Turn on thread page Beta

Who are more 'common', Northerners or Southerners? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    I never thought I had a northern accent until I went to Cambridge and everyone told me I did... so from the point of view of my own complete obliviousness, notherners on the whole probably sound more 'common'. Despite this, northern accents preserve some archaic features that southern accents don't; for example the trap-bath split and foot-strut split haven't happened here (yet). So it's very much up for debate which is more 'pure' (although being a descriptivist, rather than prescriptivist, I'd say that the word 'pure' has little to do with language at all).
    Oh dear, I know I have a Northern accent... Am I going to get ripped to shreds? :eek: hahahaha

ReputationRep:
    I never thought I had a northern accent until I went to Cambridge and everyone told me I did... so from the point of view of my own complete obliviousness, notherners on the whole probably sound more 'common'. Despite this, northern accents preserve some archaic features that southern accents don't; for example the trap-bath split and foot-strut split haven't happened here (yet). So it's very much up for debate which is more 'pure' (although being a descriptivist, rather than prescriptivist, I'd say that the word 'pure' has little to do with language at all).
    Being a linguist, I'd have to agree and go further to ask what 'pure' even means in this context. There's prestige, sure, but purity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ian Holloway)
    Who do you think are more 'common', northerners or southerners? I think it would have to be northerners by a long stretch (with perhaps the possible exception of Essex in the south). Down south we speak with etiquette - the Queen's english, if you will. Up north, the locals don't seem very classy at all, there are more chavs and the accents sound rather more vulgar.

What are your thoughts?
    (Original post by Smelly Ellie)
    Yeah I suppose, when I think of North Vs South I always think Emmerdale Vs the Queen. But the divide isn't really as clear cut as that is it?
    Have you ever seen Eastenders.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noobynoo)
    Given that the some of the main gay capitals of the UK are in Manchester, Blackpool and Newcastle and highly doubt that.

Yeah obv. north is more 'common' since it has all the commoners who worked in the mining/steel/cotton industries and when they shut down you get generations of unemployed people on the dole.

I tend to find that in the south even people with the lowest jobs such as in sandwich shops are more intelligent than those in the north.

Northerners can just say random words with no meaning to them whatsoever: "aye... luv... wey aye... like...aye...like...luv ....like" but southerners tend to say things which make actual sense: "So what's your opinion on the Lybian situation?"
    where's lybia?

ReputationRep:
    Given that the some of the main gay capitals of the UK are in Manchester, Blackpool and Newcastle and highly doubt that.

Yeah obv. north is more 'common' since it has all the commoners who worked in the mining/steel/cotton industries and when they shut down you get generations of unemployed people on the dole.

I tend to find that in the south even people with the lowest jobs such as in sandwich shops are more intelligent than those in the north.

Northerners can just say random words with no meaning to them whatsoever: "aye... luv... wey aye... like...aye...like...luv ....like" but southerners tend to say things which make actual sense: "So what's your opinion on the Lybian situation?"
    *Libyan. Fool.

ReputationRep:

:lolwut:

Ridiculous, and slightly offensive, post. Just because people are poor doesn't make them unintelligent, what a load of rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duck6)
    Have you ever seen Eastenders.......
    Unfortunately Why?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Oh dear, I know I have a Northern accent... Am I going to get ripped to shreds? :eek: hahahaha
    I was about to comfort you and say of course not, but then I saw you're going to St John's... you're doomed to a miserable three years ostracism by people who have more money than you do. Shame

ReputationRep:
    When I went to Durham there were loads of people from 'down South' and they sounded very posh, and I sounded 'poor', apparently, haha!

I'm not sure what that proves, just thought I'd say it...

ReputationRep:
    I was about to comfort you and say of course not, but then I saw you're going to St John's... you're doomed to a miserable three years ostracism by people who have more money than you do. Shame
    Ah well, they might take pity on the poor old Northerner... :rolleyes:

ps SIX YEARS

ReputationRep:
    Is this even a question?

It's pretty obvious, LOL.

Nobody will like to hear it or admit it.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately Why?
    Try comparing Emmerdale with Eastenders instead of the Queen, I suppose I'm simply pointing out that TV isn't the best way to compare accents.

ReputationRep:
    Up ere in ouher Yorkshire yur'd find yursen 6 feet under fer saying that... Bloody suvven fairies a' tell thee...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duck6)
    Try comparing Emmerdale with Eastenders instead of the Queen, I suppose I'm simply pointing out that TV isn't the best way to compare accents.
    Haha yeah, in my post I was trying to say the same. It's just the first thing I think of when I think of a Northern and a Southern accent There are some crazy accents and some lovely accents in the North and in the South to be honest, there isn't really a 'Northern' accent and a a 'Southern' accent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    My thought is that only a **** would post a thread like this.
    But 'Southener' has 9 letters :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ian Holloway)
    Who do you think are more 'common', northerners or southerners? I think it would have to be northerners by a long stretch (with perhaps the possible exception of Essex in the south). Down south we speak with etiquette - the Queen's english, if you will. Up north, the locals don't seem very classy at all, there are more chavs and the accents sound rather more vulgar.

What are your thoughts?
    My thoughts - you are a pompous ********.

ReputationRep:
    Northern lads have sexier accents by far. Northern girls are funnier than southern girls.

Some people sing about French girls and girls from California
    They mite be alright for a nite alright, but don't trust them, I warn ya
    I've been to the east and I've been out west and I been all the world around
    But I aint seen none come anywhere near the girls from the Northern towns

Give me a Northern girl every time,
    I've gotta find one I've made up my mind
    Give me a Northern girl every time,
    I want a Northern girl.

Marry a girl from a Northern town, and you know you can trust 'em
    They'll darn your socks and wash and mend, your trousers if you bust 'em
    There all good cooks and they got good looks and they wont leave you a dance
    I'm gonna find me a Northern girl, if I get half a chance

Nondon girls are the best in the world, there ain't no doubt about it
    If you cant find a girl from a Northern town, your better off doing without it
    They dont create when you come home late and you're crawling up the passage floor
    And they wont muck about, when you've gone out with the geezer from the house next door

If you ever go up to a Northern town, your legs will turn to jelly
    Cos the girls down there I swear are just like models off the telly
    But they don't need no make up, they look good as they are
    And they've always got a pound to buy a round
    When it's their turn at the bar

ReputationRep:
    If you're going by accent then apparently us Midlanders win it.

Otherwise, I'd say perhaps Northerners slightly more, although there are exceptions wherever you go.

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah, in my post I was trying to say the same. It's just the first thing I think of when I think of a Northern and a Southern accent There are some crazy accents and some lovely accents in the North and in the South to be honest, there isn't really a 'Northern' accent and a a 'Southern' accent.
    I totally agree. My friends from the other side of Manchester don't even have the same accent as me so I don't see how there good ever be a northern and southern accent let alone a more common one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HpFreak_Amy7192)
    If you're going by accent then apparently us Midlanders win it.

Otherwise, I'd say perhaps Northerners slightly more, although there are exceptions wherever you go.
    The Midlands have shockingly bad accents. :lolwut:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.