Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Replete)
    Hey I have a few questions.

1. Do the rooms/bathrooms have sockets for electronic shavers or do wen need to get a converter?
    2. What kind of stuff should I get for bedding or should I just get covers for them?
    3. What will the first few hours be like, I'm fairly nervous about this - right after we settle into our rooms what are people doing straight after?
    1. This is a good question... mine's battery powered, so I just charge it from the mains when I need to anyway... Erm, I think the answer to this is yes. I think Sorry I can't be more specific.

2. The university only provide a mattress as standard, although you can ask them for bedding when you get there if you don't have any, but it's not great. So basically, the whole kaboodle - sheets, duvet and pillow + covers etc.

3. When you arrive you'll be welcomed by the Week One Reps, who were residents of the hall last year and will be there to look after you during the whole of the first week. You'll have a bit of time to unpack and settle in, and that at a certain time in the afternoon (you'll be told this on the day) everyone will gather in the JCR (Junior Common Room). You'll then be taken to the Sports Hall where you'll sit through the Freshers Address, which is largely a talk by the Vice Chancellor and the SU President to welcome you to the university, but also includes an amazing light show like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSBAZPSPvCM

After that you'll all go back to the hall and sit down for an evening meal, and then a bit later on everyone will gather again in the JCR where you'll be able to get to know people, and there will be drink if you're into that sort of thing (but no worries if not, just do what you feel comfortable doing.)

Soyeah, basically don't get too worked up about it. Everyone is in the same boat; everyone will be feeling nervous, nobody will no each other, but because of that everyone will be very open and friendly, and there will be lots of people around to make sure you're ok and to help you out if anything is troubling you

ReputationRep:
    Just to follow on from Tom's answer, there aren't shaver sockets in the rooms, so yes, you'll need to use a converter. In regards to bedding, I would recommend taking a mattress protector too.

(Original post by Rachel08)
    Hi, quick question, how much shelf space is there (thinking about books and dvds)?
    I'm trying to start packing!
    Thanks
    You'll have a shelf unit (mine had four shelves). It should be enough space for your books and DVDs, but if it isn't I'm sure you can find some room for them in your desk drawers etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOriginalTinyT)
    1. This is a good question... mine's battery powered, so I just charge it from the mains when I need to anyway... Erm, I think the answer to this is yes. I think Sorry I can't be more specific.
    ................................ ..
    ................................ .
    Thanks, that was very helpful. I have a few more if you don't mind...

What facilities are there to do your laundry and what are the schedules/cost etc.?

Oh and are sites like tvcatchup (allows you to watch live tv online) blocked? Also I heard a loophole about being able to watch Live TV on your laptop without paying a TV License if the laptop's not plugged in??

Thanks a lot for helping I'll probably have more questions to nag you with as the day approaches

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that was very helpful. I have a few more if you don't mind...

What facilities are there to do your laundry and what are the schedules/cost etc.?

Oh and are sites like tvcatchup (allows you to watch live tv online) blocked? Also I heard a loophole about being able to watch Live TV on your laptop without paying a TV License if the laptop's not plugged in??

Thanks a lot for helping I'll probably have more questions to nag you with as the day approaches
    No worries, ask away!

There are four washing machines and three dryers. Two of the washing machines add powder themselves, and two require you to add powder or a liquitab in with the load yourself.
    There's no schedule as such, it's essentially just when the machines are free. Saturdays and Sundays tend to be especially busy, so if you can find some other time during the week then that would be best.
    The washing machines cost £1.20. I'd recommend building up a little collection of £1s and 20ps if you can, just so you've got them on hand. You can get change from the Reception, but it's easier if you've already got it there yourself.
    The dryers take 20ps, 50ps and £1 coins... they're not amazing though.
    I'd say you should generally put a minimum of 70p in there, but obviously more if it's a heavier load. I tend to put a minimum of £1 in regardless, unless it's literally only a few items, because sometimes things can still come out a bit damp with only 70p. Up to you though, it's slightly trial and error!

Wow, that was a lot of information about washing machines...

Ermm, I'm not sure exactly which sites are and aren't blocked. I know that Megavideo works, but if lots of people are using it then it saps the time limit really quickly, often before your programme has finished. Catch-up services like iPlayer and ITV player are fine though. It doesn't seem to like 4oD, but they put their stuff on Youtube, so it's not a problem.
    Yep, the regulations for students say that you're covered by your parents' licence if you watch it through a device which is powered by it's own batteries, as long as it's not plugged in.... but they can't tell if it's plugged in at the mains anyway, so it's a really stupid technicality.
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...?WT.mc_id=r107 'Your parents' TV Licence will not cover you while you are away at university unless you only use a device that's powered solely by its own internal batteries. You must not plug it into the mains when using it to receive TV.'

Don't worry if you have any other questions, more than happy to help

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, just wondering what is the best time to arrive on sunday? thanks

ReputationRep:
    How do all the freshers pass/wristbands work? I'm clueless on the subject, do we buy them when we get there and just go to events that the hall goes to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzern)
    Mmm, it's up to you really. Probably between 11 and 1 would be most practical, although these are also the busiest times for the very same reason! Basically, just arrive whenever best suits you
    You'll want to leave some time to unpack and settle in before heading off to the Freshers Address in the evening though, so probably best not to leave it tooo late. I don't know what time FB will be heading off to this, sorry.

How do all the freshers pass/wristbands work? I'm clueless on the subject, do we buy them when we get there and just go to events that the hall goes to?
    When you arrive on the Sunday you'll be greeted by the Week One Reps, who will give you a Week One wristband. This basically allows you to get into any of the evening events during the week in conjunction with a ticket to the specific event, which you buy separately. You can only get in if you show your wristband and your ticket, so best to keep the wristband on for the whole week and buy the tickets as and when you want to from the Week One Reps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzern)
    I was told 9am, I am going to try to get there as early as possible to get a good parking space.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 23, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.