1)
    ah ok well i guess knowing the right amount of time i will need off is just something that i will have to deal with at the time then.
    Yeah, it all depend on how you feel personally. Good luck .

ReputationRep:
    Could you perhaps take a year or two out?

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to you

I've got a one year old little girl and I'm starting uni in september. It's a little different than your situation, though along the same lines. Having a young child and trying to get a good education/career is very difficult, as everyone will tell you. However, I'm on an access course at the mo and my grades are better than what I got before having my little one (BTEC diploma) down to the fact that she's my little star of inspiration!

I don't think there's any great advice I can give you because being a parent in itself is such a huge job, with so many things that you have to figure out on the way. I guess my advice would be not to be too intimidated about studying with a child. Oh,and morning sickness is a b*tch.

I really hope you have a happy & healthy pregnancy x

ReputationRep:
    yes i could take a year out but i atleast wana try to carry on if it is at all possible, as i feel if i took time out i would never want to go back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posietoes)
    Congratulations to you

I've got a one year old little girl and I'm starting uni in september. It's a little different than your situation, though along the same lines. Having a young child and trying to get a good education/career is very difficult, as everyone will tell you. However, I'm on an access course at the mo and my grades are better than what I got before having my little one (BTEC diploma) down to the fact that she's my little star of inspiration!

I don't think there's any great advice I can give you because being a parent in itself is such a huge job, with so many things that you have to figure out on the way. I guess my advice would be not to be too intimidated about studying with a child. Oh,and morning sickness is a b*tch.

I really hope you have a happy & healthy pregnancy x
    thanks its nice to hear people who are able to carry on education after having kids. morning sickness has been awful! luckily its easter hols at the moment but i can imagine once i go back in 3 weeks it is going to get hard to cope with.

ReputationRep:
    mumhad me at the age of 19 whilst dong a degree...she ended up doing a post grad to become a teacher so that she'd hve thesame school holidays as me and be able to look after me more...she was a single mum with little support so i'm not suggesting you do something drastic like that
    it will make you stronger as a person hun and you'll be absolutely fine because you soundlike you have all the support you need...dont fret about anything because worrying is likely to get you more confused and stressed just stay focused on your course and enjoy the excitement of being pregnant
    good luck with everthing and congrats to you both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stephie.u3)
    mumhad me at the age of 19 whilst dong a degree...she ended up doing a post grad to become a teacher so that she'd hve thesame school holidays as me and be able to look after me more...she was a single mum with little support so i'm not suggesting you do something drastic like that
    it will make you stronger as a person hun and you'll be absolutely fine because you soundlike you have all the support you need...dont fret about anything because worrying is likely to get you more confused and stressed just stay focused on your course and enjoy the excitement of being pregnant
    good luck with everthing and congrats to you both
    I will be 21 when baby comes. I really want to do a teaching course once i have done my degree too!! that was planned way before i found out i was pregnant.
    thanks for your support

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jf1)
    I will be 21 when baby comes. I really want to do a teaching course once i have done my degree too!! that was planned way before i found out i was pregnant.
    thanks for your support
    ah no probs you sound like a strong person and its good that your not doubting yourself...good on you for ruling out abortion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jf1)
    thanks its nice to hear people who are able to carry on education after having kids. morning sickness has been awful! luckily its easter hols at the moment but i can imagine once i go back in 3 weeks it is going to get hard to cope with.
    Aw poor you! How far along are you? Morning sickness was horrible! Mine was right up till 7 months Tho for most ladies I think it dies down at around 3 months..? So hopefully after that you can enjoy Have you had any cravings yet?

I craved ice cubes like mad :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posietoes)
    Aw poor you! How far along are you? Morning sickness was horrible! Mine was right up till 7 months Tho for most ladies I think it dies down at around 3 months..? So hopefully after that you can enjoy Have you had any cravings yet?

I craved ice cubes like mad :P
    im only 6 weeks, so the morning sickness only just started (started bout a week ago). i hope mine doesnt last til 7 months!! dont think i could cope with it for that long. not had any cravings yet, just always thirsty.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who had 3 kids and still got a degree....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d_star)
    Firstly congrats on the pregnancy, i hope everything goes well ignore the losers they dont know anything they lacking knowledge lol
    anyways my cousin was pregnant and at uni, it is fine because you already stated that you've got support etc from family and people in university so theres nothing much to worry about. Il just warn you that you shouldnt stress too much on uni work ok. try to spend as much time with your friends as uni and dont be alone, its really essential to have people around you if your pregnant, if your doing science and working in lab im guessing they will not allow you to be practicals in lab and you wont be allowed in labs. ermm other than that enjoy and have fun, best of luck
    You have no basis on making that assumption.

Firstly OP speak toy our uni and avail yourself of all the help and support they can give you. if you wont abort then your in for a tough few months and then a baby and a uni course. Youd better be made of sterner stuff than many as more than a few drop out because of this kind of situation. Just remember if you drop out you've wasted a lot of peoples time and money (and thats not to be harsh its just true) so you need to make up your mind soon.

Secondly - best of luck, i personally think your wrong not to abort, but its your call. Just remember do not go alone in any way get every scrap of help you can get its what its there for. Start looking for benefit payments/housing etc now as they can be a pain to get the ball rolling on.

well i apologise for the inapproprioate language lol anyways i think abortion is only allowed if the mothers health is at risk or the baby is going to be born with so severe disabilities that it would proberly die when its born (thats my religious beliefs). but money shouldnt stop people from having babies. so what if they are in a finicial chrisis, abortion is the last thing which should be on their mind. sorry i just love babies to much to even think of anyone killing them
    no one is suggesting killing a baby they are suggesting getting rid of a parasitic cluster of cells.

(Original post by jf1)
    ah ok well i guess knowing the right amount of time i will need off is just something that i will have to deal with at the time then.
    No dont do this - find out now. dont sit on your laurels, no offense OP but you dont know what your in for. Get as much sorted as soon as possible.

(Original post by Jason2)
    When will you flaming girls learn?

Sluts of the highest order.
    oh shut it you douche, it takes two to make a baby.

ReputationRep:
    i know a few people who got pregnant while in uni.
    i think most of them skipped a year though. dont see how its possible not to. if you have a c section and you cant go into uni, thats a **** load of work to catch up on.

ReputationRep:
    well i apologise for the inapproprioate language lol anyways i think abortion is only allowed if the mothers health is at risk or the baby is going to be born with so severe disabilities that it would proberly die when its born (thats my religious beliefs). but money shouldnt stop people from having babies. so what if they are in a finicial chrisis, abortion is the last thing which should be on their mind. sorry i just love babies to much to even think of anyone killing them
    I'm pro abortion, i dont think money comes into play if you want the child but i beleve in giving the child the best possible start. which basically means if both parents want the child then fine and your of an age to actually look after it. I dont see abortion as killing a baby. If you had been born at 12 weeks would you still be alive? if at all there are any survivors at that age id be intrested to see what there quality of life is like from there point of view.

I see very little negative points for abortion aslong as its not used as birth controle all the time. Accidents happen and nobody should screw there own life up from one mistake.

I have seen threads on here posted that are all anti-abortion because they can't have children themselves. My answer to this is simply; "I'm sorry you can't have children, maybe in the future they'll be an answer for you, but it's not logical to be against somthing because unfornatly you can't exercise that right. Were not trying to be offensive to you, were just trying to live our own lives"

Im happy for the person who started this thread congrats!

I am on a course with 2 ladies that have had children there now going into there 4th year and seem to be coming okie. just utilise all the support you can and try your best . If you dont feel up to it, maybe look into a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    If you stay strong, you'll make it to end of your course. So it'll be lucky you with a baby and a degree.

ReputationRep:
    Could you start the first term of year 3 and then intercalate so you have the baby and a few months to re-establish yourself in a sense and then join back in at the point you intercalated the year after? That way you'd only have to finish another six months having had the baby and don't have to go through all the joys of pregnancy whilst doing your degree? A girl at my Uni did the exact same thing (though she wasn't pregant).

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations! I'd personally recommend joining a pregnancy forum, I'm been on one for years and there are a lot of young women on there who either are pregnant or had a child whilst going through uni so you may be better off getting advice from them!

If you think you could cope then go for it! I have seen from some people though that third year is extremely hard and they wouldn't have coped had their baby been born in third year, so I believe they recommended one of the ladies asking to take a year out and go back. It's really your decision though, pregnancy may not be plain sailing which could impact your studies. Either way, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, congratulations I've not been in this situation but my friend has and it was the best thing that could have happened to her in terms of her degree. Since the baby was born she has been forced to get into a routine which has helped massively with uni, she gets all of her work done on time and is always on top of everything. Because of this she's received nothing but firsts and high 2:1s this year, hopefully it will be the same for you! Seriously good luck, but it is definitely doable. But if you feel that you won't be able to cope, ask to take a year out from your degree and finish it later. Congrats again and good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jf1)
    Just coming to the end of second year of university degree and found out that I am pregnant.
    Spoken to university and they are happy for me to carry on my degree if i feel like i can cope with it all.

has anybody else been through a similar situation? and if so any advise??

[[[and i dont want any comments from people that judging me like suggesting abortion or saying shouldnt have got pregnant.]]]
    Take time out and come back to uni when you're ready. It will take time to get used to being a mum, so once you've settled in a routine and everything is going okay, think about returning. If your uni has a nursery/crèche, you can drop off your baby there whilst taking lectures.

Going part time might also be another option. You can complete your degree in another couple of years and still have lots of time to juggle studying/looking after your baby.

Good luck with it all and PM me if you have any questions.

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my 1st year and one of the girls I have become good friends with has become pregnant, shes having a year out and is determined that she'll come back to university, however for some reason I don't think she will. She'll enjoy being a mum too much, lots of us think that she won't come back.
    If you feel like you could cope for it, then go for it, you've already done 2 years at uni, yes your thirds a little bit more stressful but go for it!!! just don't do it if you think it will affect your work thinking about the baby. Have a year out and then come back? or do you think that you'd be demotivated to go back?
    Congratulations anyway

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.