Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who are more 'common', Northerners or Southerners? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think that since the 'common' accent is associated with more lower class folk, and the north of britain is traditionally poorer / less economically well off than the south, northerners would be classed as more 'common'.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather be common than an arse.

At the Warwick open day, I was trying to describe my hometown. Nobody had heard of it and I jokingly referred to is as "the arse end of nowhere".
    To which the reply was "myes, I can tell that from your accent".
    The guy was totally serious, straight faced, without a shred of humour (I could understand it if he was having a laugh, but this was genuine). He then basically turned his back to me.

Where I come from, that's just considered rude. So maybe I don't pronounce EVERY letter of the alphabet, but that doesn't make any better or worse as a person.

And if it does make me common, then maybe I'd rather be common than an obnoxious **** (and yes, I am aware that not everyone south of Birmingham behaves like this, but he seemed to think it was appropriate and so did those I was speaking with).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smelly Ellie)
    Yeah they are pretty Northern Haha... Ok.... You have a good imagination
    Thank you....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noobynoo)
    Given that the some of the main gay capitals of the UK are in Manchester, Blackpool and Newcastle and highly doubt that.

Yeah obv. north is more 'common' since it has all the commoners who worked in the mining/steel/cotton industries and when they shut down you get generations of unemployed people on the dole.

I tend to find that in the south even people with the lowest jobs such as in sandwich shops are more intelligent than those in the north.

Northerners can just say random words with no meaning to them whatsoever: "aye... luv... wey aye... like...aye...like...luv ....like" but southerners tend to say things which make actual sense: "So what's your opinion on the Libyan situation?"
    The Gay capital of Europe is Brighton.

I think that there are "common" people in the North and South. And just because someone is from a "common" family does not mean that they aren't intelligent. My dad is a Geordie and he is one of the most intelligent people I know, but then again my mum is also very intelligent (not as intelligent as my dad but still very clever) and she is from Kent!

You get thick people, clever people, thin people, fat people, rich people, poor people, common people, posh people in BOTH the North and South.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayTeeKay)
    I'd rather be common than an arse.

At the Warwick open day, I was trying to describe my hometown. Nobody had heard of it and I jokingly referred to is as "the arse end of nowhere".
    To which the reply was "myes, I can tell that from your accent".
    The guy was totally serious, straight faced, without a shred of humour (I could understand it if he was having a laugh, but this was genuine). He then basically turned his back to me.

Where I come from, that's just considered rude. So maybe I don't pronounce EVERY letter of the alphabet, but that doesn't make any better or worse as a person.

And if it does make me common, then maybe I'd rather be common than an obnoxious **** (and yes, I am aware that not everyone south of Birmingham behaves like this, but he seemed to think it was appropriate and so did those I was speaking with).
    Wow, that is unbelievably rude, why do people think they are above everybody else, how infuriating. I would've probably insulted him (haha wahayy us commoners know how to stick up for ourselves at least)

ReputationRep:
    Essex beats the whole of the north. I'm allowed to say that because I'm from there.

ReputationRep:
    What a nice way to open up a can of worms.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, if you can live on the dole in Leeds you can live on the dole in London.

Also, you can apply for jobs in London before you go so you have a job to go to which is what most people do.

Also, if Polish immigrants can find work in London I'm sure it is not that hard for someone from up North who claims to be intelligent.
    Unless you could get a really good job down there, I think it's more intelligent to stay North.

It's dearer to live in London than it is up North. You could pay £200,000 for a house up here and get it detatched, nice garden and 4 bedroomed. From what I've seen on televised property shows, this would get you a terraced house at best in the south? *

* I'll admit the figures are guessed but it has been pointed out on these shows you 'get more for your money' in the north when it comes to housing.

ReputationRep:
    Given that the some of the main gay capitals of the UK are in Manchester, Blackpool and Newcastle and highly doubt that.

Yeah obv. north is more 'common' since it has all the commoners who worked in the mining/steel/cotton industries and when they shut down you get generations of unemployed people on the dole.

I tend to find that in the south even people with the lowest jobs such as in sandwich shops are more intelligent than those in the north.

Northerners can just say random words with no meaning to them whatsoever: "aye... luv... wey aye... like...aye...like...luv ....like" but southerners tend to say things which make actual sense: "So what's your opinion on the Libyan situation?"
    Ever heard of Brighton? I hear that's in the South.

I'm from the South myself I might add, but you're just making a fool of yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baula)
    Unless you could get a really good job down there, I think it's more intelligent to stay North.

It's dearer to live in London than it is up North. You could pay £200,000 for a house up here and get it detatched, nice garden and 4 bedroomed. From what I've seen on televised property shows, this would get you a terraced house at best in the south? *

* I'll admit the figures are guessed but it has been pointed out on these shows you 'get more for your money' in the north when it comes to housing.
    In fairness house prices are broadly proportional to income. The cost of living is higher in the south but so are salaries.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't we all just agree that the Scottish are more common than either the norht or south? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Contrary to popular belief, Southerners are more common than Northerners, and that is a fact. Seeing as there's a higher population density in the southernmost parts of England, Southerners are in higher abundance; therefore, they're more common.

Come at me bro.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's a north-south divide, as least north and south of England. Maybe there are more 'common' south Londoners than north Londoners, but that's down to things such as better housing, atmosphere and higher income I expect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    I speak with a posh english voice, so do all my friends. We are from Leeds.
    No you're not then. GTFO the north

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ian Holloway)
    Who do you think are more 'common', northerners or southerners? I think it would have to be northerners by a long stretch (with perhaps the possible exception of Essex in the south). Down south we speak with etiquette - the Queen's english, if you will. Up north, the locals don't seem very classy at all, there are more chavs and the accents sound rather more vulgar.

What are your thoughts?
    Clearly you haven't spent much time outside of Chelsea or leafy Buckinghamshire if you think that everyone here speaks in the Queen's.

We certainly don't in Kent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smelly Ellie)
    Wow, that is unbelievably rude, why do people think they are above everybody else, how infuriating. I would've probably insulted him (haha wahayy us commoners know how to stick up for ourselves at least)
    I seriously considered doing something but I thought:

1) I'm outnumbered here. The only other guy who has a regional accent in this half of the room comes from Essex. I somehow don't think pulling the racecard will work.

2) I could quite easily end up on the same course as these guys in October. If their first impression of me is a violent/confrontational one, it wont do me any good. I don't want to be known as the psychopath who went sick on a guy on the open day.

The REALLY annoying thing is that people in this town have a Lancastrian/Cumbrian accent, but mine sounds more Scottish than any of those.

There is a general trend. The further south you go, the less polite/friendly people are, to the point that saying "thanks" (or "ta" if you're me) after buying a tube ticket will get you stared at. Like I said, I'd rather be common than obnoxious and rude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adidas90)
    No you're not then. GTFO the north
    I plan on.

Haters gonna hate.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously considered doing something but I thought:

1) I'm outnumbered here. The only other guy who has a regional accent in this half of the room comes from Essex. I somehow don't think pulling the racecard will work.

2) I could quite easily end up on the same course as these guys in October. If their first impression of me is a violent/confrontational one, it wont do me any good. I don't want to be known as the psychopath who went sick on a guy on the open day.

The REALLY annoying thing is that people in this town have a Lancastrian/Cumbrian accent, but mine sounds more Scottish than any of those.

There is a general trend. The further south you go, the less polite/friendly people are, to the point that saying "thanks" (or "ta" if you're me) after buying a tube ticket will get you stared at. Like I said, I'd rather be common than obnoxious and rude.
    Haha I suppose, I would've done it anyway, I'm silly like that. They seriously are, noone in London looks around or smiles, they just stare at the ground and charge around. I had to stop myself from smiling in case people thought I was hitting on them or something...

ReputationRep:
    West Midlands accents are hilarious - my uncle is from Wolves and i get no end of joy taking the piss.

Northerners in general trump southerners - been in london 3 years now and the unfriendly nature of the place is really grating at times. Not saying there aren't friendly southerners - just most of my friends/my girlfriend are from Manchester and i prefer the city and the general 'northern' laid-back attitude.

I'm from Nottingham which is the Midlands, but if you go slightly north in Nottinghamshire to places like Worksop and Mansfield there is a gradual change to a more yorkshire-sounding accent.

See, i know what you mean here - i always say thanks to the driver when getting off the bus which always get me dodgy looks from people. Do it all the time in my hometown (nottingham).

As for the story you told above, what a ****?! I mean, i wouldn't advise any kind of violent response - but flicking the v's and blowing a raspeberry should just about cover it!

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Essex and we aren't all like the people on programmes like 'The Only Way Is Essex' !!! Some/Most of us are lovely !!! xxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.