Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I've receveid 2 conditional offers by Birkbeck College and Roehampton University. I'm an international student, and of course they have asked me to show my proficency in english (i didn't take the IELTS yet). The second condition is obtaining at least 100/110 in Laurea (Final grade of Italian Bsc Diploma).
    For me is already impossible to reach this grade. I'm missing just 16 ECTS, and the italian university system calculates the final grade considering the average of all the grades of the total 180 ECTS. For me, also if I will take 30/30 on the last 3 exams that I'm missing, is a mathematical impossibility to reach the final grade of 100/110.

So, now what I have to do? Decline the offers? I won't reach the condition. Is not possible. I read somewhere that they will consider another time my applycation if I won't met the conditions. But I think that I will take 90/110.
    What do you suggest me? I have to accept both the offers and after wait for the last decision? Is possible to accept more than one offer?
    Have I any hope to be admitted witht that final grade?

Thank you a lot guys!!

P.S.: for a Msc International Management, between Birbeck and Roehampton, which University is better?

Birkbeck is the best, it has a good reputation for management and good links with employers and since you are looking for a postgraduate degree then the Research quality of the university is also important. Birkbeck has a good ranking in the research tables for Business and Management. Roehampton was not even mentioned (maybe because the department was not even created in 2008 when the Research Assessment Exercise took place. Plus, since you are a foreign student, employers back in your country and other countries will look more favourably upon a Masters degree from Birkbeck, University of London than University of "Never heard of (Roehampton)".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cybergrad)
    Birkbeck is the best, it has a good reputation for management and good links with employers and since you are looking for a postgraduate degree then the Research quality of the university is also important. Birkbeck has a good ranking in the research tables for Business and Management. Roehampton was not even mentioned (maybe because the department was not even created in 2008 when the Research Assessment Exercise took place. Plus, since you are a foreign student, employers back in your country and other countries will look more favourably upon a Masters degree from Birkbeck, University of London than University of "Never heard of (Roehampton)".
    This. No contest whatsoever. Birkbeck wins, hands down.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys. I knew that, it was just to confirm!
    And what about the other questions?

You can still accept the offers, you have nothing to lose. Even if you don't meet the grades they might not have enough people applying/enrolling for the course so they might make an exception and allow you to take the place even with lower grades. Just try as hard as you can to get closer to the marks that they ask for, and also take the IELTS test as soon as you can. Satisfying one condition and getting as close as possible to meeting the 2nd one will increase your chances of getting accepted.

ReputationRep:
    You need to contact the universities and ask for advice before accepting the offers. If there is no way you can actually meet the offer, you need to speak to them so that they can tell you whether they'd still consider your application even though you've failed to make the offer. Given it is a postgraduate course, the offer they've given you will probably be the equivalent to a 2:i at UK undergraduate level and many universities will be very reluctant to let students onto the course with lower than this grade. Accepting a postgraduate offer can include paying a fee to the university (so then they know you're not just accepting loads) so if you accept the offer then fail to make the grades, you might not get your money back which is why you need to speak to them.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys...a general information:
    i've received 4/5 conditional offers, it's already sure that i won't meet one of the conditions. So, can i accept all the offers? And then, if 2 or more University will accept me, of course is possible to choose just one University right? I mean, i can accept all the offers, and the i can refuse one or more if i'll be accepted from more than one university right?

ReputationRep:
    Not quite sure exactly what you mean, but you can only accept two offers, you must decline the others. You pick one Firm, and one Insurance.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.