Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    should I vote for AV, or against?

Please state reasons for your answer.

ReputationRep:
    I would say yes.

AV isn't amazing, but its slightly less of a farce that FPTP which is really designed for a two party system, which we are now moving away from.

ReputationRep:
    Above all, remember that a change to AV is basically meaningless. Now bearing that in mind, just vote yes or no depending on whether you want to help or hurt the coalition. Ideally the latter.

ReputationRep:
    against-AV can lead to the person who has got the 2nd or 3rd number of 1st choices becoming the MP if they have the most 2nd or 3rd choices. Also, it's going to lead to more less commonly wanted seats such as the bnp, ukip whatever

ReputationRep:
    Oh there are also a lot of claims that the no campaign are peddling that are a load of crap.

AV will lead to more hung parliaments

This isn't really true, Australia has had AV for 80 years and this recent election is the first time they've had a hung parliament in 70 years. Also bear in mind that FPTP in 2010 led to a hung parliament anyway.

AV will boost parties like the BNP

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...nces-thinktank

The BNP themselves are campaigning against AV.

Also this thing about expensive voting machines if we have AV seems to be totally unsubstantiated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elandar)
    Oh there are also a lot of claims that the no campaign are peddling that are a load of crap.

This isn't really true, Australia has had AV for 80 years and this recent election is the first time they've had a hung parliament in 70 years. Also bear in mind that FPTP in 2010 led to a hung parliament anyway.

Also this thing about expensive voting machines if we have AV seems to be totally unsubstantiated.
    Perhaps it’s testament to the insignificance of AV that all the points you make are simply to show how a change of voting system won’t actually make things any different to how they are now.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Personally I say against. Based on the voting pattern of my constituency

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Personally I say against. Based on the voting pattern of my constituency
    What's that?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by morris743)
    What's that?
    Almost 60% to the winning mp

24% to the second guy.

ReputationRep:
    Put it in preferential order.

ReputationRep:

This makes it clear that there would be little change if we moved to AV so i would say vote no to save the costs involved, our government is trying to save money...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creak)
    Perhaps it’s testament to the insignificance of AV that all the points you make are simply to show how a change of voting system won’t actually make things any different to how they are now.
    Perhaps it's testament to how useless FPTP is that the main arguments in favour of it are just a bunch of lies and half truths about AV.

If we change to AV, best case is that it will get rid of tactical voting, make MPs more legitimate and make them work harder for support.

Worst case scenario is that everything just stays the same as it is now. At that point you may as well vote yes, because theres no real risk of things actually getting any worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duck6)
    This makes it clear that there would be little change if we moved to AV so i would say vote no to save the costs involved, our government is trying to save money...
    The money that has been spent is on the cost of having a referendum. Thats already happened, so its irrelevant now.

At this point its not like voting "yes" is going to cost more than voting "no".

ReputationRep:
    The money that has been spent is on the cost of having a referendum. Thats already happened, so its irrelevant now.

At this point its not like voting "yes" is going to cost more than voting "no".
    Are there not considerable administration costs involved in actually changing the system?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duck6)
    Are there not considerable administration costs involved in actually changing the system?
    I imagine there will be costs, yes, but I haven't seen anything that shows they will be considerable. I doubt it would cost an astronomical amount of money to retrain people to count ballot papers in a different way.

Besides, if theres a possibility this will improve our electoral system for the better for years to come, then I'd say its worth spending money on, even if it does turn out to be a large amount.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps it's testament to how useless FPTP is that the main arguments in favour of it are just a bunch of lies and half truths about AV.
    Absolutely. What’s worse is the amount of time and effort spent trying to promote a change to a system which is basically the same.

If we change to AV, best case is that it will get rid of tactical voting, make MPs more legitimate and make them work harder for support.
    Can you explain how, exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creak)
    Absolutely. What’s worse is the amount of time and effort spent trying to promote a change to a system which is basically the same.

Can you explain how, exactly?
    You can check out the Yes to AV website for their theory.

Look, I'm not saying AV is the best thing since sliced bread, but if theres even a small chance that those things will happen then thats well worth a yes vote.

If the worst thing that can happen with AV is that everything stays the same then we dont exactly have much to lose.

ReputationRep:
    You can check out the Yes to AV website for their theory.

Look, I'm not saying AV is the best thing since sliced bread, but if theres even a small chance that those things will happen then thats well worth a yes vote.

If the worst thing that can happen with AV is that everything stays the same then we dont exactly have much to lose.
    I've read around, all the arguments are too easy to pick holes in though. What it comes down to is that there is so little of significance to separate the two systems that it simply doesn't matter which we keep. What a 'no' vote on this issue has got the power to do however is to aggravate tensions within the coalition, between the LD leadership, its Councillors and the party faithful, between the party and the general public, within the consciences of the careerists- something will give, with enough pressure. That's worth far more to me and many others than some cosmetic change to the voting system.

ReputationRep:
    Im voting against it. FPTP has its flaws. AV has its flaws too. They are both not proportionate, if we were getting STV or similar then i would be voting for it

ReputationRep:
    Not AV because it favours the Lib Dems and they are *****

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.