Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can sitting infront of a computer for 6-7 hours a day Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah, I'd say it does.

I probably spend 10-11 hours a day sitting in front of my laptop.
    Yesterday I spent more like 27 hours, but tbf I was up for more than 30 hours so my "day" was more like two for most people.

And I'm extremely lazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joburger)
    make you lazy. For example, you find it hard to get off your seat to even go down for a snack, and you find it hard for academic studies aswell, revising for exams.

Also i've noticed difficulty in being bothering to shave/brush my teeth/shower everyday.

Is this normal?

And what advice can you give to help me break this habit,and be more active .
    you just have to realise how pathetic spending all your time online is.

being bothered to shave, brush teeth and shower, must mean you don't leave the house that often... lol if you do though, bad breathe IS THE WORST.

from 15-18 i dont think any normal non nerdy teenager as i was, was online as much as me, at the time i was lazy and reliant on parents etc.. i don't think the PC affected that though. revising... maybe you have better things to do online so you don't revise.. at the end of the day your future career is more important than any online game, or whatever you do.. i know it might be a hard cycle to break but like i said to begin with, a PC is not a replacement for a real life. . .

i guess to break it you need to find things to fill your time with, if you can't/don't have a great social life then that makes things a lot harder because going on the pc is one of the only things to do.

perhaps invest in some weights or a bicycle.. something to get you more active, delete games from your pc, or whatever it is that keeps you on it.. the only way to break the habit easily though is to get rid of the internet... have your mom put a password on it maybe? 2 days a week where u are not on it once......... failing that, if you can get a job that would be the best thing, meet new people. . and have something to occupy your time other than going online.

ReputationRep:
    If I'm in my room for over three hours, I'll get a very loud "where are you? what are you doing?!.." which will then be followed by a "all you ever do is sit up there glued to the screen" lecture. So I try to have regular breaks, where I will go down to reassure my Mum that I am still alive and not "hiding from chores" as she sometimes like to call it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nahm sayn?)
    you just have to realise how pathetic spending all your time online is.

being bothered to shave, brush teeth and shower, must mean you don't leave the house that often... lol if you do though, bad breathe IS THE WORST.

from 15-18 i dont think any normal non nerdy teenager as i was, was online as much as me, at the time i was lazy and reliant on parents etc.. i don't think the PC affected that though. revising... maybe you have better things to do online so you don't revise.. at the end of the day your future career is more important than any online game, or whatever you do.. i know it might be a hard cycle to break but like i said to begin with, a PC is not a replacement for a real life. . .

i guess to break it you need to find things to fill your time with, if you can't/don't have a great social life then that makes things a lot harder because going on the pc is one of the only things to do.

perhaps invest in some weights or a bicycle.. something to get you more active, delete games from your pc, or whatever it is that keeps you on it.. the only way to break the habit easily though is to get rid of the internet... have your mom put a password on it maybe? 2 days a week where u are not on it once......... failing that, if you can get a job that would be the best thing, meet new people. . and have something to occupy your time other than going online.
    BEST ADVICE EVER.

THANKYOU VERY MUCH. i haven't been on the computer all day. Went to the park and did some revision after i came home

ReputationRep:
    I work in an office and walk around every half an hour or so. I'll do a lap of the office or go outside. Just take a 10 minute break when you need one. Give you eyes a rest.

I don't think it can make you lazy. Sitting down all day makes me want to move when I get home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joburger)
    make you lazy. For example, you find it hard to get off your seat to even go down for a snack, and you find it hard for academic studies aswell, revising for exams.

Also i've noticed difficulty in being bothering to shave/brush my teeth/shower everyday.

Is this normal?

And what advice can you give to help me break this habit,and be more active .
    I got the same problem its such a distraction... if I was you i suggest you get into a routine in the morning, once thats settled to get around the revision.. i suggest hitting the library like a normal school day at either your local library or preferravly your school library if its open during holidays

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replies so far guys , i appreciae it. Keep em coming

ReputationRep:
    I'd only say it makes you lazy if you're the type of person who struggles for motivation anyway.

Personally it doesn't for me.

My job is software development, so I'm sat at a PC between 9-6 every day.

Once I'm home, the last thing I want to do is look at the PC again, so I find other stuff to do.

ReputationRep:
    It's obviously not good for you, mentally or physically.

I get pains in my back if I sit at the computer for too long, so I usually get up and take the dog for a walk. Perhaps I should just get a new, more comfortable chair...

Honestly, unless you want to feel like every day is a waste, that you haven't accomplished anything but getting out of your seat for a bar of chocolate, then you really need to tone down your time spent on the computer.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.