Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm doing the pain-inflicting preparation for the exams now, but the problem is I want to sleep too often.

I've been able to do 6-7 hours of pure revision per day, but would like to max it to 10, but sometimes (either in the afternoon or evening) I really want to sleep.

Any advice?

(I know about coffee - but is it really helpful? I drink it and still want to sleep)

Anything else?

thanks.

Fatigued IB student.

Off to sleep for an hour...

ReputationRep:
    Do you drink lots of tea/coffee/ red bull normally?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .snowflake.)
    Do you drink lots of tea/coffee/ red bull normally?
    coffee only ice-cold. Tea - same. I'm not a fan of hot drinks, really (well, maybe in winter only).

I've been advised against red bull, so I don't drink it any more.

I drank coffee when I opened this topic and then went to sleep - and have only just waken up! - not helpful.

ReputationRep:
    That's impressive sir.

ReputationRep:
    dont stay on one subject for too long, that way you get bored and lose focus really quick.
    i also drink coffee but only works for about 2 hours.. and why not red bull? i have it quite often actually just before my studies

ReputationRep:
    take a ten minute nap in the morning and afternoon in addition to caffeine, that should make you perkier for revision!

Motivation is also key as your eyes will tell you 'just ten more minutes perleaaaazzzz' and you mustn't give in!! Then, next thing you know two hours have gone by because you let your sleep take over and you won't be able to concentrate because you're spazzing over lost time.

GOOD LUCK WITH BATTLING SLEEP DEPRIVATION (and IB)!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'd suggest an afternoon nap. And plenty of herbal tea.

Hang in there for a few more weeks!

ReputationRep:
    I just do 20 minutes on 5 minutes off
    9-12
    1-5
    7-10
    It's so hard to keep too!!
    I'd appreciate any tips on tiredness, i don't like coffee, might try red bull?

ReputationRep:
    thanks. Will try to do that.

How many hours per day (of pure revision) do you have?

I can't get more than 7 hours!

ReputationRep:
    Pure revision I would say 7 hours maximum. I do revise but occasionally get distracted. It's difficult but not too long now!!! I just know i will regret it if i dont put as much effort in and don't get the grades.

ReputationRep:
    I wish you get good grades, I do study for only 1 hour, we are not doing much at the school, I am at the first year, the teachers always says OCC OCC OCC OCC.

ReputationRep:
    I remember my revision days...
    Full days of classes after all IAs, TOK and EE are done...I studied from 9-12:35, then 1:30 start again until 3:10. One hour nap from 4-5. Then from 7-12AM/whenever you ABSOLUTELY can't go any longer. That's a lot of studying, yes, but I went to an...only-OK IB school.
    Try to make concise goals rather than time goals (ie 30 pages of reading, then break for water/coffee/bathroom as opposed to 20 minutes of study, then off for a break).

As for your original question...the NAP is the best thing I ever did during that time. It was regular, I was tired and I needed sleep...Just give yourself an hour or an hour and a half to sleep, then when you get up, have a coffee to wake yourself up. Worked for me every time. You preserve sleep and make your body happy, while going through a lot more hours of study. And sleep in until...8 if possible.

As well, keep up the exercise as well. Surprisingly, you'll feel more awake.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.